2015 diets (sorry)

Yep, Im sorry, someone was going to mention it and i feel it should be me as I sit here after stuffing my face for 3 days.

Im sure Ive put on at least half a stone since Xmas, my stomach feels like a football has been nesting in it.

I really feel like its about time I tried to lose weight. Im heading towards 40, spent the last few years overweight. Dieting has never appealed to me and previous attempts have dwindled back into my usual habits.
I have junk food in the cupboard swhich I refuse to throw away, but as soon as they go, I wont buy anymore.

Im going to hate every second of it.

My goal is to lose 2 stone in however long that takes.

Who is going to join me?

6 Likes

Until last summer Iā€™d never dieted before. Never needed to to be honest. I love to eat, but I eat a pretty good balanced diet, I donā€™t like red meat and donā€™t eat many carbs anyway (due to dietary reasons) but I began a new job where I was able to come home for lunch- and I began just grazing when I came home for my lunch break- so within a month Iā€™d put half a stone on- which was all the motivation I needed.
I read about the 5:2 diet, including buying the actual book to read about the science behind it. And Iā€™ve got to say- it was great!
Within 2 months Iā€™d lost a stone, but it was fairly gradual which was my aim.- less likely to put it back on!! The first week was quite difficult and the odd day after that was- but I wasnā€™t insanely strict with myself, if I was going out for a meal or something I just wouldnā€™t do it. I continued until a couple of months ago, and then just sort of stopped, not intentially- I just got a bit lazy with trying I think- but I havenā€™t put any of the weight back on.
I didnā€™t find it difficult though- it was easy, and I could see the difference really quickly but it felt healthy! I felt like I had more energy and felt less lethargic when I got home from work. And despite what some people said (whoā€™d never actually tried it) The day after the 500kcal fast days you donā€™t feel like you can eat a horse- your body adjusts pretty quickly and I was able to get up and not crave breakfast which surprised me.
I am going to give it a go again this year- well, 2015 as ideally Iā€™d like to lose another half stone. :blush:

All the best with yours- Iā€™m sure youā€™ll burn off that excess Christmas food pretty quickly!! :blush::blush:

1 Like

Ive heard of the 5:2 diet. it seems to appeal to me as dieting is dull when its 24-7. If its just for a couple of days it wont fee like such an effort. Il look into it more.
The whole family is on a diet so hopefully things may work for me/us this time.

1 Like

I started Slimming World in Sept 2013 and have lost 4st 8lb so far! About another stone and Iā€™m done! Totally recommend it as a sustainable way of healthy eating!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve done my own version of the 5.2 diet which I started almost a year ago. OK I know thats a long time but Iā€™ve done really well and managed to loose 2 stone. Iā€™m still going to continue with it until I reach either 11 stone or maybe go as far as 10 1/2 stone. Iā€™ve tried for years and years to loose this much so thats the reason for me been so happy about it.

3 Likes

The pumpkin weighed 4st 7lbs which was what I had lost at Halloween! ! It took 2 of us to lift it onto the stage lol!

16 Likes

Susan thatā€™s amazing, well done!

The 5:2 appeals to me too, friend gave me the book to read a while ago and it did al make sense. But something in the book struck home to me more than the fasting: only eat if you are hungry. Iā€™ve been trying to follow that as a starter and it has made me realise just how much extra fuel Iā€™ve been consuming out of habit just because it is ā€œmealtimeā€ - and I know I donā€™t burn it off in a normal day. Iā€™ve lost 4lb over a couple of months without really trying just by being more aware of when and what Iā€™m eating.

I need to shift a couple of stones though, otherwise my bionic hips wont last more than another 5 or 6 years. Aquacise is appealing, I did it as therapy after my operations. I may start that again.

2 Likes

I did the 5:2 diet for a few weeks, but I found the food very boring so eventually gave up. I have to say, though, that it was easier than I would have thought to ā€œfastā€ but this time, I think I will try just eating less - simple, but effective, I would have thought. Wish me luck, I have a lot to shift. Dottie you are my inspiration, well done on your marvelous weight loss - you look fantastic.x

3 Likes

Well done Susan !!! I have been on a diet since I was about 16ā€¦ clearly Iā€™m not very good at it :slight_smile: Instead of making New Year resolutions (which I always fail at) I am doing birthday resolutions. My birthday was on 01 Dec and within the next year I want to get down to 10 - 10.5 stone, stop smoking, clear my outstanding loan, find a man, get a new full time job and sell more online, be it here or on other sites. Itā€™s lots of things to achieve but I need some big changes in life as I feel s though I have drifted through the past 10 years and mainly because of someone who it didnā€™t actually deserve any of my time. Not sure if I will manage them all but my mind is definitely in the right zone at the moment :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow - thatā€™s encouraging @dottiedesigns!!

1 Like

Iā€™ll be joining you!!

Well done! What motivation!

1 Like

@SamsGemstoneJewellery We seem to want to achieve the same goals. Good luck with it all.

My daughter lost a lot of weight with the help of Paul McKenna- he does ā€˜hypnotismā€™ CDs. Apparently she doesnā€™t listen to the CDs any more, she just eats until she feels sheā€™s had enough. Which results in me having to bin food when sheā€™s here but I suppose itā€™s no more wasteful than eating it when itā€™s not required!
As for me, Iā€™m at an age when Iā€™ve lost weight so many times and put it back on again that I just donā€™t weigh myself any more, just donā€™t eat to much and go for walks up hillsā€¦

Sadly i dont tend to stop when Im full. eg last night I felt full but still ate more food. I think I see bad food as a positive to counteract the negative of the day. I need to change the way I think about that.

1 Like

I lost over a stone and a half on the 5:2 diet which was more than my goal. It took about 8 months to lose that much. I hate having to restrict what food I can eat because I love food, especially puddings and cake! I decided I would have to live with being a bit overweight or do something and thought Iā€™d give the 5:2 a go. I found it much easier to fast two days than having to restrict myself every day and I was really surprised that I could eat normally on the other days, including treats at the weekend, and still lose the weight. I must say that I still do the fasting now to keep the weight off - I am in the habit and I know I would put it back on eventually if I stopped. I donā€™t do it when Iā€™m on holiday though. I am having a fast day today after a week of eating too much but I will only do one day this week and go back to it properly next week. Whatever you decide to do, good luck xx

1 Like

Good luck with your goals, Sam. I canā€™t help with most of them, but I can say that if youā€™re looking for a new man, you really should try internet dating. It took me 18 months to find the man of my dreams and I kissed a few frogs along the way, but it was all worth it to meet my fella. Weā€™ve been together for 2 years next week and are making plans for the rest of our lives together. I never expected to be pushing 50 and in love again. I wish you all the best.
x

6 Likes

I think you are right Liz Dyson, I just need to pluck up the courage to do it :slight_smile:

Seriously impressive! :smiley:

1 Like

Awwwww liz that is so sweet, is it wedding bells for 2015 I hear?