Do you add buyers to a mailing list?

I may be wrong but I think it is legal to add people who buy from us to a mailing list without asking their permission. I have been debating doing this myself so that I can send them an occasional newsletter. Does anyone do this? What do you think the pros / cons are?

Thanks

Jane

I have no idea about the legality of it, but would be interested to know the answer as Iā€™ve been thinking of doing something similar myself. I did contact a few regular buyers by e-mail to offer a discount code, and I added a note to say I would remove their details if they didnā€™t want to be contacted again. I would imagine that as long as you give them the option to unsubscribe, it would be ok. Personally, I wouldnā€™t send out too many, as I find it really annoying when other companies flood my inbox with newsletters, offers etc, but an occasional one wouldnā€™t bother me too much.

Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s not legal unless the customers sign up for it. Thereā€™s the Data Protection Act to consider so you have to have permission first.

Christine, I canā€™t remember if I signed up for information or not, but I was quite happy to be contacted with a discount code! As long as you remove details of those who wish to opt out I canā€™t see much problem with it.

3 Likes

I found a couple of interesting links/guidance sites:

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-pecr/electronic-mail/

That was a bit of a ā€˜catch-upā€™ exercise Margaret - when Folksy introduced the discount codes I thought it would be nice to offer something to my regular buyers, and no-one asked me not to contact them again! :smile: . In future, Iā€™ll be able to include the code with the repeat orders instead, so it shouldnā€™t be an issue.

Maybe Iā€™ll add a ā€˜subscribeā€™ option to my website and collect e-mail addresses at craft fairs to create a mailing list for newsletters/special offers. That will mean that everyone has ā€˜opted-inā€™ and given their consent.

Personally I get very annoyed if I start getting advertising mail from a place I bought something from, they always get marked as spam and it puts me off buying anything from them again.

As a general rule, we do ask that you donā€™t add buyers to mailing lists unless they have specifically opted in:

In using Folksy you agree not to contact your buyers unless they have opted-in to any further communication (through any channel - phone, mail or electronic).

You can ask your customer if they would like to opt-in to marketing based communications from you at the point at which you deliver the goods, for example in any literature you send with your item (or if they were to contact you for any reason), but you must not assume that they have opted in unless they have expressly chosen to do so. No one likes unsolicited communication.

Source: Legal Information: what sellers need to comply with ā€“ Folksy Support & Knowledge Base

Itā€™s also less likely your emails will get marked as spam - which can sometimes lead to ISPs blacklisting you - if you ask first!

Mailchimp* (*other mailing list services are available) have lots of guidance on best practice:

5 Likes

Usefulā€¦thanks @sianfolksy

I wonā€™t send any more e-mails, I promise! :smile:

I thought so. Itā€™s always best to ask the customers first. Even betterā€¦add a note somewhere that customers can add themselves or contact you.

Sorry, I wasnā€™t having a go at you! I said ā€œas a general ruleā€. The introduction of discount codes was a special occasion :wink:

1 Like

Yep. If you use a mailing list service (like Mailchimp - just using them as an example again because we use them!) they probably have a simple signup form that you can create. You can send a link to the signup form out to customers - maybe in your email signature or with any comms regarding orders (or post it on your social media channels!) - so they can subscribe to news/updates/special offers etc.

Iā€™m sure I read somewhere that Mailchimp doesnā€™t like you adding customers without their permission. I think they can suspend your accountā€¦or something like. Best to check!

True - they donā€™t like it, because it increases the likelihood that you will get blacklisted (see this link again http://kb.mailchimp.com/accounts/compliance-tips/ask-before-you-blast) and reduces deliverability. But if customers subscribe through a sign-up form, they are giving their permission to be added to the mailing list.

Thanks everyone. Very helpful. Must admit I was a bit reluctant anyway. I attended a presentation recently that was encouraging this but I think I will give it a miss.

Thanks

Jane

Iā€™ve reported companies before who have added me to a mailing list after Iā€™ve bought from them. As I wasnā€™t ask if I wanted to join their mailing list.

Itā€™s illegal in the UK. We have the opt in, not opt out law.
Companies who get reported and continually report get their emails identified as spammers which means their emails blacklisted and blocked. Itā€™s a breach of our Data Protection Act.

1 Like

I agree with Donna.

I look on most advertising mail as spam, and bin it without reading.

Sarah x

1 Like

Once I was contacted by a magazine about something and I replied that I couldnā€™t help. Two days later I received a newsletter from them but I couldnā€™t opt out as there was no option. I couldnā€™t reply to the email as they were not receiving emails there. I had to find their contact details and ask them to delete me. I felt my email address was held hostage!

do people find the mailing list useful in general with significant followers? Im not sure if it would be worth the effort or not?

deleted my post as Iā€™d forgotten Iā€™d already posted earlier lol