Does anyone find twitter useful? Or facebook ads?

Hi

I started my twitter account this week and popped my twitter cherry!

I have to be honest I don’t see the point - as so many people tweet and people follow so many different people that tweets come and go so quickly that how does anyone see them? Its just another thing to keep up with!

Does anyone find it has helped them?

I guess its good for connecting as some nice wildlife organisations following me…but still…

Although I was excited to see the UN secretary general of sustainable business was following me…then he disappeared…probably clicked on me accidentally! Oh well!

lol

Jenni :smile:

1 Like

I do tweet my links, Ive tweeted hundreds but can say Ive only made 1 sale that I know of due to Twitter. I think I only do it because theres a twitter button on each Folksy page.
Im sure it works for some people for sales, but not me. I really must stop doing it.
But really not sure where else to advertise(for free, except FB).

Its good to chat to like minded people, or anyone you wouldn’t usually talk to, Ive had interaction with Kate Hardie, Carol Decker, Al Murray, Gazza.

Thanks GrimmExhibition.

When you use face book, do you ever pay for ads?

I paid $20 and got nearly 100 clicks on my website over 24hours but I’m still not sure if its worth it either

1 Like

Hi, I’ve had quite a few sales through Twitter, although I do Tweet most days. It does seem a bit silly and does take time, but it has worked for me! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not known for being succinct so doubt I could stick to the charater limit thus have never tried tweeting. Facebook I do find useful but for showing off commissions which then leads to more commissions as other people think ‘oooooh I want one of those’. I do put up posts about things in the shop and have links to the shop but I don’t think it generates much traffic to the shop (did put up a picture of something saying I was going to have to get back to listing stuff in the near future and someone messaged me back almost instantly to say don’t bother listing that you just sold it to me and the transaction was completed face to face). Never bothered with facebook ads.
See what I mean about character limits.
Sasha

3 Likes

Ive not paid for fb ads, but with a network of people I chat to I have made some sales. A friend of an fb friend was religious and she bought some cross shaped XMas decs last year via chatting on fb.
I think my pal paid for an fb ad, she got lots of likes but didn’t get the impression it turned into sales.

1 Like

So a few people have made a few through twitter and facebook, but not many then?

Is there anywhere else good to invest your time?

I launched my website this week so I find doing that folksy and facebook and twitter tough! (I am totally ignoring my etsy page!)

There are still people in the world who don’t have smartphones, or don’t have the connectivity to see pictures. For them texts and tweets are ideal.

Also, you can see every tweet of every person you follow, unlike facebook where somebody else decides what you can see. Then of course you can link your accounts, so a facebook post creates a tweet automatically, so now your twitter followers know you posted something even if they don’t get it in their facebook newsfeed - what’s not to like!

And it’s really easy to tweet a new listing, and it’s free!

3 Likes

oh I had no idea you can do that-how to you do it? Fab!

Hi

I like Twitter, but it’s really hard saying what you want to with so few characters. I’m a chatterbox so I find it almost impossible :blush:
I’m not sure if any of my tweets have resulted in a sale.
I find this promotion lark quite a difficult balance. I really don’t want to come across spammy so I try not to bash one particular social media constantly.
I try to spread my posts.

I like Facebook, but I don’t get a lot of interaction on my page. I haven’t paid for any promotion so it’s interesting to hear how others utilise this.

Instagram is perhaps my favourite. People tend to interact a lot more and I do feel noticed when I post.
I feel like I’m wearing Harry Potters invisibility cloak on most social media platforms :wink:

Hey up I’m rambling on again. I would never have got all of this on a tweet :blush:

Karen. :wave:

it’s under managing a page. it says:

"You can link your profile or Page to your Twitter account so that you can share your Facebook posts on Twitter. To link your accounts, go to www.facebook.com/twitter and follow the on-screen instructions.

After you’ve linked your profile or Page, you can choose the types of posts (ex: status, photo) that you want to share on Twitter. Go to www.facebook.com/twitter and click Edit Settings below your profile or the Page you linked."

Another place you may have seen on the forums is Craftjuice. Once again it’s free, and when you get the 5 votes (which we do for each other) they put it on facebook and twitter too, so you can like and retweet their posts that ultimately points back to your Folksy shop :smile:

1 Like

my cousin who is helping me put up some pics of my stuff last night on instagram and its been well received apparently…

not really used that either…

I can never get all my words in a twitter post! and I get confused with @ and # etc

I recently learned # is instagram, is that right?

thanks so much!

just did it!

That’s one easier thing!

…I shall check craftjuice out…

Yes you can go hashtag mad on Instagram :blush:

I’m dabbling abit with Google+ too. There are a lot of groups to join and it’s quite easy to use.

I’m definitely going to give Craftjuice a second try. It’s changed quite abit since I last used it.

Karen

1 Like

I’m doing a bit of research at the moment and one aspect of it is around interaction with social media. And to be honest, although I’ve previously said that I’m not convinced Twitter is worthwhile, so far I’m finding that my tweets about my Folksy listings are getting more engagement and interaction than my Facebook posts, Pinterest pins or even my posts on this Forum!!!

So it makes me wonder if I should be concentrating my marketing effort there instead…?

That’s great! Maybe things work differently for different people?

How do people interact, is it that they favour your posts and re-tweet?

If you are posting as your business then think - you might only want to favourite a post that your friend has a new kitten, but retweet a post promoting a craft fair you are taking part in :smile:

1 Like

I’ve never paid for any ads, too tight I’m afraid, but I use a mix of social media. According to analytics, most traffic to my Folksy shop comes from Google, folksy and Pinterest and facebook . I also get traffic from another website who featured one of my hats to go with their dresses, which is great as I didn’t have to do a thing.

Traffic to my Etsy shop is a bit different with hits coming from polyvore, where someone must have featured my items, I’ve never used polyvore.

My favourite at the moment is Instagram, because we can use all the folksy hash tags #folksywip etc and share instantaneously with facebook, Twitter, timblr etc. I like to share photos of work in progress, to show my handmade skills, I have an iPad which has changed everything for me and made all this easier. Sue :cat:

3 Likes

Just to add, I use craft juice sporadically, when I’m in the mood, because they do show up pretty quickly on google images.

Twitter is useful for chatting directly to folk, such as, I tweet Royal Mail if I have a shipping problem, or I tweet to thank people if they have shared my item on a blog. I don’t think Twitter directly gets my items that many hits, or it would rank higher in my Analytics stats x

1 Like

I have a twitter account but hardly used it. I also have a Facebook page and since May this year I’ve had 17 sorry 18 orders through it. They are not just 1 item orders to one person they are 3 & 4’s. I’ve been kept busy constantly since then. These orders have come through by me just showcasing something I’ve made that day not from paying to advertise. I shall be sticking to Facebook more often.

2 Likes