Does anyone share my phobia of hairdressers?

I havnt been for over a year, lack of money not a phobia, Id rather buy glitter.
I so rarely go that I was stunned one time, when I realised that its not standard anymore to actually dry the customers hair!!! I was amazed, who would want to go outside with wet hair!! Having my hair dried meant paying £15 more! Unbelievable!

1 Like

I’m really surprised at how many ladies have a phobia or dislike to going to the hairdressers. I thought it was just me.
Since I was 3 I’ve really hated going. I remember my mum bribing me with a bag of butterscotch candies to have my unruly, curly hair snipped.

I still get really anxious about going, and I always leave my next appointment way too long and end up looking frizz ended and frazzled.

Spookily enough I went yesterday and had a full colour, cut & style. I’m really happy with the results.
I have a lovely hairdresser who doesn’t chatter too much, but puts me at ease. I too struggle sometimes with small talk, especially if I don’t feel comfortable in a situation.

As for looking at my reflection in the mirror whilst having my hair done… Well I can’t see a thing once I take my glasses off. Just a blurry outline…lol

4 Likes

That takes me back to being bribed by mam to have my hair cut short when I was little. She bribed me with a spice girls Easter egg.

3 Likes

I could always be bribed by a sweet treat… I’m still the same now lol :wink:

3 Likes

I must confess I like going to the hairdressers. I don’t go very often, maybe 3 times a year, but I look forward to it, it’s like a treat! The same lady has done my hair for about 15 years…and if I want something different I try to take a picture to show her the sort of thing I like.

Kim
x

1 Like

It’s so interesting to read all your replies, and realise I’m not alone! It smashes that old cliche that we ladies love being ‘pampered’ in the salon! But what next? Will you be telling me you’re not obsessed with shoes and handbags? :smile:

2 Likes

It annoys me when the hairdresser is a tad rude. I had a male hairdresser once and I asked what would suit me, seeing as I assume they are supposed to know about face shape and what suits it etc and he said " I dunno, shave it all off?" What a moron.

Plus I have quite unusual tastes at times, Ive tried some interesting ideas which look better on models/actresses than on a real person like me. I wanted a fashionable doo in the last few years, short at the back going longer at the front( I think posh spice brought it back to fashion but I recall the girl from Dempsey and Makepeace having it first) I asked for it to be quite long at the front as i wanted a big contrast, and the hairdresser(female) said " “we don’t want it to look stupid, do we”. Rude.

2 Likes

I hate going too, I have to go tomorrow :frowning:
I never look at myself in the mirror, which makes it a bit awkward when they ask if you like the finished result! And they always talk to you with the hairdryer on, so you can’t hear what they are saying.
I always feel I have to wash my hair before going as well, even though I’m getting it washed there - couldn’t possibly go with it messy or dirty!

1 Like

I love having my hair done and have had lots of fun over the years changing styles and colours. When I want a change, I take some photos of what I would like. I quite like a chat with the stylist, but I never tip except at Christmas.

1 Like

I used to have thanks to mum briefing them before I arrived, so it never mattered what I said! I have naturally curly hair, growing up in Nigeria they were ringlets. Returning to the uk Mum would blow dry it into a smooth pageboy, moving to the Middle East this continued and would stay straight in the dry conditions. Mum has very short hair and took a lot of persuading to be able to grow it long. Years of the routine, hanging onto the tall stool while it was dried straight. When it was finally halfway down my back I was due to come back to the UK to boarding school, as mum had decided I would not be able to look after it myself, it was off to the hairdressers and the whole lot chopped off, with dad taking photos! At 14 mum had the bright idea that a perm would control my curls in the British dampness, yep an 80s bubble perm just as they fell out of fashion. At this point I took myself to a different hair dressers and paid myself, the only way I could control my fate.

I found my current hairdresser 10 years ago and trust her completely, she knows its quirks so well. If you want something that won’t suit you or will ruin your hair, she won’t do it, she doesn’t want her name put to something bad, which I respect.

I never blow dry it, just frizz ease when wet, turban dry and leave it to curl away. I treat myself to a straight dry when it’s coloured or for something special. Clips, pins, twisting up all friends of long hair. I almost had a panic attack when she announced she was pregnant 2 years ago, her cover wasn’t great, rushed me through in two thirds the time, not too careful round the hair line to get all those stragglers that come with curls, and more facial piercings than I was comfortable with. My lifeline returned and has gone solo, we can do evenings to work round childcare issues. She never tries to sell me anything, knowing I wouldn’t have any use for most products. My best friend has moved over to her, trusting her with post-chemo hair, she comes over and does both of us, we do tea and cakes while colours are absorbing.

1 Like

I thought it was just me! I hate going to the hairdressers which is one reason why I have long hair and only go about twice a year. Having said that, My last hairdresser was nice but watched Music TV whilst cutting my hair so I was always trying to direct his attention back to my hair. Last time I went to him he completely missed the front. Of course I asked nicely if he thought the front might need a trim and then had to go home and do it myself (I haven’t been back). Anyway, now I have a LOVELY Norwegian man who cuts my hair perfectly. He knows I don’t trust him not to cut too much and it looks like he is cutting too much but it’s always a lovely cut and we laugh about it. He knows what he’s doing. I’m happy now and hope he never moves :-)smiley: Here’s hoping you all have a new successful experience like mine.

2 Likes

Lucky you,Terry! I was keeping my hair shoulder length and getting my daughter to give it a trim now and then but thought I should get it done properly for the wedding. When I got out of bed this morning, though, my new “do” looked ridiculous, sticking out all over the place, so I’ve had to stick my head under the shower and I’m letting it dry naturally. Back to the home trim and saving a bit of dosh next time!..

No, I can’t stand going to the hairdressers either. I’m off to a wedding today with just my normal style, done myself - I even did my own hair for my own wedding! Luckily my step-daughter is a hairdresser so she cuts it for me a couple of times a year. I have my hair dyed at home by my daughter or long-suffering husband. I can’t even remember the last time I set foot in a salon!

1 Like

I hate hairdressers, think it is having someone run their fingers through my hair and placing themselves right inside my bubble of personal space. I can not make small talk either. I take a trip to the hair dresser once every 18-24 months and so glad I am female so I don’t need to keep it short.

Hope you can over come your fear for the wedding and have a fabulous time.

1 Like

Funnily enough seeing this thread reminds me I’ve got to book myself in for my highlights as my grey is starting to show. :open_mouth:

Over the years (I’m 45) I’ve had many different hairdressers at different salons, and only two of which I’ve felt 100% comfortable with; luckily my current hairdresser is one of them. I’ve also paid lots of money in top salons and am now at a hairdressers which will colour, cut and dry for £50; I was paying 3 times that at a well known high-end salon but with the same result!

I don’t mind small talk as I can do that with the best of them, but I do read my book sometimes and even been known to take some sewing with me (that starts a good conversation!). I also suffer with anxiety and depression and have been through some bad times with it, but my hairdresser knows about it, and is patient and supportive if I’m not up for chatting.

1 Like

Oh yes, yes I hate the hair dressers, I’d rather go to the dentist!!
I get around it by only having my hair cut once or twice a year by a lady who comes to my house and I trim my fringe myself every now and again.

2 Likes

I used to hate going to the hairdressers but my current hairdresser is fab. We have lots in common and, even though i’m a bit antisocial, we can happily chat for hours. I trust her completely and she always makes my hair look better than i can. I can sympathise though - Until i started going to my current hairdresser I hated every minute. I blame my mum for a damaged childhood of pageboy haircuts and dodgy home perms!
I have to admit thought - ii do wish they’d use softer lighting. I’m sure my ‘laughter lines’’ aren’t as bad as they look in their mirrors. Not helped by the fact my hairdresser is at least 10-years younger than me!

1 Like

Not a fan but have found a lovely girl who cuts mine for £10 a go - she doesn’t wash it but sprays it wet before cutting. She is the only hairdresser I have ever met who understands that I need to have my fringe cut short so I can see! I used to have really long lank hair that did nothing but a couple of years ago I just went to her and said just chop it all off - I gave her pretty much a free rein and was super pleased with the result. I hate the blow drying thing, I never dry my hair myself just leave it to dry naturally, and I always come out with it all pouffed up which I hate! Always leave it far too long between cuts - have been due a trim for several weeks…maybe next week.

1 Like

Don’t suppose any of you who love your hairdresser lives near Wimbledon?.. :slight_smile:

Do you tip? I don’t.

My Mum used to tip them but I don’t know anybody else who does. Hairdressers are self employed and pay the salon rent for their station, so it’s not like a waiter who is paid a low wage and gets tips on top.

My face often looks a little pale in the mirror so I use bronzer before I go. Not a heavy “The Only Way is Essex” style one. I find that L’Oreal’s bronzer for blondes is nice and subtle. I’m a brunette, but I use it because it’s light and not shiny so it doesn’t pick up wrinkles.

If you don’t want to talk, read the magazines, or if you don’t like the ones they have, bring one of your own. They won’t mind as you’re paying them, after all.

Do you use separate shampoo and conditioner? If you do this, your hair will blow-dry much better at home and if you buy a small round brush you can use it to give your hair a bit of volume as you dry.

I’m sure if you are more relaxed you will find it easier to describe what you want and will come out feeling much happier about your hair.

1 Like