Environmentally friendly or cheap?

I’m just musing about packaging. I hate waste and I am an avid recycler, so every time I get a padded envelope, box or piece of bubblewrap, I put it aside and reuse it to send out my creations. My question is… if you were buying on Folksy and had paid a fair price for your item, would it bother you if it arrived in clearly second-hand packaging? In your mind, would it de-value the item you had purchased? I’m curious to hear other people’s opinions…

2 Likes

I’m more concerned about an item arriving in good condition than what it’s packed in.

8 Likes

I added this to another topic earlier but it is most relevant to your question.
This is what my customer emailed me today re the packaging i used :

"They have arrived safely, I’m sure my wife will love them.
Also, really impressed with the way they were packaged"

So there you have it. It was packaged with big bubble and even bigger bubble… from my last sheet glass delivery and cardboard from the box i cut up as too big for my needs…sent out in a recycled box collected from my local post office …oh and wide brown sellotape all round it to make sure it bounced if dropped.

So feel free to use and recycle whatever you can get your hands on :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
If it were not 1am I would add a photo here of the recycled packaging stacked up and falling all over the place in my studio…oooops garage.

6 Likes

I think people are most concerned with how well the item is packed and if it was sufficiently protected in transit.

I often reuse packing as long as it is clean and in good condition - no one has ever asked if it was environmentally friendly or perhaps even noticed that it was second hand. I think it is just a question of common sense to reuse packaging where appropriate.

5 Likes

I am the same as the others, reuse if clean and no advertising on the box. Well padded to ensure a perfect delivery.

Sadly I will not pay the price for recycled packaging, maybe if my prices were those of Harrods could afford to buy it. Anything like packaging has to be factored into the costs and never had a customer complain. Like Joy quite the opposite and always complimented on my packaging.

2 Likes

Same for me, always recycle where possible and while I do use new sometimes I try and use up what’s in my recycled stash first.
As a customer, as others have said, as long as the item arrived safely it wouldn’t bother me what it was packaged in, it certainly wouldn’t add or detract from the value.

3 Likes

I reuse clean packaging for larger items and have never had a complaint. For my smaller things that just go in the post with a large letter stamp, I buy self-sealing plastic-free ribbed envelopes in bulk boxes of 100 or 200 at a time - my biggest problem is then finding space to store them! It adds 20p or so to my costs but I reckon I get that back in terms of the time it saves when packing orders as there is no trimming/mending/covering over labels to do, so no I didn’t raise my prices when I started using new envelopes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It really does depend I think… If I were buying something from me (things that are usually gifts for the buyer themselves or for others), I would want them to arrive beautifully presented. If I were buying it for myself, it’d doubtless be a treat for me rather than an essential and I’d therefore like it to arrive like a gift, packaged in that way. Call me shallow, but if it were all recycled packaging, it might not feel that way. Also, I know that people who buy gifts for others from me appreciate the careful packaging so that they have minimal effort to wrap it up to gift it on. I also know that a lot of people enjoy the packages that arrive when they’ve bought for themselves because they tell me so.

I absolutely do think that you can recycle some packaging and where I need to use bubble wrap, I always use recycled (as does my husband for his business, as a very messy packaging storage corner in our dining room can attest!). If I receive things in cardboard boxes that are ‘like new’ when they arrive, I will reuse them after tidying them up and same goes for mailers I receive, which I often turn inside out, trim to be tidy and put my own new packaging inside them to keep it dry.

Mostly though, I do use new packaging and I’ve worked hard to find the best deals for recycled / recyclable stuff. Most of my things go into PiP large letter cardboard boxes with acid free tissue or recyclable padded envelopes. Cardboard boxes then go into Sugar Cane mailers that are fully compostable to protect from weather damage - essential when you ship overseas I think.

I do use regular sellotape sparingly to stick labels on and am always on the look out for a better product, when it’s been invented as an affordable option! I do also use Kraft paper tape where I can and hate how expensive it is, but I try to work some overhead for packaging costs into my product pricing process. I think it helps if you have a shop like mine where I’m mostly offering pieces made to the same size and shape with different fabrics - I’ve been able to perfect the most cost effective but ‘nice’ way to package and post things up front and can just replicate that to new items as I introduce them.

In case it’s useful to anyone, this is where I buy my sugarcane mailers, I think they’re pretty reasonably priced per item, although you’ve got to order a lot up front: Eco Mailing Bags | Sugar Cane Mailing Bags | Kite Packaging

Hope I’m not the only shallow one… :smile: Also another thought - I do sometimes wonder if when we ask customers: “do you mind if I send your piece in recycled packaging?” they might say: “of course not!” when it isn’t necessarily what they think but feel socially guilted to say? And, if I bought myself a delicate piece of pottery or glass, I don’t think I’d give it a thought if it arrived in a load of recycled packaging - especially if the actual item at the centre was nicely wrapped in tissue and presented with a card / note. So as I’ll end this essay as I began - I think it depends… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

8 Likes

As a buyer I don’t really mind what the item is packaged in so long as I receive what I ordered, in good condition and in a reasonable time. As a seller I do use nice (recycled, or else purchased from a small business!) wrapping paper if something’s been bought for a gift, although if it’s not going straight to the recipient I tend to go for tissue paper instead because I imagine the buyer will want to unwrap it and see what they’re gifting. Sellotape is unfortunately sometimes necessary for sticking on labels as paper tape doesn’t necessarily stick very well to some sorts of padded envelope, although I’m getting better at working out what will stick to what! Useful tip about the sugarcane mailers by the way, I already use Kite Packaging for envelopes and tape :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I was on an American site years ago and they always sent out purchases as if a gift, they were a delight to open and whether for me or to gift on, you felt special as a customer. So yes I may be shallow as well. I want to feel as if the seller cares and if a handcrafted item made with love, packaged with care as they are proud of what they do and how the present the purchase. Yes would be lovely if we could all afford special kind to the environment packaging but these costs have to be passed on to the customer and I would rather have the item arrive as it should than in a box reissued.

4 Likes

I do love receiving items I have bought from other Folksy sellers beautifully packaged - and am always very jealous of those who sell small and neatly shaped items. But try doing that with a basket! For many handled baskets I collect used potato bags from my local village shop to pack them into. Apple boxes work beautifully for my rush hats. Wherever possible we recycle out packaging and like others we have a statement to that effect on our front page and suggest the buyer reuses whatever materials we have used. If you sell many small items all similar sized, then the cost of good packaging etc might well be viable, but for various shaped and sized baskets it is not. We have never had any complaints and had a couple of positive comments about reusing and recycling.

7 Likes

All my jewellery goes out in its own gift box so you could say I buy new boxes all the time but I always buy boxes made from recycled paper /card and the padded inserts are made from recyclable materials. But the padded paper envelopes I use have clearly been used before.
If I am shopping for myself I would always rather buy something with less packaging, as little plastic as possible & any wrapping that is used I must be able to either reuse my self or put it in the recycling bin.
It gets my goat when I receive something not fragile or breakable wrapped up in tons of bubble wrap in a plastic bag.

3 Likes

Good point and one I’ve often mused over. For most of us it’s not a problem but for some it might be because psychologically, battered or reused packaging might equate to poor quality goods. But I doubt this applies to Folksy buyers. It’s more likely to be people buying really high end designer products. I categorically state on here and my website that I reuse packaging. So long as people know I’m not sure it’ll ever be a real problem.

5 Likes

Yes, I can totally see that and I think you’re on the right foot with your products and what would look like more ‘rustic’ packaging (hoping you don’t take that as an insult, which is not intended!). A beautiful handmade basket in an apple box sounds downright dreamy! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

No offense taken - I use the term regularly around my baskets - especially if they turn out slightly more rustic than perfect :joy:

5 Likes

Personally if I’m gifting what I’ve purchased I’d rather gift wrap it myself.

3 Likes

Same here. I sometimes open beautifully wrapped things I’ve bought to gift and obviously want to see what i have bought. There is no way I can wrap it back as it was, i am not a ‘paper’ person at all.

3 Likes

As a customer I don’t mind recycled, and if the packing is still of use I will reuse it again if possible.

4 Likes

I have no problem with item I buy being package in reusable/upcycle materials, I also try to do the same when packing my items to send out, I make my own boxes from second /third hand boxes that come to me, just cut them down if too big.
What I do object to is sellers (not Folksy) who try to make huge profit from the P&P charges, as when I wanted to buy some tick removers for our greyhound, only £2.50 but £4.50 P&P, they would have rattled around in a matchbox, so didn’y buy them off that selley, got them on the’Bay’ for £2.50 free P&P

4 Likes

I note on my listings that I use recycled packaging where possible so everyone knows up front. I also say if it is for a gift or if you want new packaging, I am happy to use it. When I send out work I always include a note thanking the buyer for buying from me AND for accepting recycled packaging. I think these days people like to think they are supporting recycling…

5 Likes