Packaging and wrapping

Appeal about wrapping and packaging

This is the amount of packaging that arrived for a relatively small paper product from a folksy seller.
The product itself is quite nice, however, I will not be buying anything again from this business due to the amount of plastic packaging that arrived with it.

Could I appeal to you Lovely people that if at all possible the eco-paper tape is used, in the place of plastic sellotape. It’s easier to recycle and very strong.

I know it’s a little thing with the state of the world.

But if we all did it, there are thousands and thousands of sellers here and it might help a bit.

Just as a side-note, the bubble wrap will be reused as I attend craft fairs and I always keep it in pass it on to the ceramicists, but they too prefer to use better alternatives.
Thanks Diane

4 Likes

Sorry I think this post is very harsh and to post on the forum is not fair on the seller.

Not everyone can afford to buy expensive environmental packaging and have to used what they have to hand, which if you look at it another way it is better to upcycle than buying new environmental packaging. I have tape etc that I have no intention of throwing away and will not buy any more until used and no it is plastic but that was all that was sold at the time.

26 Likes

I have to say I agree with @Caroleecrafts - this really isn’t fair :sob:

13 Likes

I agree with Caroline as well. Maybe the sender has previously had an item damaged in the post and was taking extra care.
I have to use whatever materials I have available , although I DO try where possible to recycle and re-use…but even then, there are people who get cross if you use packaging from that large delivery company “A”…
You cannot win and I think it is a bit unfair to publish your feelings publicly on here , which would upset the seller.

16 Likes

I agree Caroline and have to say I quickly made a note of the poster’s name so if they order from me I will be forced to cancel the order. As I send all my glass out in microwave boxes and sorry but they are plastic. .
I also use plastic bubble… I receive a lot round the glass I buy and chips too … some recyclable and some not. Some crunched up paper, some tatty boxes from the post office. In fact anything I have to hand to keep my precious glass safe on its journey. And safe it is. I use what I have. Should I throw away what arrives in the post to me ?
My daughter is a ceramicist and she does the same.

13 Likes

At no point have I identified the seller. What makes you think I did?

It is understandable that particularly fragile items need more packaging. However, personally I think it’s worth drawing attention to it so that there is an alternative people maybe be made aware of it.

I didn’t know about the existence of the paper tape, I do I use it.

1 Like

Brenda, I did not identify the seller.

I hesitate to mention it but your own latest review would indicate maybe you do need to use better packaging.
I think your post is unkind and if the seller reads it they will be very upset.

7 Likes

@Silverhares …I know you didn’t identify the seller but if he/she sees it on here they would be extremely upset…I know it would reduce me to tears…
I once sent a packet in recycled packaging to a customer and it got torn open and the item damaged. The same customer ordered something else, so I used parcel tape to make sure it arrived safely…I got reprimanded by the customer for using the tape…you really can’t win.
What I feel you should have done was just contact your seller privately and kindly expressed your views…and possibly start a thread on here about packaging WITHOUT the photos which would make the seller realise that you were pointing the finger at THEM…
Just a thought to be kinder…xx

10 Likes

I did not say you identified the seller but she could come on here, read your review and be devastated. It was very hurtful. If someone wrote that about me would as Joy never sell them anything.

I also do not like to be preached at and if told to do something more likely to do the opposite.

We as sellers are supposed to stick together and support each other, not go behind someone’s back and complain about how they wrap and pack orders.

10 Likes

Can’t win sometimes, when I used to sell photo mounts, I had a customer complain that I was using grey plastic mailer on the outside of the packing, so next day I sent out without the grey mailer, had a customer email me to say that Royal Mail had dropped their package in a puddle and the mounts were water damaged, went back to the grey mailers :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

exactly Stephen @linthamdesigns …xx

5 Likes

Just received an order from a Folksy seller and she used bubble wrap, so what my beads are beautiful got undamaged and thrilled with them. Plus I will reuse the bubble wrap for another sale. Plus I use bubble wrap as for delicate things is the best protection to use unseated of that horrible crinkled cross cut paper that cuts your fingers. So many paper cuts from a parcel last week.

6 Likes

At no point have I identified the seller, it’s a general discussion, and I would hope it even assist the seller, because They have produced a nice product, but may have prevented some further future sales.

Again I did not say you did, would you like to tell me where I stated you did. The seller if comes on here would recognise you as the buyer and her own packaging. As Brenda said would have me in tears if I saw post being critical how I had sent an order out.

7 Likes

Why post photos of the seller’s packaging? It’s unkind :cry:

As Brenda says, much more positive to start a general thread about your packaging recommendations and privately message the seller with your views if you feel that strongly.

8 Likes

Another small point which needs making for those of us who post slightly bigger things and far more fragile things.
When I post in cardboard boxes (depends of course on what i am posting out) or when I am posting something which won’t fit into one of my reusable microwave boxes (which my customers love :)… I use tape. I use tape because it keeps everything snug and it also gives a Bounce factor. I am Never afraid if i drop a parcel which is taped on the post office floor as i know it will bounce.

With me so far… I need to use tape and sometimes if the box is awkward i need quite a lot of said tape.

I buy 6 * 48mm x 66m brown very bouncy tape from Amazon. It is currently £8.61 just over £1 a roll.
I just checked for an equivalent Eco paper tape… ooops. £12.99 for 3 (not 6) rolls of same 48mm width and i only get 50m not 66 per roll.
That means it costs at least 4 times as much… I cannot afford it. Fine if you are posting tiny little things but not when you need to use several metres of tape at a time.

We all I am sure do the very best we can to be as eco friendly as possible but also bearing in mind we are all posting out different things and different things need differently packaging in order to arrive safely at their destination.

8 Likes

I often use heaps of bubble wrap but have never bought (or would ever buy!) any at all. I save it all from deliveries and I hope that my customers will also use it again.

I had a review recently that pointed out that I’d used a ‘plastic envelope’. I was a bit upset because I do try to be as eco-friendly as I can, however on this occasion I didn’t have anything else to use. But they are entitled to have their say and it just shows that this is very important to people.

3 Likes

I also think this comment is a bit harsh, I sell fragile items and buy eco tape/card boxes, but I sell most of my items wrapped in bubble wrap, shredded paper, polystyrene “s” things but I have never bought any of this, it is all re-used, I recycle everything I can in my home, my work and wherever I can. I hate waste. I have a stamp for my packages that apologises for the ugly packaging. You have said in your post that you will re-use the bubble wrap, how do you know the seller you bought from hasn’t done the same?

9 Likes

she may have used plastic packaging that had already been used , so not actually bought it. Reusing is better than sending it straight to landfill.

13 Likes