Folksy Ltd

First Craft Fair - do I need insurance?

(Andrea Martin) #1


I am doing my first Craft Fair on Sunday 25th October, in a Leisure Centre, in Kendal, Cumbria. I hadn’t really thought about it until now, but do I need to have some sort of insurance?

Thanks for your help

(Helen Healey) #2

Many craft fairs require you to have public liability insurance, although not all. Personally, I think it’s better to have something in place for your own peace of mind. I have cover through CMTIA (Combined Market Traders Insurance Association - you can find them via Google). My last annual premium was £48 and gives up to £5,000,000 public and product liability cover. Very reasonable I thought. Hope this helps.

(Liz Clark) #3

Hi Andrea, I would check with the organisers as to whether their insurance covers sellers. It probably just covers them and their risk, so you may find getting your own insurance the best way forward. Especially if you want to do more fairs!

I use Ian Wallace as they are specialist craft insurers, and their insurance covers me for selling at fairs (which I don’t do at present, but used to) and also my goods themselves.

Make sure you read the T&Cs to ensure your products are covered and you meet the criteria regarding sales (e.g. CMTIA only cover you if your online sales are less that 20% of turnover). Also if you want to sell to the US you’ll need to check that too.

(Susannah Ayre) #4

All of the craft fairs I’ve sold at have their own insurance which covers sellers so I’ve never bothered- so worth checking. I only do a tiny amount of fairs a year anyway (last year I only did 1) so paying out yet more insurance would just put me off altogether. Definitely worth checking with the organisers though- though they usually say when you apply if you need insurance. Sometimes your table cost covers the insurance too.

(Nobias Art) #5

Hi Andrea,

A lots of fairs not require insurance. I have been doing last year around 6-7, until this summer where I attended on 2 where I needed to have insurance. Bought it for a year from GM Imber for £50 a year, getting 5million cover at fairs, also cover some wholesale sales, and if you are selling online. To be honest the places I need to have them, they didn’t check it at all, is your own risk and have to make a decision if you attend on enough fairs to be worth to buy one :slight_smile:

(Andrea Martin) #6

Thanks Everyone!

I will contact the organisers and ask them.

It is a bit worrying, as it is another expense, before I have even sold anything!!


(Karen Nelson) #7

Hi Andrea
I only bought it once at the cost of £45 from the same company Pocketful Creations bought it from. To be honest it depends how many you are going to do and where. Many stately homes need you to have it but most others places don’t. Obviously common sense prevails, no trailing wires, things that can be tripped over, etc. Hope this helps.