Friend requests on Facebook

I have a Facebook page and a personal Facebook profile and while I am happy to be “friends” with people I haven’t met but who I chat to regularly on forums such as this one, who I have come to consider as my virtual friends, I keep getting friend requests on my personal profile from people who have liked my page but who I don’t know and have no interaction with. I feel a bit rude not responding to them but my personal profile is just that - personal - I very rarely post anything there to do with my work. I am very happy for people to like my page and equally happy to interact with them there if they so wish but do not necessarily want to be their “friends”. Does anyone else have this dilemma and what do they do? I don’t want to seem rude by dismissing their request but really don’t see what they (or I) will gain by accepting it.

1 Like

Yes , I have the same thing.
I rarely use my personal page ,and don’t want to share it with people I don’t know.
I don’t accept random friend requests. I don’t see the point.

Am i being dumb…How do they know to find your personal page when they liked your FB craft page?

1 Like

Its not possible to post on groups on Facebook when you are posting as your page so if you post in groups you have to do so from your personal profile. I guess people then go to my personal profile to find my page but also seem to think it would be a good idea to “friend” me as well as like my page.

1 Like

Ah okay now i get it lol. I wouldn’t want people who have just liked my page on my profile either, again id welcome virtual friends though.
This explains what my friend who has gone full time has done then. She has a craft page, a facebook profile for her buisness AND a private facebook profile now. Far too much work for me, but a way to keep everybody happy it seems lol

1 Like

I must admit that also happens to me so unless I’ve got some insight into the person via here and groups I’m in I don’t accept their requests.

I do have a a few folksy people on my personal friends facebook page and they are all very lovely so I don’t have the worry about the type/tone of the post they’ll post and will pop up on my feed.

So don’t feel bad, if you get to know them a bit better via your groups etc and find you might like to have them as friends on your personal page you can invite them to join you at a later date.

I am the same…I only have 11 ‘Friends’ on my personal page and they are family and people I feel I know. I get lots of requests from random people in groups and I’m afraid I ignore them. I keep in touch with my family and have pictures of my grandchildren on there, which I am not going to share with people I don’t know…

Yes I’ve been in this tricky situation a few times.

I do try to keep my personal page for friends and family so I am reluctant to add everyone who requests to be a friend.

Thanks all - you’ve all made me feel much better about ignoring such requests :smile:

BTW Paul @PaulsJewels according to Facebook T&C’s we are not meant to have more than one personal profile although we can have as many pages as we like. Apparently you are not meant to run a business on a personal profile although I am sure there are many that do :smile:

1 Like

I just couldnt be bothered to check 2 and a page. I do know people with about 9 or 10 the reason being…dreaded FB games LOL

You can post into groups from your Facebook business page. But only from a desktop screen. I log in and go to my Curious Seagull page and click on ‘home’ from there and it takes me to the page that shows all the pages curious seagull follows- groups etc and I can comment + like from there without having to use my personal account.

I very rarely get friend requests from people I don’t know. I work in a school so have my Facebook security settings set as highly as possible- so hardly ever get random people wanting to add me as a friend. With the odd one that I do- if I don’t know them I would never accept them. I would only ever push decline. And even if I know them- some people I don’t want to see my personal Facebook page so I don’t accept them either.

Susannah @curiousseagull - I can only post to pages not groups when I am logged in as my page even on a desktop - maybe I have got something set up wrong. If I go to a group e.g.: Folksy shop group, I can’t request to join when I’m logged in as my page so therefore can’t post.

I am the same @OrchardFelts . I belong to a few groups and had to join using my personal page. Couldn’t join when logged in as my KB Creations page, and can’t post as my page either…

I have a personal page and a business page. Sometimes I like another business page from my personal so they get a number increase on their page likes. I very rarely get requests from people I don’t know or only know via the ‘virtual world’ and those I generally ignore.

I would love to know how to join a group as my business page. I know FB keep changing the rules, but I could only join a group as my personal id (which I never use) with the result that I never update anything on groups

I have 2 separate accounts,the one set up with my business email account had my page linked to it. I’ve not got any friends on that account, my teaching friends sent friend requests but I pointed out it was a public account and they changed their minds.

Sadly teacher private lives are prey to pupils so our proper fb accounts have to be set at high security. I need to use my work one more and sell myself better on it. I will happily accept friend requests on it as it is work only and I’ll only ever post work related status things on there.

I get the same and also ignore, I also seem to get a lot of ‘military’ men from America and young men from Nigeria asking to be my friend… I think not!

You can only join groups as your self, but once you are a member but you can ‘share’ from your FB business page into the group, I think it’s done that way to stop business’ spamming groups as only a ‘person’ can share.

2 Likes

Oh lucky you Maxine @paperchainsandbeads - quite like a man in uniform!

2 Likes

Hi there - did you know you can create a bespoke list for such people - i.e. people whom you want to be friends with but those whom you don’t want them to see all your stuff? You can set your settings then so that all the people on this list only ever see your posts which you mark public. Your ‘real’ friends will get to see any posts you make that are set as Friends only. It doesn’t take long to set up and I have done this for crafting acquaintances and also people from school (i.e. 30 plus years ago) whom you are interested in connecting with but maybe a bit more cautious sharing all of your life with. It’s an option that might suit some people and saves the need for two profiles.

1 Like

thanks for that info - worth looking into

1 Like