How many products per page of one persons shop

When I looked up say for example decorative tiles I noticed that one person has 20 different photos of their products on the first page why on earth doesnt folksy let others have a first page listing not 20 of the same persons shop thats just not fair.

When you search on Folksy I believe the results show with the most recently listed first. This means that if someone has just relisted all their products (which you can do once a day with the Folksy plus plan) then their products will show first but will soon disappear as others list or relist after them. For this reason its probably not a good idea to relist your whole shop in one go as you won’t stay top of the list for long but some just prefer to do it this way.

Is that really what happens though? I have found that when I search for a particular category the first picture (and the next few rows) is always the same no matter if I have just relisted items in the same category. I’m not complaining. I believe Folksy make sure it’s not just one shop that has lots of items taking up the whole page so that buyers are offered variety but I do sometimes wonder if I’m not doing what I should to get items higher up the page.

1 Like

as @OrchardFelts says, it’s to do with re-listing. I also don’t like seeing pages and pages of the same types of products, so I try my best to relist bit by bit if I can.

It is all to do with tags and your description. So if you are a customer and you search for say ‘brown floral bag’ then if someone has that as the first words in their title, description and tags you will see that item first as opposed to someone who has put their first words as floral bag and then brown in the tags. Least that’s how I have always understood it. That is why people get upset when people add tags that don’t apply to their products.

I’m not sure that is the case. For example I have an item called say Floral bag as the first word in the title whereas the item that appears first when I search for floral bag does not contain any of those words in the title and in the tags it just has floral and bag as separate tags. It does intrigue me!

The other question I have is that when I go to the main Folksy page and choose departments and then choose cards then choose refine, there is an option to choose quilled cards which is what I make. It says 30 items and when I click on it there are 30 quilled cards, none of mine and none of the lady who has been selling quilled cards on here for a long time and doing very well. I don’t understand why that is. Definitely nothing to do with titles or tags.

If you browse a category, the results are listed by recency. If you make a specific search, the results are listed by relevancy.

You can find out more about what makes an item relevant here - https://blog.folksy.com/2017/02/23/how-search-works

@CraftstoKeep If you browse a category and click on one of the subcategories, these match up to the category and subcategory you chose when you listed your item. An item can only be in one category and subcategory, and it looks like your cards are usually listed with the occasion as a subcategory (for example birthday, anniversary or wedding) so you don’t have any cards listed in the quilled cards category. This is why if you have multiple similar items, it can be a good idea to list some in different (relevant) categories.

1 Like

Thanks for explaining that. I will have to read up on categories.

I do relist items every day and immediately do a search for quilled cards and mine have never been at the top of the page even though there are only a few sellers who list quilled cards. Doesn’t bother me as I don’t think anyone would ever be searching for quilled cards in particular but I do find it intriguing why the same card is always first when I do that search.

I am loving all the things I am learning since joining Folksy. It shows you’re never too old!

Hi I mentioned to you the other day that your link on your shop front to your Facebook page doesn’t work.
It still doesn’t.
Can I really politely suggest that if someone visits your shop and finds that broken link it doesn’t give a very professional feel.
It really is very important on Folksy to make sure you promote your shop as that is the most important thing to bring in viewers and sales .

I note that you have posted before and don’t seem very happy about your Folksy experience so wonder if you will accept a little help to make your Folksy life and seller life better. ?
You have no dimensions on your listings. Honestly it is really important to fully describe what you are selling when you are selling online and the customer has no chance to see the pieces in the flesh, to pick them up and examine them. See the sizes, see how they hang.
Also I see that on one of your mirrors the tags are strung together as a phrase instead of as 3 single words. Nobody is going to search for the phrase " wood mirror ceramic" You need to enter as separate tags.

Hope this helps. If you want any further help then honestly this is the friendliest most helpful of forums and everyone is always more than happy to assist you in making sales.

Joy xxxx

1 Like

In the case you describe that is because that is how those cards are categorised… not their title or tags
eg image

This card of yours https://folksy.com/items/7627140-SALE-20-OFF-Quilled-butterfly-birthday-card-personalised
has image

I’m pretty sure that different search criteria apply according to what you are looking at, how you search or arrive at the section you are looking at.
PS Just seen that Kim has also answered… oh well will leave this here as may be useful for others :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Joy. I didn’t think about categories. Do you have any explanation why my listings would never appear at the top of the page of a search such as quilled cards even the second after I have just relisted several of them. The same card always appears at the top when I search so it can’t be to do with resisting as you can only relist once a day.

Julie I don’t really pay much attention to what comes up in searches as I drive people to my shop via social media and good tags so I am easily found by Google. I don’t know how many customers find my glass via the Folksy search bar but suspect it is a small proportion of my sales.
Checking immediately after a relist probably doesn’t give the indexes enough time to generate themselves.

There is a lot of advice on here as to how to push people to Folksy via your social media and what not to do on FB to help that.
I checked your latest post and you have " The 20% sale continues in my Folksy shop.

https://folksy.com/…/7627048-SALE-Anniversary-card…

Now that goes against the suggestions. The idea is to persuade FB that it is not a commercial post and you have the words Shop and Sale …as well as the direct link in your main post (always add that later as the first comment).
Have a search on the forum for facebook post suggestions. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Having said that my Facebook business page is being a swine at the moment and last night I couldn’t even get to it via my laptop… must dash… got to see if it is there again or if I need to shout at Facebook !!!
xxxx

UPDATE… Oh bunnies my page is still playing up and I need it… I need to schedule posts while I am having my hip done … SOB

1 Like

Thanks so much for your help Joy. I will go and read up on that. Hope all goes well with your hip so you can get back to crafting.

2 Likes

@CraftstoKeep If I search “quilled card” then the first item in search has the words “quilled” and “card” near the front of the title, and also has the words “quilled”, “quilling” and “card” mentioned multiple times in the description, as well as once in the tags.

The first card of yours I can see in the search results only has “quilled” and “card” at the end of the title, and quilled is only mentioned once in the description, as well as once in the tags.

For search results, recency will only give you a bump in front of another item if all other things about the listings are equal.

If you would like your items to show high in a search for “quilled card”, then I would suggest using the words “quilled card” next to each other in the title, and fairly near the beginning of the title. I would use this exact phrase in the description, and also repeat the words a few more times in the description. I would also use the phrase “quilled card” as a tag, and not just the words separately.

2 Likes

Oh this is even more intriguing because when I type quilled card the item that shows first has not even got those words in the title - it says 80th birthday card paper quilling!!! So do we all see different things when we search or does it change depending on your device? It’s a mystery!

As I say I’m not bothered about this at all and I do feel I have rather hijacked this thread as I wasn’t the original poster so I think I’d better stop posting but I find the whole thing intriguing.

Thank you for replying and the tip about not separating words.

1 Like

That’s the one I’m seeing now too, when I wrote the post it was the 2nd item in the first spot. The 2nd item was listed today so there’s a chance its recency gave it a quick bump, and then it fell back behind the other after a little time, but there’s always a bit of mystery behind the ordering. You think you’ve got it worked out and then see something which completely confuses things again!

1 Like

Kim That’s why i left it to you to explain… it has me totally discombobulated. ah ha… always wanted to use that word :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

3 Likes