How to start?

Hello Folks :slight_smile:
I have recently started my arts and craft business… opened the website… I was so excited when it was finally, after months of preparations happened, and… nothing. I make beeswax candles, beautiful, natural, but honestly, have no idea how to make them visible. Tried fb fun page, instagram… it all goes sooo slow…
Perhaps this question is silly, but how you do that? How you are advertising and making things you do visible, when you don’t have big money to invest in that?

1 Like

Are you selling on Folksy?

No, only today got in here :slight_smile:

Today is a good day to set up a Folksy shop as you will get 20 free listings…as long as the items are handmade by you, and you live in the UK of course…

I do make them myself and I do live in UK.

In that case get that shop opened and then promote it wherever you can on social media.

1 Like

Yes, the advertising will be a lot easier once you have somewhere to point to where people can easily buy from.
List some items on here, then share them on your facebook page and instagram. I don’t like to overwhelm people with posts or it can seem a bit spammy and they might stop following you, but I think 1 a day on instagram and once every few days on facebook is fine (I usually do less than that, but try not to do more).

It’s meant to be better if you can get people interacting (answering questions or just chatting on your posts), but I still haven’t worked out how to make that happen. It probably helps if you’re a very sociable person.

Folksy is excellent value for money…pay for the plus account if you can, as it gives you certain benefits. Then list your items,…and then come on the forums, show your work and chat…
There is also a fb folksy page and folksy clubhouse page too…all of it helps with promotion and costs very little. I am a pensioner and I can afford it…

Thank you very much. I have actually online shop website. But need to do more on social media… thanks

If you don’t intend to open a Folksy shop, it’s little a bit cheeky coming here to ask for advice! Anyway, good luck.

I know what you mean. I didn’t intend to be cheeky. To be honest, found this forum and started to read posts, then made my own - and all that without realizing that Folksy is also selling portal. But I think I will explore it more and will open account when I did find out a bit more about it. Thanks

The best thing about selling here is that you will feel you are not alone! We all share in each other’s ups and downs, there will always be someone around to give you help or advice. There’s always different things to try from here, like the Folksy Clubhouse or Folksy seller’s page on Facebook. The forums are great and it all helps to get your work seen.
I agree with Joy, get that shop open! Don’t worry about it being perfect straight from the start, just give it ago. If you like it here, that’s great, and if not, closing your shop is even easier than setting it up! I’m looking forward to seeing your work. xxx