Very odd potential customer?

I have had a few odd requests from two potential customers. I just get the feeling that both customers are the same person and it may well be some sort of scam.

From customer 1: “Thanks for mailing back,I’m a honest and straight forward person and always want to be treated the same way, are you sure of the item condition?this is only what can make me to be worried cos i can not come over to view it,i am an oceanographer and i am buying this item as a gift for my sister which she won’t know nothing about it until it get delivered to her,i am at sea right now,and I can only pay through PayPal and you can put the PayPal charges on me because as at present,i don’t have access to my bank account online,but i have it attached to my PayPal account,So please kindly get back to me immediately so i can proceed with the payment and after the payment has been done,i have a pick up agent that will come around to pick the item up immediately after payment”.

hope to read from you soon.

From customer 2: "I’m Helen by name I came across your item on here,i will like to buy the item,is it ready for

immediate purchase, before i proceed with the payment i will Like to ask about the item…

1. Is this item still available for sale?

2. What is the present condition of the item?

3. Do you accept PAYPAL as your mode of payment?

4. what is the final asking price?

Kindly get back to me with your reply to my private email :

( helenmaloney151@yahoo.com )

hope to read from you soon".

Both customers have requested that I give them my PayPal information and in both cases I have told them to go through Folksy to buy my work. One is called Helen and the other Claire. Seems odd that they both do not speak particularly good English.

After I told both of them that I would only deal via Folksy I received no more correspondence from either of them.

Any opinions ???

Alison :slight_smile:

This Is definitely a scam and has been going around Folksy for years. Report it to admin @folksycontent

It’s a very common scam - just ignore them and pass on the account details to support, so they can cancel them. They always target your most expensive item and always use the same questions/phrases. Don’t ever give them your details, in fact it’s best not to respond at all.

Yes it’s a big fat scam!

I had one today and one last week. It has been doing the rounds for a couple of years now. They get booted off and then register again with a new username.

They tend to choose the most expensive item in your shop too.

Shirley x

Hi GlassMad,

I had this today too but mine was called Sarah.

Sarah wanted to know the condition of the item and I sent her more photographs then in another email she started to ask similar questions all over again.

Shame as I was getting all excited.

Ahh, the oceanographer, haven’t heard of them being around for a while - they used to pop up all the time on the old forum!

1 Like

Hi, I have replied to the most recent one and asked that her agent meet me under the clock in Glasgow Central next week (specific time etc).

I have asked for a cash transaction and I will be recognised by the fact that I will be wearing a BatMan outfit.

Awaiting a response

:slight_smile:

7 Likes

Just want to say I’m not surprised our oceanographer friend wants your gorgeous painted glass trees. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: If you were on Facebook I would share it :
https://folksy.com/items/6544177-Hand-Painted-Fused-Glass-Golden-Yellow-Tree-Painting

hi it sounds a bit like they think it is e bay and yes it does seem odd maybe they are trying to get the item without paying. strange