Instagram shopping tags

Just noticed people on Instagram talking about the new shopping tags that will allow people to buy from Instagram listings. Can we use these for our Folksy shops? If so does anybody know how to set them up?

I saw them as well, but I am not skilled in that area, but hopefully someone will know and share! Suzzie xx

Iā€™ve googled it and I think I understand how it works but I donā€™t understand how your enable it on your account. I have a Facebook business page linked to my Folksy shop and an Instagram business account linked to my Facebook page. My Instagram app is up to date but there is still no option of adding selling tags. Does anyone know how you enable this?

I saw this too Martine, I must take a look later, I have a feeling you may be able to get to it through ā€˜edit profileā€™. Iā€™ll let you know when/if I found out more. :slight_smile:

From what I can figure out you need to have either a Shopify or BigCommerce account, both of which cost in terms of monthly subscriptions - its not set up to link to other ecommerce platforms like Folksy and/or Etsy I dont think.

1 Like

I read something in the press about this a month or so ago. It was supposed to be a really big deal as far as celebrity endorsements are concerned. If you hover over an item on the Instagram pic, a link comes up and you can go straight to the shop for that item. Something for the big boys really, and just another way for popular bloggers (Kim Kardashian) to monetise their blog. The official page for Instagram states that they are currently rolling it out to approved retailers in the US and it will not be available for everybody.

Sam x

I think it is now available for everyone but I think Roz is right - Iā€™ve looked further and I think you have to have a Spotify etc account.

Iā€™m using it on Instagram. It uses the listings on your facebook shop which you have to have set up. And your instagram account has to be business. All my listings in my fb shop go to my Folksy shop.
It does mean adding all your items to your Facebook shop which is a bit time consuming but slowly getting there. I think itā€™s a great new feature!!

Iā€™ve noticed this too. It looks fab.

I donā€™t have an Instagram business account so I will have to do abit of research into it.

Was it easy to set up your Facebook shop Julie ? @DewDropCrafts Im using the app on my iPad and I canā€™t see how to set it up on my page.
May have to look in the morning from browser.

Itā€™s easy to switch to business on IG just an on/off in settings.
Iā€™ve never got on very well with the shop on my android itā€™s better on laptop, not all the features work. I canā€™t remember exactly how I started Iā€™ve had the fb shop ages but Iā€™ll help if I can if you get stuck. Message me on fb is probably easiest!!

1 Like

OK - I have discovered this is available to everyone.
First you have to set up a facebook shop (not Shopify but the one that you can get for free on your page, please dont ask me how I did it - something to do with ā€œedit pageā€!) and link your products through to folksy (or wherever you want people to go). Then make sure your instagram account is set to business and then wait ā€¦ a few days (I waited about 3 or 4) until you get a message from instagram to tell you you can now tag products. Play around a lot and eventually you will find out how to do it!

Sorry I cant be more helpful but Iā€™m not quite sure how I got to the end result - I just clicked on everything until I found what I wanted!

3 Likes

@OrchardFelts I have now linked my Instagram, facebook, Etsy shop and Folksy shop, thanks for the tips on how to do it. I am getting to grips with it now and starting to load and link my Folksy shop items. Hopefully Instagram will put more traffic to my Folksy shop as I have most engagement on there. Thanks again for the adviceā˜ŗ

Glad you got it sorted :). Its a bit of a faff having to list everything on FB as well but I guess its all good exposure.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been trying for days to get shoppable tags on Instagram and itā€™s slowly driving me crackers!
I have some products in my fb shop linked to my Folksy but can I tag them on Instagram? Oh no!
I messed around with my Instagram so much I was blocked from linking my fb to it for 2 days!!
I have now gracefully given up :joy:

Is having a FB shop the only way to do it? I stopped using FB a while ago but would really like to be able to do the Instagram shopping tags as I really like using IGā€¦ reeeeeeaaaally donā€™t want to have to do FB all over again!

Thanks, I will have to give it a try. Iā€™m a bit like that, just keep clicking and hope!!

1 Like