Is Stripe worth adding?

Just wondered if orders increase considerably if stripe is added ? Thank you for any replies/advice

I’ve had the odd one. Wouldn’t say it increased any sales

I’m not sure if it has increased sales but the commission is lower than paypal and they automatically deposit the money in my account (albeit after a bit of a delay) so I don’t have to remember.

The last few sales we’ve had have all been paid for via Stripe so that seems to be the customers preferred method of payment. Whether or not they would have used paypal or not if that was the only payment option …who knows.

Dave and Dos

1 Like

If you turn the question around and ask “Is it worth not adding Stripe” the answer becomes (to me, anyway) a clear “no”. I don’t see a reason not to add it: it costs nothing to add and it gives buyers another choice for payment.

5 Likes

I had one but nothing since .

A lot of my orders are now paid by stripe

since I signed up with Stripe last year , quite a few payments have been made via , so I am glad I bothered with the initial set up !

I’ve had sales through Stripe but mainly paypal. :slight_smile:

While it might not necessarily increase sales figures, I do think it’s better to be able to offer as many different payment methods as possible.

1 Like

I didn’t sign up for Stripe last year, as some people were having difficulties with the set-up process, and whether or not you had to send photos and so forth. I also found loads of discussions online - complaints about recharges, and about sales money not being passed on, and accounts being closed.

I was too busy to deal with that kind of hassle, so I left it. Over many hundreds of sales across several sites I’ve only had one person say they didn’t want to use Paypal, so that aspect didn’t seem important.

I’m interested to hear the experiences of those who did sign up, both the good and bad aspects, so I can decide whether to look into it again.

I signed up. It wasn’t hard (and I’m pretty useless with that kind of thing). I got paid via it and I didn’t have to do a thing! So, yes, I think it’s a good thing.

I’ve had quite a lot of sales through Stripe. Once you are signed up you don’t have to do anything the payment is paid into your bank account.

Me and my big mouth - I’ve just had the SECOND customer in seven years who didn’t have Paypal! I emailed her saying she could use as a guest, but she got her daughter to pay with her Paypal account instead.

Another successful order, still not much incentive to use Stripe. Is it just me?

I think you are looking at it the wrong way round - its not whether Stripe gives any benefit to you (although the fees are lower so there is a benefit over paypal) but whether it gives your potential customers a benefit. In this case it would have been easier for your customer if you had enabled stripe as she wouldn’t have had to contact you or faff about borrowing her daughter’s paypal account. Not all customers would be that dedicated and would have given up at the first hurdle not even bothering to contact you - you don’t know how many of those there have been over the years.

2 Likes

I had quite a lot of problems setting up Stripe after doing the initial Beta test. I was chosen for one of the random identity checks and I didn’t want to send my details so I deleted that account and set up another one (where I didn’t have to send a photocopy of my driving licence)
Anyway…I eventually got everything linked up correctly and I’m glad that I did as I would say probably 40 percent of my sales go through Stripe now.
I don’t mind waiting the few days for the payment to go into my bank account and like Sasha says, it’s good to give the customer more choice. I used to direct quite a few customers to the guest paypal option but since Stripe, no one has asked for an alternative payment method.
I quite like it :slight_smile:

Thanks Sasha, that’s why I’m following this post so intently.
There is so much across the internet about how Stripe suddenly do a “review” and withhold your money for weeks, that I am quite wary about signing up. Benefit to my customers is one thing, but giving them the goods without receiving payment is quite another!

I never did understand why a card processor would need photo-id. Why not the details of your business bank account, who have already done all the anti money laundering checks? (Which I’m pretty sure DVLA doesn’t do. . . )

I’m glad it’s working ok for you now. Is that an increase in sales do you think, or just the same sales through a different processor? If there were a load of posts on here saying “Stripe is amazing and my sales have doubled” then it would be clear what the customers want.

1 Like

I’m not sure if you’ve seen this thread but it looks like Paypal is withholding money now

I’ll admit to putting a black mark against paypal since they refused point blank to allow me to pay for some cards - even after I’d jumped through their hoops verifying my account/ credit card/ ID they still bounced the payment and wouldn’t directly admit why. There were multiple phone calls and emails to various departments trying to resolve it and it takes a very dedicated customer to go through that palaver so I’m all for giving other options. I think that if paypal suspects something they get the customer to prove that they are legit whilst stripe does it the other way round.

I have just spoken to Paypal and my problem isn’t about them holding funds.
They have confirmed that my customer has paid but it just doesn’t show when I log in…I’ve tried 3 different browsers on 2 different computers. They suspect a web issue where for some reason the website hasn’t updated and they are looking in to it.

1 Like