Is theme of the day working?

@JopalianStudio Personally I haven’t noticed a big increase in sales, like Sasha I can always tell when it’s a theme relevant to my items because my impressions go up a lot, views go up a little, but sales generally stay the same (I’ve only had one sale that I think came from it). I imagine there might be a few more sales on cheaper items where people impulse buy, but for more expensive items it might not get immediate sales, but hopefully gets you noticed and maybe in someone’s mind for the future.

Because of that I don’t spend too much time over theme of the day, don’t make new items especially to be included and just give it a quick look over and make sure any obviously relevant items have the right tags. From Folksy’s point of view it’s not just about the sales though, theme of the day provides a good way to get a fresh look on the home page that changes every day and is in keeping with the time of year and any special events, as well as giving every seller a chance to be on the home page. It’s a great way to make sure that first impression of the site doesn’t get too samey and boring.

6 Likes

I was pleasantly surprised to see one of my items in Theme Of The Day when I looked just now! I didn’t intend to join in with this one - it appears to have included me from my colour tags (the theme today is Yellow Orange) :grinning: I’m not complaining! :wink:

2 Likes

Not had an increase in sales but the number of ‘impressions’ and views goes up whenever an item fits the theme, and an increase in interest of any item always has the chance of a sale.

1 Like

Please, please don’t start limiting who can tag how many of what!

As soon as there are limits, some people will try to work around them, like with relisting items to be seen as “new”.

The whole idea behind this theme was that it caused absolute minimum of work for anybody - it’s runs from the tags that should ALREADY be against your items. If the items you sell are fragrances and the tag today is “fragrance” then hooray for you. NOBODY should be adding the tag “fragrance” to their non-fragrant items just to get picked up.

If it should happen that only a few sellers are relevant on any particular day, aren’t they lucky; tomorrow they may have no relevant items at all. That’s how it works, as fairly as possible for everybody, no fuss, no extra work.

Are you really suggesting that somebody should go through all the items in their shop that fit the tag and un-tag them for a day leaving just four, then go back the next day and re-tag them?!!!

@folksycontent already do a wonderful job of creating a very varied list of tags every month, a list to which we can all make suggestions. The theme works well, please don’t fix what isn’t broken.

2 Likes

@rosesworkshop Some of the themes end up having words that, certainly I, wouldn’t normally use to describe an item even though it is applicable so there can be occasions where tags do need to be added. eg this month we have ‘solder’/ soldered, I make all my settings etc myself so an item can have a dozen solder joints in it but I wouldn’t instinctively tag the item ‘solder’ or soldered as I don’t consider that a selling point for jewellery (or anything else really). But I agree nobody should be adding non relevant tags to items just to get seen.

4 Likes

@SashaGarrett yes I agree, I often add a tag if it fits with an item and I hadn’t thought of it previously. Isn’t that why the monthly list is released to make sure we can utilise the tags as appropriate. I don’t think any of us jewellers would normally use ‘solder’ as a tag but I’ll definitely be adding it to some of mine for that day! :grinning:

2 Likes

I agree that you do often need to add appropriate tags from the list. They often aren’t ones you would instinctively add as they often aren’t things customers would search for and therefore you need to add them. Another recent example was ‘shiny things’ - a customer is very unlikely to be searching for this, therefore it’s not likely you’d already have it added as a tag, but it does work as a theme of the day.

1 Like

When I had a Plus Account and could relist my items and get them near the front, I still didn’t see much change in views. Now that I don’t have the Plus Account, unless the category is very small, I don’t really worry about it as my items will be so far back in the listings. I wonder how many of the views are fellow sellers checking the relevance of other peoples’ tags… :laughing:

I often struggle to find tags that fit my work in totd, but those that do sometimes have to be added. Ocean was a recent tag, I use sea glass, shells and ither beach find but ‘ocean’ wasn’t a tag I’d thought of so I added it. Still end up on anout page 4 and I do have a plus account.