Just tried to buy @admin

Yes, I think there have definitely been gremlins at work on Paypal. I have had a couple of customers who have had problems paying too…they got sorted in the end but it is a concern that some people will just give up and buy elsewhere, and we will never know…

Lisa I had exacttly this a couple of weeks ago. ( @Folksyadmin Duplicated order )
In my case it looked as if husband and wife had tried to do the order at the same time, I assume because one tried and failed initially.
Exactly the same though.
The tricky bit was refunding the full payment for the second as Paypal wanted to give me part of it as my fee refund. I had to give them all one payment and refund the rest from the other.

The fee bit for a refund is right. The order I refunded was for £5. As I only received £4.75 of that order, that’s how much gets taken from my account for the refund. PayPal then adds to that a refund of the fee they took when the order was placed, 25p in my case. Customer got £5 back. So although it looks wrong, it processes through correctly.
The thing annoying me is the second order won’t cancel on folksy system, will email support when I get chance over the weekend

I’ve just had a look at my Paypal account and a few of mine are showing up as ebay instead of the customer’s name too. They’re unregistered ones but it’s not happening to all of them. My latest customer was unregistered and their name is showing. It’s bizarre!

@folksycontent I have had 2 more orders from guest buyers last night, and both say ‘Ebay’ in Paypal.
I have heard nothing from Folksy support since I contacted them last week, and sent them the information they asked for, but will email them again to tell them it’s still happening.
Kim

I have had 2 people unable to complete purchases today stating that Paypal refused their credit cards.
I have had quite a few of these in the last few months, some pay by other means - other times the sales are lost.
I don’t know quite where the problem lies - but it is not good for customer relations or business. Having to negotiate bank transfers or cheques from disgruntled customers or telling them they need to get a paypal account isn’t always easy.
I wish we had an alternative credit card payment option here.

Have you also spoken to paypal they have a good customer service phone line. It might be a problem their end.

I’ve also had quite a few customers contact me recently with payment problems - always ones where they’re trying to pay by card and it won’t go through.

One of my customers that couldn’t pay via Folksy has had no problem paying using their card when I sent a direct Paypal invoice. So it seems like it is a problem here.

I noticed a couple of times yesterday, items from my shop saying being bought now on the front page, but never were. Hope it was just that they had changed their mind and not payment problems.

This is worrying. I much preferred it when I was notified about a sale before it was paid for in case there was a problem I could sort out. Now, who knows how many sales we may be missing because of payment problems?

1 Like

I’ve just added a Shop Announcement :slight_smile:
In case of problems when paying with Paypal please contact me and I will help. xxx

Don’t really want to as it pushes my glass down the page but needs must and all that.
I’ve bought a couple of times recently and do not like the new process one little bit.
Was addng a note to the seller but I was taken away to the first pass of the Paypal process before it let me finish it. And my first paypal screen showed the item price only without the postage and it was only when I went through the 2nd phase I found what postage I’d paid.
Don;t like it !!! I want to pay by a one screen process which tells me everything at once.

1 Like

It seems the ‘upgrade’ to Paypal that happened a couple of months ago may have caused more problems than it solved…
…and I agree with @coatimundi , I preferred it when we got the first notification of a sale, before payment…at least we knew someone was trying to buy and if we didn’t get payment we could contact them and offer to help.

I just checked my views to date this month against same time last year (when to date for the month I was selling at 3 * the rate)
Analytics shows very similar views to last year so either people no longer like what they find having got to my shop or they are having trouble buying it. ???

My stats are the same Joy, I was selling far more at this time last year. The past three months have been particularly bad for sales. Last week was the first time in three years that I went more than two weeks without a sale.

When I looked at the front page yesterday, it had a notice on one of my mice saying ‘buying now’ but I didn’t get a sale. Is that because the customer changed their mind or because there were problems with the sale?

I had that yesterday too. Always makes you wonder doesn’t it.

That must be really annoying. I’ve bought a couple of items from other Folksy sellers recently without a problem. Maybe someone just put it in their basket to try things out, I hope not though. Can you contact the buyer by any means to see if they still want the item.

Marg

The only way you can know nowadays who put something into their basket is if they complete the sale in which case you’ll get your 2 emails or if they contact you to say they have ordered / are tryng to but having a problem.

In my case last week a customer, who I had channeled via Folksy having ‘sourced’ her on my own website, did have a problem (she didn’t do the final confirmation) but didn’t know she had as, as far as she was concerned she had ordered 3 suncatchers from me.

So no, there is no way to contact whoever it was who put it into their basket as nobody knows who it is until they pay.

Sometimes people put things in baskets as a way of just browsing for the ‘right’ product. They might not actually want to buy something just because they put it into their basket. Messaging people just because they put an item of yours in their basket would be like messaging someone just because they favourited something … super spammy and potentially very off-putting.

2 Likes