Must use stuff before buying more

Just been sitting in spare room surrounded by a sea of beads haha. Made 5 bracelets which is great but the reality of just how much stuff i have squirreled away has just hit home finally. As i post this i know my brain is secretly thinking well if i just buy A then i could B and C with some of the beads i have upstairs.
Currently ignoring the fact that it all needs putting away with a kit kat and cuppa :smile:

5 Likes

I know what you mean. I have drawers I daren’t even look in!! :grinning:

2 Likes

I know the feeling. I have made it my New Year’s Resolution to use up ‘some’ of my crafty stash before buying anything new. :wink:

1 Like

I keep telling myself the same thing - I have beads galore and paper too!

1 Like

I’m currently putting away the contents of the random dish of beads and when I’m done I get tea and cake…
I am of the opinion that if you see something that you are highly unlikely to ever see again you should buy it (so long as it is a good price) this is why I have a stash containing beautifully banded pieces of malachite, lace agates, flower jade, hand made beads from murano and indonesian trade beads to name but a few. If you will still be able to buy it in 6 months when you have used up some of the stash and you don’t absolutely need it now then hold off (and sign up for newsletters so that you know when they have a sale on).

3 Likes

Before I started my shop I invested in loads of beautiful top quality fabric for my crafts, as I was convinced I’d sell 10 cushions a week (if only!!) Also, last year I started making my own clothes again, and now have a suitcase full of dressmaking fabric. I can’t justify buying any more fabric now until I’ve used up some of my stash, so I’m going to have to be strong to resist temptation, but looking on the bright side, I’m going to be saving a lot of cash for the foreseeable future!! :grinning:

I’m waiting for it to be warm enough so I can sit outside with my colour sorted pots of small bits of glass, put the tiny scrap bits into the scrap pots then sort out the colour sorted middle size pots to put the small pieces into the small bits pots then sort out the colour sorted big pots, put the middle size pieces into the middle size pots and then… put all the big pieces of glass which are not properly colour filed into the correct big pots where they currently won’t fit.

Hope you understood that as I might ask you to explain it to me when the weather gets warm enough to action it !

And when I’ve eventually done that I will do something about selling, by the 3/4kg, all the tiny bits of glass, colour or not colour sorted, as there must be lots of people out there who do mosaic who could use it and I cannot bring myself to throw glass away. Not even the scraps.

4 Likes

Oh dear there’s no stopping me I have sash trying to escape out the doors and windows yet I’m still buying vintage linens and vintage crochet dollies on ebay.

Well I have use for them and if I don’t buy them when I can still find them at prices I can afford well you know what I mean :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have this conversation with myself regularly. Don’t buy anymore beads until I have used a good few I have but I never listen to myself
I recently brought a massive load of beads and I have just bid on a load on that site.

I have so many beads but they are so pretty. Plus sometimes I need a colour in haven’t got. Do you see my problem. :wink:

BEEEEEAAAADDDDSSSSSS!!!

4 Likes

Good point about using the scraps. Sometimes i get a bead i wont use due to small chip or color is a little too naturally different to others, they get used to decorate papercraft stuff here and there.
As for not alwayways having the right colour…that the problem, so many diff sizes, shades, shapes out there that there is literally always something to buy lol

2 Likes

This sounds so familiar…the reason I opened my Folksy shop was to re coup some of the money I’d spent on fabric, yarn thread etc…but I have more than ever now. Only this weekend I bought 3 more storage boxes for fabric!! In addition I now have a stash of ribbon, cord, beads, bag findings etc.that I didn’t even have before!!
It’s a losing battle…

1 Like

When I have a chipped bead or not enough left to make a bracelet ect. I usually put them in my handbag charm bead boxes.
They are 5 boxes that are filled with beads on head pins ready to be made into a handbag charm.
That way I feel like I’m not wasting anything. doesn’t always work that way

1 Like

I have scrap boxes of leftover bits of fabric that I then use in crazy patchwork

Same with leftover bits of yarn into a scrap box they go to use up for whatever I can think of.

Maybe we should start Crafters Anonymous (a bit like Alcoholics Anonymous).
My name is Jane (or Beadseedz if you prefer) and I’m a bead addict :grin:

8 Likes

I think that’s a fantastic idea.

Im surrounded by craft things. Ive rethought my craft ideas so Im going to try to get rid of a lot of things si one day maybe I may be able to see my floor(and possibly hoover it)

2 Likes

I’m a real fabric addict and I’m having to be really strict with myself at the moment as I’m determined not to buy any more until I’ve used up some of my stash. It’s really tough though. I keep wanting to go and visit a local shop that has really nice fabric but then remember I’m not supposed to. I’m suffering withdrawal symptoms now! :cold_sweat:

1 Like

I love Folksy Forum it always makes me smile!

I’m addicted to buying wool and embroidery fabric and threads. Haven’t sold much yet on Folksy as I’m quite new to it but sold a couple of bookmarks last week, and then went straight out to buy more stash!! Think I better get sewing!!

1 Like

Oh dear I’m exactly the same but with me it’s paint, brushes, stamps, embossing powder, glitter, pens, ribbon, more paint, glue, gilding wax, shiny things, stencils, magazines (that I never read properly) oh and more paint!!! I love special effect paint and am terrible for opening pots going mad on it for several projects then going on to something else and finding it’s dried up next time I get the urge!!! My new years resolution was to use what I have and stop buying!!! So far I’ve been pretty good but it’s making me miserable!!! I love getting parcels of new stuff!! :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

Ah yes, I feel your pain! I have so much stock, built up over years of stashing away. I still keep ‘acquiring’ stones under the proviso that they are for a ‘commission’ but in reality, only half of them are and the others are just because I love them. I have had to stop buying until I sell some pieces now. I am trying not to buy any more stones until September - a really difficult job for me - but will try and wait until I go the the International Jewellery Show in London. I keep telling myself that it will be worth the wait! (who am I kidding??)

1 Like