New seller - Any advice welcome!

Hello everyone ! I’m Ed, nice to meet you all :slight_smile:

I am so excited to be part of this community. Finally set up my shop, now all I have to do is list products. I am taking it slow, as setting up the shop has taken me two days and I have been all consumed trying to perfect everything. I think I’ve set up my shop 100% now, I just need to get more products up.

If anyone has any feedback or advice about what I’ve done so far, I’d be very grateful!

PS : it’s unbelievable how warm and lovely people are on folksy. I really cannot express enough how excited I am to be a part of the community. Xx

9 Likes

Welcome to Folksy.

Your candles look fantastic, lovely the swirly trees.

On Folksy you need to promote yourself on social media. I post in the daily challenge each day, not always a new creation though. Taking part in the challenge is fun, you post your link with an image. Then click on the link of others, go to their item in their shop, heart and return to post, repeat. In return everyone posting will do the same for you.

I also post to Instagram, linked to my Facebook business page. Copy to my personal page then share in various groups I am in, including Folksy shop group and Folksy networking on FB.

Any questions as you go along just ask.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome :blush:
Your shop looks wonderful already, very professional and I’m looking forward to seeing more of your products.
Good luck with your shop, I’ve a feeling you’ll do just fine.

2 Likes

Good luck. Your items look beautiful with great photos. As @Caroleecrafts says, promotion is especially key on Folksy, but its a lovely platform to sell from.

2 Likes

Wow! - looking really good and so profesional. As many others have said optimizing social media is really important to your shops success. You’ll find Folksy a lovely friendly and helpful place, so have fun and good luck.

1 Like

Hi all,

Thank you so very much for all of your help and support, your very kind and lovely comments mean the world to me! Thank you all so much for being so welcoming, I look forward to interacting with you all more & you all have such fabulous shops too :slight_smile:

Best,
Ed

1 Like

Everything looks fab, great product shots! Welcome to Folksy, can’t wait to see what else you list!

1 Like

Welcome Ed. Yes this is a very friendly platform.
So far it looks fabulous and I wish you well.
My best advice is be patient, your work is beautiful and I’m sure you will do well but it can take awhile to get noticed and online sales have been slow for many of us this last year so don’t take it personally if you aren’t immediately sold out, it’s not just you.
Good luck.
Marion

1 Like

Your shop looks good so far, great photos on your items and I found your about section really interesting to read.

A few ideas…
On your pumpkin candles I see you have different colour options. I think for that one it’s quite obvious, but depending on your colours, it might not always be, so it might help to add a photo that shows each candle colour next to the name of the colour that will be in the options.

I also notice you don’t have “pumpkin” as a tag (although it’s included in some longer tags). Pumpkin is a theme of the day later this month so it’d be good to include.
If you haven’t seen about theme of the day yet, there’s a section on the home page called “theme of the day”, which shows a random 8 items based on the day’s theme, and every time you refresh the page, a different selection will show up (there’s also a button to see all items on the theme).
Items get included by having a tag that exactly matches that day’s tag. You’ll find a list of the upcoming themes on your dashboard (Folksy - Sign in on Folksy), and you’ll see on each day there’s the name of the theme and the tag. The tag is the one you pay attention to, if any of your items are relevant to a particular tag, you can add that to your item so it’ll have a chance of showing on the front page on that day. You have to put the tag exactly as it shows in that list, for example if it says “pumpkin” and your tag says “pumpkins”, the item won’t be picked up for the section, and just make sure you only use it on things that fit the theme.

As a few people have mentioned promotion, I can see you’ve got an Instagram page and already included your Folksy shop link which is great. Another thing you can do is use more hashtags on Instagram, there are some Folksy specific ones which can help Folksy users find your posts.
Generic ones like #folksy, #folksyseller #newonfolksy.
You can use #folksythemeoftheday if you’re posting something that fits with that day’s theme.
One for sellers in your area - #folksylocalwales (there’s also a page you can follow - Folksy Local Wales (@folksywales) • Instagram photos and videos)
#folksyfriday is often used for promoting Folksy in general (a lot of people use it for collage boards as described here: Promoting Folksy)

Good luck with your new shop!

3 Likes

Thank you so much Marion, that is very helpful advice and I really do appreciate that, very kind of you. Wishing you all the success too! :slight_smile:

Best,
Ed

Hi Kim,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments about the shop and about section, I am really glad you found it interesting.

Noted on the colours, I’ll be sure to keep that in mind for future products to make sure that there is no confusion, that’s great advice.

Thanks for the info on the tags and the daily features too, I’ll be sure to add ‘pumpkin’ as a tag and I’ll keep an eye out for daily features that my products might be relevant for - again, I really appreciate your advice on that.

I’ll be sure to keep an list of these tags for Instagram, that’s great. I’ve just followed Folksy Wales on there as well so will keep up to date with them!

Thank you so much again for all of your advice and support!

PS - your art is lovely! :slight_smile:

Good luck with your lovely shop I hope it goes well for you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your page looks lovely and love the pictures. Good luck! :blush:

1 Like

Thank you Jean and Stephanie :blush:

1 Like

Welcome, great photo’s, lovely products, good luck with your shop :slight_smile:

1 Like

@eliandthings Aww thanks :blush:
As you might have guessed from my art, the only thing I thought was missing from your about section was a photo of the cat!

1 Like

Hahah I will sure to find a way to fit her in somewhere :slight_smile:

Thank you :pray: