Non-UK sellers on Folksy

I’ve recently noticed a rise in the number of non-UK sellers on here and, despite reporting them to admin, they continue to sell here. It seems that anyone can create an account on here as long as they can provide a valid UK address, whether or not it’s a genuine one. I’ve just spotted another one listing artwork on the front page, although clearly operating from overseas.

There obviously needs to be a more robust account validation process in place to prevent non-UK sellers being able to open accounts - this would prevent a lot of the spammers opening false accounts too.

Customers buy from Folksy shops believing them to be UK/British designers/makers/artists. If non-UK sellers continue to be allowed to sell on here, Folksy will have to drop its ‘Modern British Craft’ tagline.

8 Likes

I also report any shops I see that are based outside of the UK. I always hope notice will be taken of the reports.

Oh heck, I didn’t know about this.

I spend part of my time in France, i’m here now printing my woodblock prints in my chilly but sun-filled studio.

I’ll be posting work from here too.

Matt @MattUnderwood - I think if you’re British, are primarily based in the UK and run your business from here, that would classify you as a UK designer/maker, whether or not you spend some time overseas. Some of the sellers I’ve seen are not British, not permanently residing here and not operating their business from here, so can’t be classed as UK sellers by any stretching of the rules! Unless you include knowing someone who lives here, spending a few months living over here or picking a random address from the phone book :smile:

This is the Folksy FAQ statement: “Folksy currently only supports sellers who are living and working in the UK. We had strong feedback that this is what our buyers and sellers wanted. We’re pleased to support UK crafters and showcase the best of British handmade goods.”

I’d suggest contacting admin if you’re not sure about it.

3 Likes

I spend most of my time with my head in the clouds, however, I am an English man.

9 Likes