Numbering or code for your product descriptions

I have a question for the seasoned sellers out there.
When, (or in my case if!) you sell an item on Folksy, is it obvious which item has sold?
i.e. Is the image matched up with the description?
If not, and you sell a lot of similar products, do you add a code or no to your descriptions?
I’ve just started to do this, but don’t want it to imply that I have huge nos of a particular item.
Thanks, Petra

When you make a sale a box appears on the ‘orders’ tab of the dashboard and within that box there will be the main photo of the listing and other details, I find that enough to match up what I’ve sold with my stock. I don’t add product numbers to my items but I have seen people add them to the bottom of the listing - I guess that really helps if you have multiple shops across multiple platforms and you need to keep track of what is listed where using a spreadsheet.

Thanks a lot, that makes it really clear.

I like your shop very much Petra. I am just considering adding SKU codes (stock keeping units) as I think as Sasha has already said, with larger quantities or wholesale this makes life much simpler. I don’t think a buyer will think your items are less than special, especially if you add the code to the bottom of the description. :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot. I don’t operate on such high nos at the moment, tho I do take things out to sell somewhere else, then return them to the shop if they havn’t sold. As long as I know that the image is married up with the description I should be ok! (I’m sure its obvious once you start selling.)
A code at the bottom of the description, rather than in the title, which you both suggest , will be more discreet.
ta.:relaxed:

1 Like

I do use product codes for my items - I find it really helps me to keep tabs on things, match them up with the spreadsheet and locate them in the storage drawers. I don’t make large numbers of identical items but sometimes have 2or 3 that are similar so it helps me to identify them unambiguously. I put the code at the end of the title, where I can see it easily - can’t see any point in hiding it away at the end of a listing. I don’t think it puts people off at all. I’m surprised that more sellers don’t do the same.

Thanks for your advice. It does seem a straight forward way to keep in control of it all;
especially for taking things out of my shop for other events.
Having the same code on the price tag makes sure that the right pieces are returned to my Folksy shop afterwards.

Yes - I used to sell through a shop outlet as well and found it enormously helpful for that, as I used to rotate the shop stock quite frequently and needed to keep track of everything!

My filing system works entirely from photos. The photos all have meaningful names, sequentially numbered within the same design
eg. I just made a new heart, the 5th of that design (1-4 now sold)
This is the name on that photo. Entwined Heart 005 Red #1607 FREE 20.00.jpg
The photo is shown in my Folksy listing.
I post 5 photos on Folksy but only retain one photo in my “For Sale” file. One photo for everything I have for sale.

When the heart sells I will get an order notification to say that “Entwined Heart Suncatcher Stained Glass Red Ruby Wedding” has been ordered and paid for.
Pretty obvious from the description which it is and if I have two similar pieces I can always check my photos to see which is which against the one showing as sold in my Folksy Sold page / my Orders.

Don’t think I’ve ever accidentally sent anyone something they hadn’t ordered so the system must work,for me,

For the record once I get the order notification I rename it to show how and when it was sold eg. Entwined Heart 005 Red #1607 @FOLKSY @160731 20.00.jpg
I then move the photo to my SOLD file so I know it is no longer available.

Hope this helps. It is my system but I’ve had the photo filing system from the start (I’m ex-IT so it’s pretty automatic for me) and I always know what’s for sale, what’s just been sold and needs posting (and also replacing) and what I’ve sold over time,

Thanks. Another method to consider. I like the way you retain one image only! Going off on a tangent, I have created large amounts of photos whilst joining Folksy. I’ve always kept records of my work but never the upside downside inside out as now. Plus all the extra ones I take just to be sure, which then turn out to be ok but unnecessary. I need to get a big photo cull on1

1 Like