Opinion on a giveaway

Hi all your opinions please.

I want to run a giveaway on facebook ( and will do them regularly b4 Xmas ) - should I giveaway a specific item OR a ’ £10 off your order’ kind of offer?

I have 2 objectives - more facebook likes/followers AND ( obviously) I want more orders/feedback/views for my shop.

I’m thinking that offering a £10 off deal fits better with my shop objectives given that the winner will be creating an order ( against which I do a paypal refund) , I had LOADS of sales(300 plus) /feedback for my older shop ‘AudreysCat’ but my WittyDawn shop has way fewer so it has lost that ‘established shop’ feel.

Thanks in advance for your input

So basically you’ll give away £10 plus you’re be paying paypal fees and folksy fees. So that would be more than £10’s.

Are giveaways a good tool for bringing in people to your facebook page? I know someone wrote a wonderful blog on how giveaways can in fact have a negative affect ie loss of income. That they don’t increase real followers or bring in sales.

With giveaways you often only get those looking for a freebie who simply search the internet for all freebies and giveaways and will never return once they have what the want. The what can I get for free group. They are not your target market.

How about a special offer buy one get one half price or second item 10% off.

1 Like

yes I realise the fee issue but if it drives a few more people to my shop to look to see what they can ‘buy’ if they win rather than just looking at my facebook page then I can happily pay the extra for that - hopefully it may help my google ranking.

I have done giveaways like this before and yup you get quite a few freebie trawlers but looking back I think I’ve still managed a reasonable % of ‘real’ people.

I’ve tried the special offer route b4 and had a great 25% reduction on cushions a while back - facebooked/blogged/twitter - not one single sale… :frowning: and given in my time I have sold over 80 cushions online/offline I’m confident on my quality/style/full prices on them - it simply didn;t work for me,

Decided to just go for it ! £10 off in my shop details here if you fancy having a go :wink:

I hope it goes well - please come back and let us know how you did as the special offer vs giveaway debate is something I have thought a lot about and I’d be interested to see what works for others.

1 Like

lets just say my hopes are not unrealistically high :wink:

1 Like

All the best with it :smile:

I like the idea of the google ranking thingie if it works just to do that then it’s a win win situation :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got another 40 or so followers on facebook, quite a lot of shares on other peoples pages , a sale directly linking to my giveaway and increased views on Folksy so quite worthwhile I think. The winner hasn’t used up her £10 off yet.

I’m doing another one starting tomorrow ( a giveaway as it is also my birthday tomorrow) but this will require people to go to my shop and share a link. It will be interesting to see how many make that additional effort.

I make it very clear what my entry criteria are and post numerous reminders to give people every chance :slight_smile: but I do think quite a few just like and move on without reading entry criteria and thus lose out - hey ho…