Photo problem?

Hello – sorry, yes, we’ve been having some issues with images this morning.
I managed to get the service into a stable state and am now testing a rebuild of the image service.
If all goes well I can just let the new image service take the full weight going forwards.
I’ll get back to it – just a quick update for now.
Sorry about any issues anyone had with images!
Doug.

1 Like

It’s happening again…hardly any photo’s showing on the front page.

I cannot begin to put into words how irritated I am getting Every night when I sit here listing my makes for the day and waiting for that time, which inevitably comes, when I get locked out loading my photos. Photos which I have loaded without any difficulty, and all together, to my other site. When I have to shut down whatever else I have open in an attempt to free up whatever Folksy picture loader is locking and in desperation switch users … which occasionally gets me back to life a little sooner…
Please @dougfolksy please pretty please sort out these image problems

If my problem is that I have so many pictures stored on Folksy from all my listings from 2009… then I would be more than happy if you would like to delete the first 5 years worth. ???

PS Next listing… this is what it looks like when I go into edit to replace the old photos with the ones from the latest piece… before I did anything at all … Sat like that for 2 minutes… plenty of time for me to grab my snip tool and take a picture:

So boring as i sit here. loading one slow photo after another…life’s too short…

There we go… 6 old photos deleted. 6 new photos loaded… took 7 (that’s Seven) minutes…

PS these problems make me wonder if it’s my laptop causing the problem but then I remember that I just loaded exactly the same photos and all together, not one at one, to another site without a murmur And then, an hour later, 45 minutes ish after midnight I reworked 3 of my flower heart listings. Deleted the old photos and replaced with new and it did them all without a single hesitation…

Which leads me to conclude my laptop is entirely blameless. The problem lies within the Folksy imaging

Hi @JOYSofGLASS – I’m really sorry about that, it looks well frustrating. We’ve been spending some time recently on the image service backend and our attention is now turning to the frontend, particularly with regards to images in listing.
The listings page is one of the older parts of Folksy and obviously it really needs updating – really, it should just have a simple bulk-upload of all the images at once.
This is something we’re looking into and actively working on at the moment. It’s not a small job and it is tied in to a couple of other pieces of work we’re trying to get set up, too, so it’s hard to give a timeline at the moment. It is something we are working on as a priority, though.
In the meantime I really am sorry for the image uploads being frustrating. I’ll have a think if there’s anything that can be done in the meantime but I’m really keen for us not to lose focus on fixing the whole listing experience properly. It should really be worth it when it lands and the approach we’re taking should be a really good investment in future development, too.
On a final note, I’m actually off for a few days at the moment (although I’m around for any emergencies, as always!), so if you reply and I don’t get back to you it’s because I’m out and about and not because I’m being rude.
And thanks as always for letting us know about issues and for your good will and patience whilst we fix them, it really is appreciated.
Doug.

Thanks Doug, enjoy your break and remember my new motto (as I fall into the Vulnerable category) Better Safe than Sick :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
(PS; just been shopping and discovered that Uttoxeter has now caught up with the rest of the UK…everyone is now obviously suffering from diarrhea) :slight_smile:

Thank you. This explains why.
Kind regards Marjan

I have given up trying to list the same item over and over again so it is going into the dark side - I’m just not that patient, sorry!

Joy. My photos are showing up on Folksy ok, but when I download to the Folksy Forums, there is only a little square, so I have to upload my photo as well.
I’ll show you… Do you see. Just a square instead of the photo.

Thanks
SallyAnn xxx

Think that’s a fairly recent feature of the forum photo load not the photo problem :slight_smile:

Thanks Joy xxx

1 Like

@thegreetingscardshop Your photo is showing for me. I normally find when I first post a link like that the photo doesn’t show, but if I just post it anyway then it seems to fix itself after a little time.

1 minute per photo…(if I’m lucky)… life’s too short :frowning:

Make that 2 if it doesn’t lock me out as well …

I’m still here but my listing has still not now managed to save my change of qty from 1 to 2. It will become very difficult to maintain my shop if I have thrown my poor innocent but frustrated laptop through the French windows…
PS now showing 10 mins since I started the post and I was on the 3rd photo at that point… and it still won;t let me add to my stock but I have got photos… whoooopeeee

PPS Glory be now got a listing with all my photos… no gave up with the last one… and the correct quantity of 2… @dougfolksy Please please please will you sort this out. It is doing my head in

Hi @JOYSofGLASS – it is something I’m working on although it’s still difficult to give an ETA at this point. As soon as we’ve got something we can trial, I’ll get it out.
Could I just ask about the issue you’re mentioning about changing quantity? That should have nothing to do with images. I don’t want to get distracted by too many other things but it would be good to know that I’m definitely addressing the correct problem. Is the edit listing page hanging? Or refusing to update an item? Or is it something else?
Also, are you seeing image upload issues as a matter of course or intermittently? The latter would suggest that there’s a periodic load issue that needs addressing.
A final question (sorry!): would you be able to give me the link to one of the items you can remember having particular issues with? It might be instructive for me to replicate the listing in a test shop and observe how it all behaves.
Thanks, Joy – sorry for all the requests! :slight_smile:

Doug

This one… but I did relist it after the photo load / qty update to get it to the top…

The qty update came after the 10 minute time it took to get the 7 pictures loaded (after deleting the ones there before). It just sat there with an updating or whatever message going round. I realised I could still submit the updated listing to get the photos saved so I did and on the 3rd attempt persuaded it to let me have 2 not 1… thinking about it that might have been after the relist not before… sorry can’t be sure. I realise it is probably not image connected but it was all happening at the same time within the same listing update.

I only did this product last night. As usual it was latish…11 - 12 but my page and others have been filled with missing photos on and off all day. I nearly did you a screenshot of my dashboard as I was trying to find the listing to update … it was on the 3rd page and I had no photos showing against anything… they appeared just as I got my snip tool ready.
After midnight there are less image problems usually

Sorry to give you this hassle and sorry if I sounded a bit frustrated by it last night… I was going to copy/paste and send it you instead and delete it here but your replied first… Please feel free to delete my comment above… don’t want to sound grumpy :slight_smile:
Joy xxxx