Photography For Jewellery Makers (Or Anything Shiny!)

Just found this useful link on my FB feed and thought I would share it!

Love Sam x

6 Likes

If you find something on how to photograph opals let me know - I’m putting off photographing a commission as I know it will be soul destroying and require most of a day to get it right and a large bar of chocolate.
Sasha

2 Likes

Thank you Sam, very useful!

1 Like

I’d like to know that myself @SashaGarrett! If anyone on my FB feed mentions it I will be sure to share it here because it would be one of the best lighting tricks out there, for sure :smile:

Love Sam x

1 Like

What a fanastic article. Thank you for posting this :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this Samantha, very helpful xx

1 Like

I’ve had a bit of a play whilst a setting is in the pickle… The studs are welo opals with a yellowy ground set in gold so here they are on a cream set up like in the article without a diffuser

and the same cream back drop but with a diffuser

and on a black version of the set up in the article

I did vary the exposure whilst taking the photos with the black backdrop requiring a under exposure (and thank goodness for the tripod as it was a long one) but I haven’t tweeked the lighting any further in post production. I think each version has its merits and I would include them all if I was listing them online.
My setting should be done by now.
Sasha

2 Likes

I totally agree! Each one shows a different aspect of the opals’ personality, but they all show some lovely play of light within the stone :smile:

Love Sam x

Thanks for sharing great information about Jewelry Photography.
Its really helpful for me.