Postal Delays

Well the postal delays are setting in, received yesterday orders that were posted on the 31/3. Just had a customer ask if I had sent an item. Order received 2/4 posted 2/4 not yet received.

Makes me wonder should I shut up shop now as think going to get worse before it gets better and as a business how many of us can afford to refund for losses, then wait months for a refund.

Anyone else got a postal problem?

3 Likes

Hi Caroline @Carolee.crafts
Unfortunately I have not had a sale on Folksy yet so can’t comment on this in relation to Folksy but I have sold quite a bit on eBay and fb both crafty and non-crafty stuff and there has definitely been delays. I have tried to pre-empt payment so no refunds. I have added that there will be a delay in arrival times and as soon as someone either BINs or bids I message to say that item will be delayed. I have changed the despatched times too. I have had no refunds asked for just positive okays or people have cancelled bids/orders before payment. I honestly think it depends on where you are in the country. Items despatched on the same day have arrived very quickly in Manchester but still delayed in Midlands and London.

3 Likes

I have a delay too, I posted an order (from the other side) first class to Oxford on the 1st April and the recipient emailed me on the 7th April to say it still hasn’t arrived, it was only 4 working days then, but still no news of its arrival yet. She understands that they may be delays in her area, so we’re giving it until next Wednesday and then I said I’ll send another one as it’s for a gift for her friend. If she ends up with 2 packages, she’s promised to send one back. I would normally ask her to wait longer, but with all that’s going on, I don’t want people to get stressed more than they need to at the moment, as it’s a horrible time for everyone, plus I’m also working from home for my day job at the moment, so can sneakily get some knitting done in between :wink:

5 Likes

I’ve just been to our Post Office for the first time in weeks and they are now closing at 2pm each day. So my parcels have missed the last pick up of the day, so won’t go until Tuesday morning now, sadly that’s a delay of at least four days already. I have found everyone to be very understanding though.

2 Likes

I’ve been extremely busy , not on folksy but on another site and have had several cards being delivered late . most customers are understanding but there is the odd one that gets excited if card doesn’t arrive in the 1/2 business days! My postman says its like Christmas they are so busy!
It is worrying because my small post office is closed and that means I just need to use the post box. I have no proof of posting if the cards go astray. I have also 3 orders that were sent to canada and I am worried about them because that is 4 weeks now. I’ve a feeling I will need to refund.

1 Like

I send all my items via RM 1st class mail (I’m currently allowing 2-3 days delivery for this) So far (touches wood) no one has said that their order hasn’t arrived in 3 days, so I’m presuming that they have. I’ve heard that RM are prioritising 1st class mail, so if you’re currently posting 2nd class, I personally would swap to 1st class

2 Likes

NO. I have no problem. I take my parcels to the post office. My local post lady enters the post code, sticks the sticker on, I pay her. The parcel goes in the bag and is collected later that day and still is getting there next day or day after. I Always send 1st class and am not sending signed for as that is a compllcation everyone can do without.

eg. I posted a parcel to Gloucestershire and an identical one to Nottinghamshire on Monday, first class small package <1kg. ÂŁ3.70. Exdellent value for the service provided.
One daughter (Notts) received hers next day, the other daughter got hers the day after and also received today a parcel sent to my grands on Tuesday so both arrived in 2 days… Staffs to Glos… pretty brilliant.
I have no complaints and no reason whatsover to stop posting as long as our fantastic Royal Mail and Post Office services are willing to handle my parcels.

I accept it might take a day or so longer than normal but I think people are pretty understanding… in the circumstances.

2 Likes

Okay I have found out some more info, any of my post which goes through London has long delays. Anything else does not. Things I have sent towards the west have arrived next day.

Keeping my shop open but have put an announcement that delays are to be expected.

3 Likes

That’s makes sense for my delayed one then. I sent a care package to my mum (basically a card sending virtual hugs and lots of chocolate as it would have been mum and dad’s 55th wedding anniversary on Wednesday, but we lost Dad a week before Xmas, I still can’t talk about it) who lives in Bracknell on Tuesday and she received it yesterday, her post goes via Reading. Mum is a young 78, but can’t walk and is self isolating.

We’ll all get there, we just need patience. I’m going to stop rambling now as getting emotional!
xx

4 Likes

Sending you a big hug Natalie x

2 Likes

Thank you so much @Caroleecrafts hugs are much needed and appreciated xx

2 Likes

Just received a package that was posted in Sheffield 27th March! :laughing: Yet the Easter card I sent to Sheffield this week arrived the next day :roll_eyes: Sent out a sold item on Thursday with crossed fingers as I can’t get proof of posting at the moment…

We are having issues in West London (I know its Bank Holiday weekend) but as of today - Saturday 11 April there are 5 post offices that are within a 2 mile radius that are “closed for the foreseeable future” - 2 are main post offices with sorting offices and 3 are within shops. The one in Tesco was the last one to close - today. I spent a lot of Thursday and today driving around looking for a Post Office. The last time I was able to post items was on Thursday. I was like Joy @JOYSofGLASS where I went to the same lady daily, 15 mins walk away but she is one of the ones within a shop that have closed. I think it depends on where you are in the country.

I can breathe as the last order I posted on the 2nd finally arrived yesterday. Getting quite close to the wire now but not getting much info from the PO as to what is going on. MyHermes are still working but again a hard one as the flat rate is still dearer than RM and did say would never use again…

We need an option to have different postal options, so that customers can take a chance or pay for hopefully a guaranteed delivery.

2 Likes

I have just heard from my lovely (and extremely patient and understanding!) customer in Oxford, her tea cosy arrived today and she loves it! I posted it 2 weeks ago today!

All’s well that ends well, phew!

xx

1 Like

No problems so far re delays - though first class seems to be taking an extra day. My only problem was a package getting stuck at the top of a post box and not being collected for a week! All sorted now though. Hx

No problems for me, I’ve received items before the expected delivery date, and things I’ve posted out seem to have got there in a timely manner, my latest review mentions quick delivery :slight_smile:

I’m having varied results at the moment - some parcels taking over a week and some arriving next day! All posted in the same post box on the same day - all large letter. Luckily all of my customers are being very patient :slight_smile:

I am thinking of stopping sending overseas till this ;ockdown is over, Its bad enough having customers receiving their cards late in uk but usa and canada orders are missing since beginning of march, .

1 Like

Yesterday I received a beautiful pincushion from Debby @Bearlescent, which arrived in just 2 days, posted 2nd Class Signed for. I think we were both suprised. It must depend on the volume of mail and manning in each area.

3 Likes