Royal Mail additional price rise since June 1st 2020

From 1st June Royal Mail threw all their costings up in the air and started (almost) again! (This re-pricing is since the March hike). I’ve been trying to work out pricing as there are now effectively 5 zones in the world: UK, Europe, Zone 1, 2 & 3 (3 is the USA ONLY). However, on the Folksy postal regions USA is separate, but then zone 1 & 2 are listed as ‘Rest of the World’ which means I either have to list the pricing to cover zone 1 (and hope zone 2 people don’t buy cos I’ll be out of pocket, or list as zone 2 pricing and hope zone 1 don’t mind paying over the odds. I can understand that catering to the whim of the RM on Folksy is not the easiest ‘tweet’ to make (I used to work in software), so I’d like to know how everyone is coping with this, or is it something we need to address in Folksy’s software.

NB. the prices to zones 1 2 & 3 are so high now I doubt I’d ever be able to sell to these places now, anyway!

The price hike on July 1st came about because of changes USPS made to their charges for the last mile delivery (ie what RM has to pay them for delivery stuff) hence why USA is now a zone of its own. I made Folksy aware of the impending hike at the beginning of June and they were working on having the 3 zones as well as rejigging the Europe zone (it currently has the EU countries included in it but not the non EU European countries) so that they better reflected RM’s zoning but they couldn’t get all the work finished before the 1st July price increase (it is apparently a major rejig). Hopefully they will get this work finished asap (or at least before any christmas rush).
What you could do is set the postage for ‘rest of world’ as if it is zone 2 and then refund any overages should someone from zone 1 orders. Personally there are countries I won’t ship too (expensive jewellery and a postal service known for loosing stuff isn’t worth the hassle) so I just have Europe and USA set up and if anyone outside those regions want to buy they can contact me (and I have had people contact me asking if I will ship to their country)

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Sasha. I thought that someone might be on top of this already - and thanks for that. It is a lengthy process to rejig the software so I’ll be patient. Truth be told, I’ve only started now to address this myself as I’ve had ‘other duties’ since the lockdown and my shop has taken a back seat, I’m only now catching up on the piles of admin.

I’ve decided to only price for UK & Europe - if anyone outside UK & Europe are interested I’ve added an addendum to my policies section that they can contact me (as you have suggested). I agree with you - if anyone is interested they will ask.