Smells that make you go eugh

Roz I get the phantom smell thing too , it smells like burning and dust- I have been known to turn the house upside down looking for the start of an electrical fire- it keeps me awake if I smell it when I’m in bed - worrying there is a fire.

Roz, I’m sure it was cooking liver at school that turned me into a vegetarian, not just the cooking of it, but the handling of it, eugh, personally the smell of any meat makes me feel ill, and seeing dead carcasses

2 Likes

The phantom smells are interesting. Do you think they are a ghost? In our previous house I’d get the smell of roses wafting through our bedroom sometimes, even though there wasn’t a rose in sight. My nan used to have the scent of lavender wafting through her bedroom. We both put it down to ghosts, especially as our houses were built in Victorian times.

It’s quite interesting to read what people don’t like smell wise. I can’t stand the taste of coffee, but love the smell of it! I can’t really think of anything that turns my stomach smell wise, but when the mention of toilet blocks came up, then yes, that certainly is an unpleasant smell.

Elaine

1 Like

Deborah @DeborahJonesJewellery - I was investigated for various things and had a brain scan which came back normal. There was a thought it might be temporal lobe epilepsy but unlikely due to test results and the fact that it can last anything from a couple of seconds to several days. I decided not to be investigated further as apart from being very annoying it doesn’t really affect me and labelling me as an epileptic could have all sorts of implications! It was ages before I realised it wasn’t a real smell and like you I used to spend ages looking for the source but when my family thought I was going mad I realised the smell didn’t really exist!

1 Like

I honestly cannot stand the smell of fish anything fishy - urgh I absolutely hate it. Quite funny really as I am cornish born and bred and live by the sea. lol

do peas smell?

Subway sandwich shops and litter boxes. I could never own a cat! In other pet related smells I have to confess I love the smell of wood shavings and actually considered buying a rabbit just to have the smell of them around the house before I became a DT teacher. I now have a workshop full of wood shavings on a daily basis :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I dislike the smell of Subway too , and butcher’s shops.

Thanks for all the replies, funny how we’re all different in the olfactory department :smiley:

Ugh yes, especially when cooked in the microwave. Hate peas can’t bare the sight of them!!!

1 Like

for me its perfume…& that smell of clothes that have taken forever to dry

For me its Marmite, old wax jackets, wet dogs and rubbish tips. Love the smell of autumn leaves, food in general, cut grass, new born babies and freshly baked bread.

Sweaty people IS really ming!!
My thing is bananas.
Its a bit sad, but I am over it, so don’t panic!!
When I was pregnant with my second child, I would sit reading to my daughter (she was 2) and she would like to eat a banana.
Unfortunately I lost that baby at 16 weeks. (but was pregnant again (successfully) within 2 months)
Now I can not abide anyone eating a banana near me, its not just the smell but the sound of someone eating one near me.
Funny thing is tho, while I was pregnant with my first I used to eat banana mushed up on toast with marmite!! Yukky yuk yuk yuk!!!

1 Like

I’m with you on the wiffy peas smell. Yuck! It reminds me of a sweaty feet odour :mask:

I can’t stand the smell of petrol. I gag when filling up the car.

Erm… Oh yes… Blue Cheese. My husband loves the stuff, and I could quite easily divorce him when he wafts it under my nose. Yuckity yuck!

1 Like

Karen, you have just reminded me, talking about husbands… Mine has those honey and lemon flavour lemsips when he is under the weather. The smell makes me gag and I have to leave the room! I think he uses them on purpose!

Jacqueline x

2 Likes

The smell of vinegar! Eww!

1 Like

I can’t stand the smell of lemsips either, But I do love the smell of petrol strange I know.
One thing I really do hate the smell of is Fabreeze, I think is smells like washing that hasn’t dried properly with a hint if rotten fruit, I can’t even use the fabric softener or washing powder that has it in. :expressionless:

1 Like

I can’t stand fabreeze either Donna. Makes me feel so sick.

1 Like

It’s awful stuff, my oh laughs at me because I shout at the adverts
"If your house smells that bad CLEAN IT!!" Lol :grin:

5 Likes

That reminds me of something I did, on the back of an old way of cleaning stuff.
Never ever clean your steamer with vinegar, we couldn’t get rid of the smell for weeks!!

2 Likes

I hate Febreeze too- I’ve been sent things from ebay that have been Febreezed.

1 Like