Folksy Ltd

Strange names in listings, help please

(Grimm Exhibition) #1

I like soldering and have started to make 3D items (example below) but I realised these are not every day things.
They are described on the internet as a diorama or shadow box. I only know this from hours of looking at the internet and discovering such crafts.
Do you think using these words are everyday word? Im probably showing my lack of vocabulary asking that.
Im wondering what other names I could give them so they would be easier for potential customers to search for.

(Eileens Craft Studio) #2

I think Diorama is vey Americanize, and many UK people would think 3D art.

(Marg) #3

Diorama is the Victorian term for these splendid 3D art works when they were very popular. I’ve seen quite a few old ones made entirely from shells. I think it’s a great idea to bring them back into the 21st century. If you put Diorama and 3D into your titles if possible, then you would be covering all aspects.
I’ve just had a quick look on ebay for Victorian Diorama, there are some lovely ones.
Good luck with them. Marg. x

(Bizzy Liz) #4

Yes, I agree with @memicrafts, I also do 3D work (mainly box frames) but I always try to put 3D in title as that seems to make a difference.

(Eileens Craft Studio) #5

Yep I know it’s a Victorian art form just that we don’t tend to use the term here as much as they do in the USA.

The average person in the UK looking for art of this kind would type in 3D art. I’m not sure why Diorama fell out of every day language in the UK.

I think I’d agree to use both terms who know’s you might bring the word back in the UK :smile:

I’ve only ever heard it used in the UK when relating to antique pieces but seen the more modern piece advertised as 3D art. I think our terminology is changing.

(Silvapagan) #6

I think “3D” or “3-dimensional” would be picked up in more Google searches than “diorama” (though I love that word!).

I know it’s not what you asked, but I would suggest a little editing on your description as well. For example, use “Christmas” instead of “Xmas”, and watch for missing spaces and apostrophes. I’d be happy to help with the editing of this listing if you want a hand.

(Shirley Woosey) #7

Diorama is used quite a lot in the Miniatures and Dolls’ House world but I think probably more by the States than in the UK.
People who make very small miniature scenes use it quite a lot.

Shirley x

(Grimm Exhibition) #8

Thanks for your replies.
Im a Victorian gal so nice to read I tapped into something from that era without realising.
Il add 3D to my listings.
I read the name for a similar style of artwork but it only had images of hell/the devil, I can recall the name, wish Id written t down. If anybody knows the ame please let me know.

…(10 minutes later) I looked on the net, they are called Diableries.

(Flyingballoons) #9

Just sticking my oar in- I’ve always love the word diorama, let’s bring it back to the masses! :smiley:

(Grimm Exhibition) #10

Fine by me, I was thinking of making a diorama of Bananarama, and have it talked about my Simon Schama… sorry, I went a bit silly there.

(Linda Wild) #11

If I were looking for this type of thing I’d search for Diorama, it wouldn’t occur to me to search for 3D Art, but maybe that’s just me …

(Marg) #12

This topic has got me hooked. The word is also from French and Greek. So interesting what can be found on the internet. I think the minature ones for dolls houses must be very fiddly to make but what an achievement. Marg. x