Struggling to sell

We have revamped our store, and retook the photos.

https://folksy.com/shops/handmadebylizzie

Been trying to get sales, but our number of visitors has stagnated. Have recently tried advertising on Instagram but it has made very little difference.

Do you have any advice that you could give.

2 Likes

The first thing I noticed was that not all of your listings have tags on them. Folksy use these to link you with potential buyers and you need to get the tags to emulate what people pop in the search box. Not always an easy task, itā€™s always worth reviewing them regularly.
You havenā€™t completed your ā€œAbout Meā€ section. People often like to know they are buying from a real person, particularly on a hand made site.
I often do well on Instagram and have got a few sales from there. You have a good number of followers, so I would expect engagement on your posts to be a bit higher. Engage on your followersā€™ posts, the Instagram bots track this and in turn push your own posts higher up the pecking order, you will get more engagement and so it goes. Remember, todayā€™s follower is tomorrowā€™s buyer, so interact with them by liking and commenting on their own posts.
I always spend at least an hour on social media everyday (not necessarily in one hit). I donā€™t always want to do it, but it is a necessary evil!

11 Likes

Totally agree with Chris, use your social media as much as you can and drive the traffic to your shop x good luck x

2 Likes

Hello Chris, just want to say thank you very much for your advice, itā€™s really constructive and I shall be putting into practice all of what you said.

Thanks again

Handmade by Lizzie

1 Like

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

1 Like

I am puzzled by your www.handmadebylizzie.co.uk label on your shop banner and also on your Facebook page and then again by the fact your facebook page is Lizziessoapsandcandles. If it confuses me it will also confuse your customers. Who are you and what is your business name ā€¦

1 Like

HI, I just tried to click on your Instagram and Facebook links both of which say they arenā€™t available. I think your shop looks fab, and even though your shop title doesnā€™t actually say what you make, itā€™s pretty clear from the banner photos that you make cosmetics. Things are even very quiet for me lately but I havenā€™t been promoting as much , though Iā€™m still getting lots of likes etc so not sure what is going on. Get your links sorted out and Iā€™ll share you on Insta! :slight_smile:

We sorted out the links, someone suggested we should change our username to something similar to our name to our business name, so that was why the links were not working. Everything is sorted now,

Thanks for the compliments and the advice.

Handmade by Lizzie

:sweat_smile: I was already following you on instagram! Iā€™ve shared to my stories. Instagram has changed a lot lately, and reels seem to be the new thing even though I have tried a few (admittedly not very good ones) they went down like a lead balloon :joy: so Iā€™ve stuck with the photos. Tagging and joining in with story shares etc is another way to get more interest , though I have to admit I donā€™t do it enough - I find it all a bit draining !

2 Likes

Iā€™ve tried reels too. Apart from the fact they looked terrible and I ideally need a seven year old to give me instructions, they got very few views. The reels are only there because Instagram is trying to compete with Tik tok, or whatever theyā€™re called.
My photos do much better. My Instagram stats say that 80% of my followers are over 35, so not too bothered about reels, I suspect!

1 Like

Reels on instagram would be a great way for you to show off the texture of your body butters and lotions - just a short video of some being rubbed into the back of a hand to show if its thick and creamy or light and easily absorbed. This is the sort of thing Iā€™ve often wondered about when buying lotions online as Iā€™m quite picky, if you do put a reel on insta you can mention it in the listing then people will be able to see what its like. Not sure if this could work for showing the lather produced by a soap bar but iā€™ve found people will watch anything (my last one was badly lit and slightly out of focus with random back ground noise but over 3k people watched it (my following is 550 ish)). Oooh just had a thought - people would probably watch reels of bars of soap being cut off the loaf.
Just an observation but most of your instagram posts are about where people can find you at physical events rather than what your products are and where people can buy them online. If you do a reel like the soap cutting I suggested above you can put something like ā€˜these bars are now available in our Folksy shop (link in bio)ā€™ to encourage people to come and buy online and then make sure you use the #folksyshop and #folksyseller to get the post seen.

7 Likes

Thanks for all the advice, we have put some of it into practice.

Iā€™ve been pondering one thing, does having a small range of products make it harder to sell on folksy.

You have quite a few spelling mistakes in your about section.

Thanks for pointing that out, itā€™s been sorted.

1 Like

Scrolling down your shop I find a lot of your photos are very dark (Iā€™m using a tablet so may look different on a bigger screen) Iā€™ve just lightened this one up using lightroom (free version)

I was thinking the same thing, and did this on Photoshop. Iā€™m happy to brighten up your photos free if you want me to.

1 Like

Your shop is lovely! Really nice items. Only thing I would say is I (personally) would like to see lighter photos, some are a little on the dark side. Minor niggle though. Good luck with your sales. I have been on and off Folksy for years because of low sales but itā€™s such a gorgeous site I feel I do need a presence here (so Iā€™m here again :slight_smile:

Thank you for your comment. Photoā€™s are one thing I sometimes struggle with. Try to make them lighter in future. I agree Folksy is a great site to sell your products, also everyone is friendly. Your shop is lovely too. x