Suppliers? Blank Tote Bags (smooth good-quality cotton) for Block Printing

Hello!

I’ve got a linoleum block that I’m printing on canvas bags but really want to find a good-quality cotton bag with a smoother surface to print on. The canvas bags I’m using now are pretty rough and making it difficult to get a good quality print. But I’m at a loss! I don’t want to buy on Amazon as I can’t tell what the surface of the bag will be like before receiving them.

Are there certain kinds of wholesalers I should look for in my city (Seattle) that I can go check out what they have available? Or do I just have to look for bags I can order one-offs to check out before buying in bulk? Really curious how folks handle this!

Thank you,
Oralea

As this site is for UK designer /makers only I think it is unlikely anyone will be able to help you on this.
Regards
Kim

3 Likes

“Only”? Huh. I didn’t realize that when I signed up. I wasn’t looking for suggestions in Seattle anyways, just curious how folks go about sourcing their supplies.

I wasn’t looking for suggestions in Seattle anyway, let me just remind you what you said in your 2nd paragraph in your 1st comment.
'Are there certain kinds of wholesalers I should look for in my city (Seattle) ’

Try heading to your local craft markets and get chatting to the people selling the sort of bags you are after - they should be able to point you in the direction of local wholesellers and warn of any companies they have had a bad experience with.
If you do go down the route of ordering single bags to test the quality first then make sure you wash them before making your mind up - cheap fabric items can be given a surface treatment to make them feel better but it comes off in the first wash.