Tag advice wanted

Oh enjoy - I have just done 87 of my 169 listings and am beginning to feel a bit numb! All imagination has gone out of the window. Just want to get things tagged and then can adjust at leisure later. Think I might leave the other half for now though.

1 Like

I did oneā€¦got bored! Will do the restā€¦eventually! LOL!

4 Likes

Iā€™ve now a few as I have over 200 to do.

Iā€™ll do a few every day for the next week I think space it out a wee bit

Just asked a friend for help I got told bespoke.
Not helpful really

Seems that none of us have the answer! James @technogoggles can you or one of the team please advise how the search will use tags and whether short phrases or single words will be best?

1 Like

I think I need a bit more information about how theyā€™re going to work in search before I add them in to all my listings.

Are they going to combine with title and description keywords for overall relevancy?

1 Like

I just searched one of my listings which had single word tags and couldnā€™t find the item by searching. I have now added ā€˜phraseā€™ tags and my item is now the 2nd item when using search.

3 Likes

Yes Iā€™ve just found that by experimentation too Carol. It does mean that people searching need to look for your specific phrase, but one word tags are already getting lost.

1 Like

Remember that tags are currently just one of the search terms and so when you are searching for a specific ā€˜tagā€™ you are also searching item titles and descriptions (which is why theyā€™re getting lost).

Inputting phrases/multiple words as tags will work but buyers will need to be looking for that specific phrase in order to find the item!

If you do this, you will also be at a disadvantage when we get to implementing things like tag clouds, or tag links from somewhere on the item pages, so we would strongly encourage you to use individual words rather than phrases.

If you are doing this because 5 tags is not enough, we can look into that but we do need to put a limit on the number.

3 Likes

If I put a tag word ā€œflowersā€ would it still pick up ā€œflowerā€ for example please?

Must admit. I have had a bit of a search using the words I have used to see if they come up.
Trying using the word then searching.
Hope that helps

Edit I have just searched flower bracelet and flowers comes up too

1 Like

more tags would be great please Sian. itā€™s the whittling down to five that aches my brain :wink:
Alison

3 Likes

google search prefers phrases or two word tags So if are aiming at getting potential customers via a google search then one word tags are usless infact google puts them to the botton of their searches.

Hi Sian. Can you confirm if 2 word tags or 1 word tags are best for Folksy please?
I also sell on 2 other sites and both of these sites changed from 1 word tags, to 2/3 word tags a few years ago. I have always thought that 2/3 word tags were best, so Iā€™m surprised that Foksy is saying that 1 word tags are best.
Thanks in advance, Ali

Iā€™m surprised to hear about one word tags being best too - I always thought short phrases were better! One word tags seem a bit vague and not specific enough.

1 Like

Iā€™ve used a mixture of single words and 2 word phrases that hopefully would be put in a search together (e.g wedding day, red roses) Iā€™ve also put in variations to spelling that people might use (e.g personalised and personalized) someone on another thread has already seen a jump in their shop views so Iā€™m keeping my fingers crossed that this works :smile:

Hi Sian,
I wonder if you could confirm whether the tags are for the benefit of being found by google, or whether itā€™s for Folksyā€™s internal search. As far as I am aware, google prefers 2 to 3 word tags and not 1 word tags, but of course if the tags are just for Folksy search, thatā€™s a different matter.
Thanks Ali

yep that was me that saw the jump in views and Iā€™ve using single words and 2 and 3 word combinations. I decided best to cover all my bases as I want to catch people via google search.

1 Like

Sorry Ali, I didnā€™t spot your last reply.

Iā€™m not sure to be honest! Definitely for Folksy search/navigation but not sure what the implications/expectations are for Google. @JamesB @dougfolksy can you help?

I sell on a couple of other websites and they use tags (although they call them keywords, I presume they are the same thing?) and those tags have to be in the body of the description somewhere. If they are not in the description, google will penalise the page. So if someone does use ā€˜Sam Smith Grammy winnerā€™ and this phrase is not in the description, google will penalise it. At least this is my understanding of how it works : /