The Benefit Of Relisting Before Item Expired

As I am on plus now, one of the ‘benefits’ is being able to relist items at any time without paying again. Can anyone explain what the benefit of doing this is? I realize the listing has a longer date on it, but having relisted one or two items, I have noticed they don’t actually shop up on the front page as a newly listed item do they? So are there any other benefits from relisting before expiry,a s I’m not actually ‘getting it’.

Morning Bea - if you relist an item it should move to the top of your ‘listings’ but it doesn’t change the position on your front page. You can now do this in “shopkeeping” where you can move what appears on your front page to any order you like. I love this feature as I can re-arrange my shop front as often as I like to keep it fresh.

I believe resisting items also brings them up to the on the folksy front page in any of the gift guides or themes of the day. Others should be able to explain this better,

Lovely work in your shop :blush:

1 Like

When an item is relisted it doesnt show up on the front page and it no longer affects it position in search results (it used to but the algorithm was changed).
Relisting does boost the item up to the top in the categories or gift guides or theme of the day pages. We dont know how many people actually browse those pages so if there is any point in worrying about our placement in those (i suspect majority just use search).

Awww thank you :slight_smile:

For the newest items on Folksy section, the 8 items that show on the front page should all be truly new items that were just listed (or I think it also allows originally listed within the past couple of months that have been relisted). If you relist an older item it won’t show in these 8, but once you click ‘see more’ it will include all of the relisted items.

I doubt many buyers are using that to shop though so not the most important place. Like others have said, it’ll also bring your item to the front of its category page, for tag pages (theme of the day), but won’t make a difference to search results.

I expect buyers that know what they’re looking for are most likely to use search where it doesn’t matter, but those that don’t have a clear idea and are having a more general browse might be more likely to use these other sections which are ordered by recency.

That may make it seem like it’s better to have all your items at the front, but people generally seem frustrated when they see large clumps from one seller, and if it’s not their style, may just skip past a few pages to get past them (not looking at those items at all and also missing anyone else who relisted at the same time). You also get some people that mention they like to start at the back or pick a random page, so because of that, I do think it’s good to relist so there’s always one of my items somewhere near the front, but I spread it out. I usually relist a couple of items a day that are nearest expiry, and because of how many items I have, that means my listings should be pretty evenly spread throughout the pages of their category. No matter where people start looking, one of my items shouldn’t be too far away.

1 Like

We have just over 100 items in our shop at the moment - stocks are a bit low for my baskets as it’s the end of year and I haven’t been able to keep up with the making. I have my own version of “Folksy Friday” - my dedicated shop admin day - when - depending on the amount of stock we have - I relist a few - currently 6 - so I am only relisting once a week. Now we have the brilliant option of re-arranging how our stock displays in our shop front page, I do that process along with changing the featured items and checking and -re-editing listings to try and keep them fresh. It spreads out the admin and keeps the page working rather than staying static. Works for us :blush:

1 Like

I relist a page at a time because otherwise i forget and they go into the expired folder. Then they get mixed up with items i dont want to relist and i curse myself for the extra work involved in siphoning out the good from the unwanted.

1 Like

I had no idea that relisted items that sell never show up in the recent sales section on our shops. That kind of sucks if you sell a lot of relisted items. Makes it look as though your shop has no sales.

Wait, what?? I had no idea either! What on earth is the reasoning behind that?

Relisted items should show in your sold section? But they’ll only show once. For example if I sell 5 of the same Christmas card to different buyers, it’ll only appear once on my sold items page, in the position for the most recent sale of it.

Yes, apparently that’s what happens. Personally I don’t like it. I’d rather customers see what I sell and how many no matter the item.

Good thing most of mine are one-offs!

1 Like

Yeah, I was also expecting to see a count of how many of the same item have been sold, but to my surprise there isn’t any. We can see how many people have loved the item, but not how many have bought it.