Updates to the Homepage

I was only suggesting that it could be considered. It hasn’t always been here. As for it “not being fair”, is it fair to make Folksy less attractive as a whole to customers for selfish reasons? What customer wants to be confronted by a load of, say, relisted jewellery findings? Also I never said anything about wanting to get rid of Plus Listing, but just because some people use it with consideration, it doesn’t mean that everyone does…

I just relisted my entire shop to prove my point, and by the time I went to the front page to see them, they were already way down on page two…probably on page 4 or 5 by now…

Who is to say what is attractive? As a jeweller I don’t mind seeing jewellery findings - I might find something I want to use and there are a lot of us jewellers out there. I guess the issue is seeing too much of any one thing and seeing too many poor photos (that is not aimed at anyone in particular just a general comment) - those things would put me off as a potential shopper.
The weekend is a bad time to do listings if you can avoid it as the people who sell here in conjunction with a full time job only really get time to wrangle their shops (new listings and relistings) at the weekend.

That is why most of us with the plus account only list a few items in one session, but as you have proved, if you do list your entire shop it soon disappears down the pages. There are so many people listing on here you still get variety.

It’s how it works for the Customer that we should be focussing on. If Page 1 of the Recently Listed is mostly items from the same shop, they are not going to bother going to page 2, let alone 4 or 5. If there’s a good mix, they are likely to look at more pages, visit more shops, and view more items, which is better for all of us. I don’t mind how often and how many items people list, but potential buyers should see as wide a mix of items and shops as possible on every visit.

5 Likes

I agree with you, Helen. That’s how it used to be before Plus was introduced.

And I love it too and would be Horrified :anguished: if it went.

No objection at all though to a restriction on the number that can be relisted in a day. I relist only as and when needed - when something/s is about to drop off the bottom into the Expired box.

Gone from mine too which is aggravating.

Also I notice that the ‘category selection’ box which annoyingly pops up to cover the top 50% of the screen has become most invasive - and on both computers so it’s nothing I did. Makes it very difficult to sign in,

2 Likes

but Marg I note you don’t have that many listings in your shop. For those of us who carry a lot of stock it’s a financial thing, a simple matter of arithmetic.
I don’t Ever relist to get my stuff into the newly listed. I relist because something hasn’t sold but I want to keep it in my shop.

3 Likes

Hear Hear. Lets have a daily limit. For those who simply relist everything every 4 months the solution is simple, they can split the relist over a week and tick each listing that needs it rather than the ALL box.

I would be perfectly happy with a limit of 10 but think that might be considered too few by some - so how about a limit of 25 ? or 30 as a page holds 60 lists so that’s half a page ?

2 Likes

I like that suggestion very much. :smile:

3 Likes

I have also noticed the invasive category section (most annoying). I wish Folksy would just show genuine new listings instead of all these relists, as when you do list something new it’s very rare it gets on to the front page. I think there is just one space for a new listing and the same image is there for about ten minutes, so lots of new listings are missed.

1 Like

I agree about the category section…it’s a pain to get rid of too once it’s taken over the page!

I’d probably leave if it weren’t for the plus account as it allows me to list things that I wouldn’t otherwise be inclined to list - I’ve sold a lot of pieces that I wasn’t quite sure about and so wouldn’t have listed if it weren’t already paid for. If I had to pay per listing I’d resurrect my tictail account as there are no fees to pay with that one. Virtually all my sales are self driven so I don’t think I’d lose out.

Whole shop relists (or at the very least whole page relists) should be allowed but kept off the recently listed slot - it is possible as relists don’t appear on the smorgasbord.

5 Likes

I miss the pinterest boards, I quite enjoyed seeing a selection of items with a theme, created by different people.

4 Likes

Hi, and thanks for all your feedback. To begin with, we are trialling the use of Pinterest boards as Gift Guides. If your board is chosen, the Gift Guide will be published for at least a week, and possibly up to a month (depending on how it goes, how many submissions we get, how many items are in the guide, how seasonal they are, etc.). They will come up randomly on the homepage in the same way that staff-curated boards do, and it is possible that more than one will be published at a time. Hopefully this means they’ll get seen more than the daily Pinterest boards.

You can find three community-curated boards (‘Swallows Return’, ‘Cherry Blossom Spring’ and ‘Spiky’) in the Gift Guides here:
https://folksy.com/gift-guides

We will also be using boards as the basis for some of our Folksy Weekly buyer emails (which are sent directly to 60,000 subscribers weekly), and for sharing on Twitter.
See the latest Folksy Weekly with a board curated by Sianuska here:

Please keep submitting your Pinterest selections using the same link, and if you have any feedback about using the Pinterest boards for Gift Guides, emails etc., please let us know!

If you struggle to create boards on your own, or if you just fancy a bit of collaboration with other Folksy people, we’d love to see those too! You can make group Pinterest boards by inviting other people to pin items to your board but, due to technical limitations, the owner of the board will be credited as the curator if we select it!

The link to submit your boards is:

1 Like

A note about a couple of the other sections on the front page that were brought up in this thread:

1. Recently Listed
    This has been added back into the front page to improve/speed up the indexing of Folksy items on Google. We appreciate it’s not ideal to see blocks of the same seller, and we’ll be thinking about ways to improve this without de-valuing the Plus account, but it’s just a first step to improve our search results.

2. Items from your Favourite sellers
    We found from user-testing that many buyers didn’t realise they could access favourites, or they forgot about them because they were too hidden. We understand this may be frustrating for those of you who use Folksy very regularly (particularly as sellers), but we are trying to drive buyer behaviour with this section. Remember if your shop is in a buyer’s favourites, they’ll see your items more often now! We’ll be testing it to see if it increases favouriting of items and sales.

3. Refresh button removed
    This was removed because it wasn’t being used. You can still refresh content by refreshing the page in your browser.

We’re also trialling your suggestions for Gift Guides using the Showcase forum. Please add your suggestions for the Father’s Day Gift Guide to the thread I’ve linked to below:

3 Likes

My bookmark goes straight to the log in page so I too very rarely see the front page.

That’s how I used to use the relist function when I had a plus account too. I could never see the point of relisting everything at once and having 5 mins on the top of the list when I could relist a few at a time and have 5 mins at the top several times a day.

2 Likes