Using seo on folksy

Hi

I’m quite new to the site having moved here from Etsy. As many of you may be aware, SEO in titles, tags and descriptions are extremely important on Etsy (and Google for that matter) in order to have your products show up at the top of the list.

It seems here that there are few opportunities to utilise tags and titles as an instrument. What am I missing? Is relevant SEO generated by the platform like ebay or do the individual shops need to list in a precise way. I am used to having the ability to use numerous tags. Here, it seems that if I try to use the tags tailored to my product, most of the time I get a message stating that these tags are not or have not been used enough for them to come up on a pre-populated list but if enough people use them they will add them. Frankly, I have no idea what this actually means. LOL.

If anyone here can give my an idea of what I should be doing relative to SEO I would be very grateful

Good day and good sales.

If you are putting words in the colours and materials sections then I’m not sure these are used in the search (I may be wrong, but they always seem like an unessential part of the listings to me).

My tip would be don;t use unnecessary words in your titles, use the words people would use to search for your products. Also try and use as many words as you can in your description, as they will be picked up in the search on here.

It amazes me that people will use one or two words for their title, one line for their description, and then they complain about lack of sales and being hard to find - you need the words in your title / description for the words to be picked up when people search for them :smiley:
Hope that helps :smiley:

I actually find Etsy very restrictive with the limit of 'tag’s you can use in comparison to how many words you can use in your description over here, but that’s my way of looking at things :smile:

I am no expert on SEO, though, so I’m sure others will have better advice about being found on Google.

1 Like

Thanks Dandelions.

I appreciate the insight. I do try to use relevant titles in my listings as well as repeating those words in my descriptions but I certainly am not seeing the views I would expect. I guess I need to polish these up and look at off site areas to generate my own traffic. I really hate social networking sites but I guess I will need to overcome this if I want a successful shop here.

Thanks again,
Regards,
Leslie

Hi,

I read something recently, on the Folksy Blog (I think), which said they have made improvements to Search (they really have - it now works pretty well!) and also to how items are found. It mentioned Title and Description as where the Search looks for keywords etc, so we should now try to make our titles and descriptions relevant - include words that your target buyer might search on.
Not certain where the article is, but I would think it’s still near the top on the Blog (Tumblr) pages (if that’s where I saw it!).

Anyway, relevancy in Titles & Description seems to be important now, yes!

Good luck with your new Folksy shop.

Lizzie
LizzieMade Hand Bound Books

1 Like

Thanks Lizzie.

I read that article but it really doesn’t address my query in any great detail. I understand about the titles and descriptions here on Folksy but Google and other search pages use different criteria, If someone on this site types “pendant necklace” then my listing will show up fairly high up so internally I think I’m OK. On google if that term is used its buried - in fact I never did find it. On Etsy I was much more successful in having my items show up quite early in the results.

Thank you again for responding and your good wishes, Same to you!

Leslie

Yes, Leslie, I read just recently, that Google have made changes to the way their links work -someone at Etsy was complaining it’s much harder to be “found” in searches now.
But I have no understanding of how it all works, I’m afraid.
Trial and error, perhaps!

Lizzie

1 Like

Google keep changing the goal posts lately on a seemingly monthly basis which really doesn’t help. Reading their stuff on how their SEO works is recommended if you’re an insomniac I think!

1 Like

I’m guilty of short titles on some of my pieces, but that’s because I’m overdue an editing session. I changed FROM long descriptive titles to short ones before the last changes - because that was how the algorithm worked. now it’s changed again…but I can’t face the task!

3 Likes

Thank you all for responding to my question! Great bunch of folks around here, So glad I moved from that other place.

I am determined to make this work as I am coming up to retirement and I am going to need something to keep me occupied and hopefully make some ££ as well.

I guess it is time for this old dog to learn some new tricks!

Thanks again
Regards,
Leslie

2 Likes

@NiftyKnits - Nifty, how about a couple each time you login? It would soon get done then!

Lizzie
x

1 Like

Good luck Leslie!

1 Like

true - have to see if I can remember where I left my motivation. I know I put it down somewhere… :telescope:

3 Likes

Tell me about it! I was using one word titles that got me to the top of the search, now I’m working my way through all 500+ as single words don;t work so well now.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone. I will keep following the thread. Maybe a magic wand will appear!