Weekly Art Chat 14th - 20th April 2014

Wow! Your poppy cross stitch is amazing!
Stunning work!

Hi everyone, this is my first time here, so about to have a go at posting a photo.
Hopefully it will be more successful than the webinar I watched earlier. I’ve not done one before and had no idea how to join in with the chat! I could see the video though, all good fun :smile:

1 Like

That is beautiful Margaret, love it.

Margaret your poppies are truly stunning and the pictures show off the colours and the texture beautifully.

I’m looking forward to everyone chatting on this forum now :smile: Big waves!

Goodnight all, see you tomorrow.

1 Like

Thanks all for the poppy love :smile:
Brenda have a look at your profile, it says what level of user you are in there.

Absolutely Fabulous! :smile:

Good Morning All :slight_smile:

This is new from me today …

2 Likes

morning all…lovely work on show here today…I will show an oldie later as the new forum doesn’t like me showing the same item more than once and my new listing is on the “What have you listed today” thread.

Brenda you can show it more than once, you just need different words to go with it otherwise the system will think it’s spam.

Lovely poppies Hazel, they go well against the pink.

Meet my house guest :smile:

1 Like

Good morning all, lovely day down here, but a tad chilly… I’ve a brand new listing for today, from a visit to the Lake District, this picture is from Derwent Water:

2 Likes

That’s interesting to know Brenda, will take a bit of thinking about. I notice that the image I posted yesterday from my website has disappeared, it looks as if it has been commented out which is strange. Has anyone else posted images from places other than Folksy? I wonder if perhaps it’s because I linked it back to the original and it would be ok without the link?

I haven’t tried posting from elsewhere yet Helen but it would be a problem if we can’t link outside of Folksy as we sometimes discuss art techniques that we have seen elsewhere. @SianFolksy can you cast any light on why Helen’s picture has disappeared?

Hmm, no idea sorry - we haven’t removed anything and there isn’t a setting that would disallow it. @ffflowers could you please try editing your post and adding the image back in again. If it disappears again it might be worth asking the Discourse admins if they can spot any issues.

Thanks @SianFolksy. I’ve added it back in and it’s showing fine here (using Firefox) but when I look at it from my other session (using Chrome) all I see is an empty image box. Can everyone else see it? Way back near the beginning of the thread, a little fence in a box. It’s not a massively huge image or anything silly like that.

Stephie…as usual, being a dumbo…what do you mean about words… I didn’t write anything with the picture??..explain to me…(in baby language…lol) In the mean time I thought I would show an oldie that would delist soon…

2 Likes

No problem Brenda!

When you post a picture it converts it to words.

If you put the exact same words in more than one post the system thinks you are spamming, so if you add some real words that are different to go with your picture it should let you post them.

So for example, I posted my budgies with no extra words in the no chat gallery.

Then I posted them in this thread with the words “meet my house guest :)” and there was no problem with the post.

If I wanted to put them in another thread as well I’d have to think of something else to say so that the post was not exactly the same as either of the other ones.

Does that make sense?

Just popping in to say hello with my proper ‘art’ shop now that I can - tis me, ffflowers in disguise!

1 Like

No I still can’t see it today but I could see it yesterday. I use Chrome.

Exactly this. Please do think about your audience and how they’re going to react to seeing the same image posted multiple times across the same forum. Presumably the aim is for potential buyers to click through to buy or favourite your shop/item. However, overselling can easily backfire and make people switch off or even mute the category. Choose different items for different threads and try to engage your audience - explain what’s different or interesting about the item or why you’ve chosen to feature that item in particular.

Remember also that there are other places and ways to promote your work that might be as (or more) effective. Here are some tips from the experts!