Weekly Art Chat w/c 21st July ..... come on in and see whats going on

Sounds great Shirley :slight_smile: look forward to seeing your new carpets :slight_smile:

Margaretā€¦,.I have no idea what else I can do with my photosā€¦I use makro and take two picsā€¦one with a surround, so that when I square it off, which is a folksy requirement it leaves a borderā€¦there is NOTHING I can do about thatā€¦I also take a pic that fills the frame but if I just use that one, it distorts the photoā€¦Camilla is saying to take the full framed one and square itā€¦which will cut off the edges of the painting, so you will lose some of the paintingā€¦she seems to think that this is ok and that people will go to my shop to see the whole thing but I think it would spoil it.
I have tried everything and no one else seems to get this problem, so I really have no idea what to do.
I actually think her comments are a bit unfair as she says it is better to have a full frame, yet they have featured pics taken from a distanceā€¦ie ones on the mini easels, and THEY get featured. I asked on friend but she scans her paintings and I donā€™t have a scannerā€¦
Look at Annaleeā€™s picture aboveā€¦that has plenty of surrounding at least mine only have a black border that looks like a frame so I donā€™t know what she is talking about. Also look at Jeanieā€™s aboveā€¦also with surroundā€¦so I donā€™t think Camilla understands the problem
There is no other way to take a photo ā€¦so I am at a lossā€¦

Afternoon :slight_smile:

Just wondered if you saw my post this morning trying to promote art as a gift option ā€¦

http://talk.folksy.com/t/the-gift-of-art/

I think the photo / staging and the home page will be an on going discussion ā€¦

This same conversation went on and on in the shop section of the old forum, folksy even did a blog post about taking better pictures as I remember. I did change the way I think about my picture display now and I do show a lot of the larger pieces in frames and I do think they look good and show how they could look for the customer.

And this is why I do it ā€¦ Not to try and get on the front page, I am on there sometimes with the new system when I list or if I get a few loves (always appreciated ) but I donā€™t believe appearing on the front page makes a lot of difference to sales for me personally :slight_smile:

Hope you can find a way you are happy with Brenda :slight_smile:

1 Like

Afternoon all, Brenda is wonder if itā€™s because your border is black, where most on the fp are white or light shades, I notice too that the paintings shown on the fp are all cropped square cutting off some of the painting, so maybe you could try a few with white borders and some without borders, though Iā€™ve never been picked either so donā€™t really know what the answer is Brenda, wish I did though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Max I have seen your items on the home page a couple of times, like mine they maybe fleeting visits as we had just listed etc :slight_smile:

Nice pics everybody!
Im having a buy one get one free on my mounted prints. Even if you buy a small print you will get an A4 print for free.
I like a fantasy fairy theme for most of my work but i also like birds ao hopefully there will be something for everybody.

1 Like

Thanks Hazel, yes I do get a warm glow when they pop up for a few seconds when listed and loved and Ive even had a few featured pinterest boards but never been a featured shop not had anything in a gift guide, those are the ones most people feel get the most benefit :(. I got excited when I saw one of your parrots in the carnival one a few weeks ago and Stephie got some in a more recent one so I know they do pick up art, but hey ho keep plodding on :)!

I love the birds too @GrimmExhibition, love the blue tit especially with the vintage feel to it

Edit - Hazel I just seen one of yours there too your lovely lilacs :wink:

1 Like

Thank you:o)

this one is just for you Brenda @teabreaks. I managed to track these two that appeared on the front page after I loved them, they stayed there for a while at leastā€¦ every little helps

and this one was there for longer

1 Like

Nice pics everyone :slight_smile:

Mine have only been featured and picked for gift guide since I changed my style of main photo to be on an easel with a plain white background. Itā€™s easy to make them Square like this, and I think they look much more professional than they used to. It also gives non collectors an idea of how they can display them.

Personally I canā€™t see anything wrong with your listing today Brenda, I think the black border all around looks good.

Iā€™m seeing a friend on Wed that I havenā€™t seen for at least 25 years! She has two girls under ten so I painted them a dolls house beach scene each.

not having a good dayā€¦canā€™t cope with all thisā€¦I will just continue the way I have and blow itā€¦

2 Likes

OOh, I wouldnā€™t use my pictures as examples in relation to what is or isnā€™t acceptable, the photos of my items is one of the things that I need to put some effort into as soon as I have a spare moment. I need to unify the look of all my photos to create a more standard/pleasing/uniform palette for my shop. I went and had a look at your shop and I do think that maybe Steph has a point in that if you make the background white, this will blend into the shopā€™s white photo borders and really make your artwork the focal point. It could be that the black border detracts from your artwork in itā€™s starkness. This is completely whacky I know, and as yet not tested by me, but I had thought of taking a strong cardboard box a can of white spraypaint, and spraying the inside white with a number of even layers. This would create a mini photo booth with complete white surrounds in which to take photos. When I get round to trying it, I will let you know how it works out, or if you wanted to give it a try, maybe you could let me know. :smile:

Donā€™t get downhearted about it though, your artwork is fantastic.
Annelee xx

1 Like

I know that white backgrounds are in vogue, but I must admit I do like the varied back grounds.

My showcase item is a framed embroidered picture of a parrot in flight about the canopy!

Natalie x

1 Like

Iā€™m not fussed about white backgrounds. I love to look at articles displayed in a variety of ways. More intersting to the eyeā€¦IMHO.

morning all, looks like itā€™s going to be another scorcher here itā€™s very muggy already, though cloudy. Showing this little cutie today, I havenā€™t listed this one yet, canā€™t quite bring myself to part with it :).

2 Likes

Max that is lovely and looks great in the frame :smile:

Morning everyone :slight_smile:

I have just listed this set of 4 herb paintings, I did have them listed elsewhere individually but I think they are better as a set so I have reduced the price and made them a set ā€¦ each 5 x 5 inches.

1 Like

Morning all, fab work everyone!

Cute butterfly Max, looks lovely in that frame.

Hazel, those herbs look great as a set, it would be a shame to split them up and sell them separately really. Hope they find a good home soon!

1 Like

Thanks Margaret hope you have a good day :slight_smile:

Theyā€™re really pretty Hazel, the 3 purply ones would look great framed as a triptych.

Lovely mini Max. I hang on to the ones Iā€™m very attached to, although I find the longer I keep them, the harder it is to let them go!

My laptop is having a stropā€¦It ran out of power half way through an update and is not happy about it. Ooops! So Iā€™m commenting from my phone - apols if Iā€™ve missed anyone and big waves to all :slight_smile:

Yes they would Stephie thank you :slight_smile:

We have 3 pots of herbs I painted in our kitchen / dinning Room ā€¦ Iā€™ll try and upload a picture Iā€™m on my phone too so donā€™t know if it will work - Iā€™m cooking at the moment do not near PC - doing beetroot and rhubarb from the garden - not together lol

2 Likes