What am I doing wrong?

Hi everyone,

I have been crafting, designing and making unusual, creative, quirky jewelries and home decors in the last 4 years. I started more regularly on every day basis in 2013 november. I made a facebook page then and now finally got to the stage where I have a website and also registered on Folksy. I took quite good picture (I think), wrote good titles and descriptions.
I know success take a lot of time and effort, but it just doesn’t seem to go anywhere…
I am not selling fashionable, bling bling items because that is just not me. Making unusual, colorful, quirky jewelries and home decors. Is that the problem that I’m not following the crowd?
If you have got any, I have said ANY suggestions what I could try please let me know!

Many many thanks,
NobiasArt aka Orsi

2 Likes

I’d love to say I have an answer but I have encountered so many of the issues you mention here. I was given a piece of advice to put more items in my Folksy shop-about 40- and I’m still working my way towards that figure. I don’t see anything at all wrong with your photos (but I’m not an expert-at all!) and your things are lovely and have your own unique style, which ought to be the main thing after all. My husband says people just don’t want to spend money at the moment, and maybe he has a point, because you can’t turn on the tv or listen to the radio these days without hearing the same old austerity messages, but I don’t think that people’s money is that tight they can’t afford things in the price bracket that you and I make!
Mainly, I just make stuff these days because I am compelled to make things and that is who I am. I don’t expect to make my fortune! But if anyone gives you that magic piece of advice that works, I’d love to know :wink:

Love Sam x

Ps I favorited your dip-dye ring.

The trouble is that you are up against massive amounts of competition. There are thousands of jewellery sellers online, and it’s very difficult to get seen amongst them all. I think it’s an advantage to be a bit different and quirky, because some customers are looking for that kind of item. There’s no easy answer, selling anything online is very difficult, especially jewellery.

3 Likes

It looks like you’re doing ok on Facebook. You’ve got a fair size audience there. Do you sell directly from Facebook? If you do, that would explain the low sales here, (plus that your shop link on Facebook is to Etsy). The people that do well on here use social media to link their customers here to buy. If you want to sell well here, you need to put links to your shop here all over the place to direct customers here.

Jo

1 Like

I think when you are doing something that is different from the masses and will therefore possibly appeal to a limited audience, it’s harder to sell in a way. You have to work hard at finding your customers, and I admit I’m still struggling with that aspect myself. I also know from feedback that people like what I do, but some won’t pay the asking price, because they are used to buying from the High Street at mass produced prices. This reduces my client base even more, as I’m looking for someone that appreciates handmade, unique items, and likes them enough to pay the asking price!

I know I need to spend more time on PR in particular to get into publications that will reach my ideal customers. So that will be my next goal!

I think sitting down and thinking who your ideal customer is, where they shop and how you can get your items in front of them is a good start.

1 Like

Cutes stuff! Sorry, no advice! I’m only with low sales, still looking for the magic key! Social media is probably the only way you will get anyone here. Word of mouth too?

Hi Orsi,
I don’t think you are doing anything wrong other than being in a very competative sections, a quick search turned up 273 felt necklaces and over 2000 pieces of jewellery made with buttons. If you do the comparisons based on number of items at a similar price point they become truly depressing (£5-£25 range has over 13000 items!). Unless you are directing people to your items here through promotion your chances of being found ‘by accident’ are slim.
At a good craft market I can sell more pieces of jewellery in one day than I have sold here in almost 2 years but interestingly if I work out the average sale price for the craft fairs it is normally in the £15-20 bracket whilst for sales via folksy its over £25.
Sasha

Thank you Sam for your nice words. I know people don’t want and can’t spend money on luxury things like jewellery, but some people seem to do more then fine and just wondering how those people made their fortune:) I always thought that people would be interested in unusual, different pieces, but now I tend to think they more like the factory made items they see on everyone. Just because they have seen on others. So my market niche is super tiny:(
If I hear any good hints and tips I will share and spread some info. Till then best of luck for you too:)

1 Like

Hi Jo,
I would love to put my Folksy page app on my facebook page, but have got no clue how. I have managed to put my etsy app there last year somehow, but have got no clue:( OOh and I do sell trough my facebook page as well, because lots of people seem to find that easier:(

Nothing wrong with selling direct through Facebook, you don’t get any shop fees there :slight_smile:

If you want your Folksy shop on Facebook, then you can use the Folksy widget. Go into your Folksy dashboard, find Widgets on the left hand menu, choose your widget style from the drop down menu, then copy the code in the box underneath. In Facebook search for Woobox (it’s an app to add links onto Facebook), add it to your business page and copy in that widget code as the link. You can add your own pic for the app so when it shows on your Facebook page it shows where it links to. You can see my Folksy widget (using the button that links to it) on the left of my page under Apps - https://www.facebook.com/JosaraDesign - mine is done using Woobox too.

Jo

If you are doing well on Facebook, then why change something that is working? Stick at it, nothing stopping you from aiming for your fortune! Go for it!:grinning:

To sell on Folksy you do have to drive your target market customer to your Folksy shop.

That means a continually promoting your items/shop on as many different social media sites as possible.

Also use business cards to give to people with your folksy shop address on.

1 Like

That’s good advice Eileen, I must remember to give out my business cards

Just oredered business cards:) Hoping that will help a wee bit. Thank ladies

Here is my own designed business cards, but unfortunately completely forgot to put my folksy page there:( But what do you say about it? I took the pictures as well. Feeling very positive. I hope will take my crafty business to the next level:)

1 Like

I like those :slight_smile:

thank you:) I 've tried my best lol

I was just about to say, you’ve forgot your Folksy shop! What a shame. But I like them anyway, nice and colourful!

Thank you:) Is a real shame, next time I will change with Pinterest address.