What do you do with all your fabric scraps?

I have a box full of fabric scraps that I can’t bring myself to throw away because fabric is expensive lol
most of them aren’t even big enough for patchwork so I was wondering if anyone does anything with their scraps to put them to good use?
Donna x

My smallest bits I use for crazy patchwork.

Other bits I use in hook rug making.

Covering those buttons that require a fabric covering.

I’ve used some bits in collegue work it stuck down with a pva glue for scrape booking.

I have a note book that the cover got torn on as the card was too flimsy/thin. I used tiny bits of fabric scraps and pva glued them to the torn cover. The cover is now strong and hard and looks great. When I get it out to write notes in people always ask where did I buy it. oohhh I should do one for my shop.

2 Likes

Those are some great ideas Eileen, I especially like the note book idea, I’ve been looking for a nice one to write all my aromatherapy recipes in. It never occurred to me to make one lol Does the PVC in the fabric make it slightly waterproof?
Donna x

I have them all in a plastic storage tower. I don’t believe in throwing anything out. I’m a bit of a Magpie.

lol I’m the same Pauline I have to have a sort out though as hubby is building me another work table and I have to make some room. It’s difficult though as you never know when you might need something :smile:
Donna x

1 Like

I keep them stuffed in a big drawer! Especially the Harris Tweed bits, even tiny little triangles!
I do use some bits for button covering, and I made a soft fabric book for my grandson.

I love the notebook idea Eileen @EileensCraftStudio . I have a big bottle of PVA glue too so I might just have a go at some notebooks or folders for Christmas pressies for family.

I can feel a sticky finger day coming on. :smiley:

Shirley x

1 Like

My Scrap material i make crochet hook cases, or pin cushions or hanging hearts for the Christmas tree or - well my ideas do go on sorry lol :smile:

1 Like

My scrap material - I look at in despair, as the pile is HUGE!!!
The very tiny bits I tried putting out for the birds to build nests with last year, but either I have garden birds with very particular decorating tastes or they just don’t like manmade fibres in their homes, as none were taken.

I don’t keep the really small bits, but the small-ish ones I keep with all good intentions of patchwork, but what normally happens is that I end up with a whole heap of unfinished patchwork joining the scraps :slight_smile:

I chuck all my scrappy bits in a box as I go along, then have a bit of a clear-out when it gets full, and only keep the pieces that are big enough to use - these get stored in another box!

If I need a small piece for something, there’s usually something in the scrap box I can use - and let’s face it, I’m never going to struggle to find a piece of fabric :smile:

I’m not sure pva will make it completely waterproof as pva is water soluble. However water does tend to run off it just don’t rub it dry.

Someone recommended to me to chop it all up really small and use it as stuffing to make a puff ball quilt.
I haven’t got around to it yet but maybe…one day…

Kim
x

2 Likes

You could always buy a showerproof spray like I did when I made my Plaited wreaths, which were like this.

Wow, so many great ideas :slight_smile: I’m going to have to make more scraps now so I can try them all lol
Thank you everyone.
Donna x

I watched on utube a demonstration where the small scraps are sandwiched between a fine fabric, organza type, and then randomly sewn, if you have a walking foot on your machine a lovely pattern could be achieved. Once you have this “new” fabric you can make needle cases, small art projects or anything you can think of. I sorted my bits out and have only kept the bits that are 4" or more. Marg. x

3 Likes

Oohhh - love that idea!

I have given some of my scraps away to a crafter friend , and some I give to charity - and the rest I make crazy patchwork with ( when I have the time ) …but I never seem to be able to catch up :smile:

They are waiting for the day that I have a brainwave about how to use them to make something stunning!

1 Like

It depends on the shape but if your scraps are long enough you could always make your own bias binding. I’ve never done it before but saw a tutorial and that could work.

Alternatively, I keep all of my scraps to make these cute decorative balls. Apologies for the bad picture- I just took it quickly to show you what I mean! The method is basically making cuts in polystyrene shapes and stuffing the material in the gaps. They are quite time consuming but very fun to make!

They’re not in my shop just yet, but this weekend I’m hoping to post a bunch of these up (with better pictures!) so if any of you like the look of them please keep a watch on my shop :slight_smile:

As a child I used to design and create my sindy/barbie doll clothes from my Mums fabric scraps - perhaps a couture range could be started Donna? I also used to knit them jumpers using sewing needles and thread - but that is another story…

Jacqueline x

1 Like

Some more great ideas :slight_smile: I love the christmas bauble Jennie @TheMeadsCraftHouse
and making new fabric out of them is also a great idea Marg, I’ll have a go at that and let you know how it goes @memicrafts
I’m not sure I’d have the patience for Barbie clothes Jacqueline, but I’ll have a go. I just happen to know a little girl who just loves her Barbies :slight_smile: I ave never been able to get the hand of knitting with normal needles, not sure I want to even think about trying with sewing needles lol @JAustenJewelleryDesign
Donna x