What else are you doing whilst making things?

I wondered what other Folksy creatives are doing while making their items? Listening to music? handsfree phoning? TV?
I can’t look away from doing my pyrography or I’ll burn the house down but I listen to the radio mostly. Plays and comedies etc. I’m also trying to learn Welsh from having Youtube vids burbling away in the background, that don’t need me to look up.

1 Like

I buy heaps of audio books and listen to those.
A good book will keep me at the workbench much longer than the radio, often it is hard to stop to feed the family.

1 Like

I’m usually listening to music or the TV in the background with a nice pot of tea on the go

1 Like

I am busy making a neck warmer whilst watching TV.

1 Like

When I’m cutting my glass and soldering… in the garage…I have music on and I sing. (Can’t sing along with the grinder as it’s out of tune).
Between grinding and soldering I sit in the front room doing my copper foiling and I watch inane daytime TV. Never anything of any interest because as soon as I finish copper foiling I go back to the garage to solder and I therefore can’;t watch anything where I need to see the end !

2 Likes

Music for me and a cup of tea, although I usually forget to drink it, don’t know how many times I heat it up in the microwave :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Your grinder sounds like a noisy creature! I have a portable fume extractor on while working so have to have other sounds turned up quite loud to hear them.

It spits at me too !

1 Like

Listening to metal albums which I review on another site.

2 Likes

Brilliant! Two jobs at once :grinning:

I love the peace and quiet so when I am making my jewellery I’m in a world of my own! :blush:

1 Like

This morning I have been bending some wire into frames for earrings, running the washing machine and oxidising some silver in the garden all whilst being on hold with the phone company. Now I shall turn on the radio.

2 Likes

It’s a great space for just thinking, isn’t it.

1 Like

Now THAT’S impressive! :hugs:
Just had a little look - your earrings are lovely!

1 Like

I listen to a lot of films and tv programmes. They have to be ones where I can recognise each character by voice as I don’t have much chance to look up!

For my sins, I did spend about a month binge listening to the whole boxset of Shameless! I must get some audiobooks of the classics and get a bit of culture instead!

1 Like

I usually stream Planet Rock through the tablet during the day whether I am at the marbling bath or at my desk. At night, one of my CDs. I also spend my time fending off the cats from interfering too much!

I often have the tv on in the background, it’s in another room so I can’t see it… it goes onto standby after 2 hours if it hasn’t been touched. More often than not I notice it’s gone silent and it’s a great reminder to take a break and pop the kettle on.

2 Likes

It’s rare I’m doing that much at once but when I hear the magic words ‘your call is important to us…’ I put them on speaker phone and get on with something else at the same time. There have been occasions where they have accidentally been greeted with a ‘oh b*gger it’ as a drop whatever I was working on when they startled me by actually answering my important call.
(I’m slowly adding your dishes to my wood pinterest board - they must take hours to do)

Yes I live it :two_hearts:

I flit between the 2 craft channels whilst Im crafting on the sofa.
Soldering I do have the tv on sometimes but annoying when I have to turn a full180 and crick my neck to see something that sounds interesting on the tv. Music every now and again whilst soldering or sewing. I have a Learn Japanese tape set,I guess I could listen to that. It only taken me 17 years to get to page 8.

1 Like