When did you start?

I was good at art at school but then I went to do the foundation course prior to the degree and realised I was a very small fish in a big sea of much better artists - so I went and did my degree in a very safe job-resulting subject instead and worked in libraries and associated information and research work for the next 30 years! However, in my late 40s, I went back to that same college where I did my foundation course and spent 4 years of night classes doing silversmithing and 3D design. I had found my niche - the silversmithing option hadnā€™t been open to me the first time round, otherwise that crossroads in my life wouldā€™ve led me down a totally different road. I may be late but at least Iā€™ve started and am thoroughly enjoying life as it now is.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been sewing since I was 9 and knitting too. My granny embroidered and thatā€™s what influenced me. My mum taught me to knit and I used to make items for displays in m y local wool shops at the age of 18. But my passion is sewing and fabric.

Iā€™ve been creating since I was tiny, we were living overseas, Mum didnā€™t work and school finished at lunchtime so I went to activities after school such as cookery, brownies, country dancing and sewing. Embroidery, patchwork, samplers, appliquĆ© etc from about 7. Mum taught me macrame, at 9 I was cross stitching from graphs, 10 knitted my first jumper and so on. Jewellery kits I remember as presents from about 12. At 14 I discovered Janet Coles Beads (sadly gone), great variety of beads, tools etc. You could buy kits for particular necklaces etc as well as choosing individual beads, and even them readymade. The chunky necklaces were popular with staff at my school, I used to send the catalogue into the staff room, charge the ready made price and order the kits, so my prices were easy and margins already reflected the difficulty. In 6th form I would made stuff for pupils, buying mounts and setting stones of their choice into them. I even had a staff at the craft fair my school held each year. As a relief from my a levels I silversmiths do at night school.

I didnā€™t want to do a levels, I actually got the application for deBeers diamond cutting apprentiship, parents said no. I tried to not go to university, wanting to do City and Guilds in Silversmithing, parents said no. I always cross stitched and knitted but the jewellery fell by the wayside til about 9 years ago, when a friend wanted a special necklace and earring set to go with a dress for her formā€™s prom. This set me off again and Iā€™ve not spotted since, especially when I discovered wire!

Iā€™m sorry that I let myself be talked out of going down the route I wanted for years and let myself think that as I was not good at drawing , I couldnā€™t design. My dream is to be able to make a living from it, even teach it.