Which photo editing software do you use?

I have been having problems with photos - I used to use office photo editor without any problems but then my pics kept rotating on Folksy. Since then I have used picmonkey but now it won’t save my photos. Can you recommend a good free photo editor that isn’t too complicated?

I use Fotor for Mac which is easy to use. I expect there is a windows version but whether it is the same I don’t know :smile:

1 Like

I use Picasa which is pretty straightforward, great if you just want to crop and lighten. For more complicated stuff I use paint.net, it does more but it’s more complicated to use too.

ETA my mum has decided to enter the computer era at the age of nearly 80, she can (usually) manage Picasa :wink:

1 Like

I use Picasa, it was already installed on the laptop, it has all that I need (or understand) I can straighten a wonky image, crop and alter the colours so they’re more true to life and add text if I want. There are lots more filter options and the ability to add frames as well as novelty edits (turn it into a pencil sketch, make the colours neon and lots of others)

1 Like

I use ACDsee photo manager.

1 Like

I use a free one called PhotoScape, I find it easy to use, it has easy to follow video’s for using the ‘tools’ eg, crop, lighten, adding text, boarders and a number of other useful things.

1 Like

Hi - the reason your photos rotate is that the software is reading a tag embedded with the photo that tells it whether it is vertical or horizontal orientation. Check the settings on your camera as you can often turn this auto rotate feature off. It’s sometimes useful to turn it off if you are photographing with your camera looking down on your product - in that situation, the camera gets confused and may tag the photo in the wrong orientation. I will be running a Folksy workshop on product photography in January and will cover how to photograph your items without having to do a lot of editing. I will also be covering a range of different cameras and lighting and also the best value editing software. Let me know if you’re interested - expected cost will be about £60 for a full day.

1 Like

I use the photo editing software that came with my camera to adjust the white balance and brightness and GIMP (which is a free program you can easily search for on the internet) to rotate, crop and edit the minor details. GIMP has lots of different functions but with a bit of experimenting you can find the most useful tools quite quickly.

1 Like

I’m pleased that it’s not just me that’s having issues with Picmonkey. I thought I was really messing something up somewhere.

I use something called iPHoto’s on the mac and Lightroom again for a MAC. That maybe way more than you need though.

1 Like

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don’t really want to have to use a new programme but picmonkey is being so hit and miss.

1 Like

I have discovered that picmonkey works ok in Chrome but not IE for some reason.

If you really want good results, forget the free software out there. You don’t need to spend a fortune on Photoshop although this can do just about anything. I’ve used photo editing software for over thirty years and there is nothing better than Lightroom. It’s been written from the ground up for photographers and the workflow and tools it provides are designed to be easy to use yet powerful. It will make quick work of all your colour correction needs and can be set up to easily adjust multiple photos and upload then to Folksy. In addition to extensive editing capabilities, it can keep track of all your images effortlessly. The latest ‘Creative Cloud’ version of both Lightroom and Photoshop are available for £6.75 per month or you can buy a copy of Lightroom for around £100. If you look on Ebay, you will also find it available for less than this as other people who had bought it, switch to the cloud and are selling their old copies.

I use Adobe Photoshop, Canva. But if you do Jewellery Photo Editing or something else, you need Adobe Photoshop. It is good for any kind of photo editing.

Photoshop Elements is a slimmed down version of Photoshop, it has the main features but is cheaper!
Helen

Snapseed is a great app for editing pictures on your phone - and its free. Very quick and easy to use.

I use Photo which comes with the Mac and then Fotor for Mac for collages etc.

Photoshop every time.

Hi…I edit my photos on my tablet just in google photos but if I make a collage I use adobe, just the free version.

I do sllmy work on my laptop because I touch type And have bigger fingerebds then my phone keys. I will leave what I typed there to show you what happens when I type on the phone :joy:
So I need my editing software on my laptop and edit on there, not online. .I use Micrografx which is a pre Photoshop package, 20 times simpler but a bit incompatible now with windows 10. But I manage .
Always on the look out for replacement. Do you mean you edit on a laptop with yours Adam d not online ?

Ps I use Collage maker for my collages. It makes really neat ones if I give it a square rootable number of square pictures. If I quickly number them in the order I want it orders them where I want them too.

1 Like