Who's on Instagram

Found you (and the little one :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:) on Instagram. A real, open fire! I love real fires. I miss mine since I moved from an old house to a new one. Makes a home complete :pensive:

Hi Linda, just found you on Insta and Folksy and I’m following you :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hi Aimey, I love your stuffed art, especially Edgar Allan Poe. I’m following you too.

1 Like

Following you now Ellen. Glad to see another ‘jack of all trades’ (like myself). What do they say about variety being ‘the spice of life’, absolutely true :smiley:

1 Like

@DaBeezNeez You are only down the road from me :sunglasses:

1 Like

Really, where are you?

Hastings x

1 Like

Hi Jackie, returned the favour and now following you. Love the anchor buttons.

1 Like

Hi Jenny, loving your instagram page :smile:

1 Like

I am on Instagram you can find me here @bagsofelegance1963 173 followers 274 following and 475 posts, please feel free to follow and I will follow back :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can I just ask about stories on Instagram. Do any of you post stories? Do you read other people’s stories?
I think I’ve accidentally posted things to stories a few times but never really sure what to do and if they disappear? Also, are you supposed to comment on people’s stories as I can’t see where you can comment?

Thanks x

I don’t post stories as I don’t really understand the point of them. They do disappear after a day, and if I’m putting something on instagram it’s normally because I want to show it off. If I don’t think it’s good enough to stay there permanently then it’s probably not interesting enough to share for a day.

They also annoy me because they’re difficult to interact with. You can’t just do a simple like or comment like with a normal post, to reply to a story sends a direct message to the person… so it may be good for starting a conversation with a friend, but most of the time I feel a message is a bit much so I just do nothing, when if it were a normal photo I would have commented (and then it might feel like their post is ignored or unappreciated).

I generally look at the stories of a few close friends, but leave the rest… because I’m sure if it’s anything important/interesting enough they’ll do a normal post about it later.
Although I don’t want to use them myself, I am just starting to do a few practice story posts to understand how they work… because I also have instagram accounts for a couple of local events, and the amount other people use stories, I’m sure they must look at them, so I want to know what to do in case it’s useful to use for the events.

1 Like

Hi there Tracey,
Just looked through your shop, you have some really smart bags that look really well made and comfortable to use, liked a few and followed your shop.
I am also on Instagram, still getting used to it though! My shop is slowly being filled with my original artwork and some prints, take a look if you get chance :smile:
Maria (artilyevercrafter)

1 Like

Thanks Kim, I thought it was only me that didn’t really get the stories thing!
There’s been a few times I’ve wanted to “like” a story but as you say, I didn’t want to send a direct message.
Hmm, maybe I’ll try and post a couple and see if I figure it all out!

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to look and to follow my shop, I will take a peek at your shop and follow back on here and on Instagram :slight_smile:

Aw thank you, so pleased you like my pocket Poe :grin:

I’ve got another question about Instagram - follows/ unfollows.

I usually only follow people back that have content that I am interested in (like other crafters etc) but I have quite a few people follow me that just seem to be promoting merchandise (like t-shirts about pottery) or just have pouty face shots - they have thousands of followers but follow very few - so I don’t usually follow them, so I assume that they are going to unfollow me as soon as they have my follow.

What I’m not so sure about are some crafters that have tens of thousands of followers and only seem to follow about 3-400 people back…is it a common thing in the craft world to do the follow/ unfollow thing or maybe they are just amazingly popular? I’m not too sure how that all works?

Also, the word follow sounds and looks really odd when you’ve said it so many times…lol!

1 Like

Some may just be amazingly popular and have the knack for getting followers and interaction, but I suspect there’s quite a few who do the follow/unfollow thing.

I probably get around 5 new followers a week, but the overall number rarely seems to go up because so many do this. More often they do seem to be merchandise (or Ukrainian accounts for me), but I think there’s some from all sorts of people, I’ve definitely noticed some artist accounts doing it. I guess there must be some sites that suggest it as a way to get followers.

Like you, I normally only follow back if the content interests me (and is a little varied - I want to see a bit more about the person than just what they make).

2 Likes

I like interaction on Instagram. A lot of gem sellers and Unkrainian (like @konyskiw) accounts seem to follow and a few promoters too, pointless people to follow to be honest because all they do is DM and ask for things :roll_eyes:

1 Like