Art Chat : December 2014

Oooh my camel has just sold - it’s been a while since I’ve sold anything that quickly on Folksy!

Well done on the quick sale Stephie, your camel looks like he’s laughing and your hare is cute!

Margaret it’s the Jan one which comes out tomorrow.

Both nice Stephie but I particularly like the hare.

Thanks for the info Tessa I’ll look out for it.

Thanks both :slight_smile:

Here’s a triptych update for anyone who’s following - click on the pic to read the details…

2 Likes

That’s fabulous Stephie, I love it!

I had a good evening at the local art gallery last night. Met some lovely artists and was encouraging them to join Folksy! :slight_smile:

Hello everyone - long time no speak :blush: But I have been popping in to lurk here and on FB.

Margaret - your cross stitch pictures are brilliant. What patience you must have. Are you still painting?
Hazel - there’s so much depth in your wax pictures and they have a lovey softness to them. I think the lavender is my favourite this time.
Tessa - well done on the scarf sale and the silk printing kit - I’m tempted to give it a go in the New Year :smile: Would I be all right with it as an absolute beginner?
Stephie - I like the new pen, it’s a beautiful colour. And the tryptich’s looking fabulous. Loving the work in progress pictures
Matt - hello and I love Dandelion. Nice to hear another furry has a good home.
Max - so sorry to hear Dad’s back in hospital. I hope he’ll be fully recovered by Christmas.

I have been busy with Jury Service (sigh) and my last Christmas commission. Here she is, an E-Type Jag:

I have another commission to start in the New Year - a tabby cat! I’ve not done a cat before so any tips on painting fur would be very, very appreciated.

Take care all

Gaynor x

Wow Stephie - amazing texture and I love the contrast between the dark
of the rocks and orange of the sky. I’m not surprised the customer loves it.

Hi Gaynor nice to see you back :slight_smile: I’ve never done Jury service, was it difficult? Wow that Jag is amazing, you’re really good at cars. My best tip for cats is don’t try to paint every hair - paint clumps of fur and then add some fine details here and there. Negative painting is a very useful technique here.

Thanks for the rock love, they were not easy! I used a heavy body texture medium and heavy body acrylics mixed together and sculpted them.

This is the middle of the three paintings with some rocks in place. No texture medium on these as they’re further away, but I did use the heavy body paints.

I’ve had to clear out of son’s room as he’s coming home tomorrow for the Xmas break so I’m taking the triptych to art club this morning where I can set them up side by side to work a bit more on them.

Hi Gaynor, great to see you here again! The car is amazing! I love red shiny cars!lol

I haven’t painted for several weeks now. I’ll come back to it at some point but at the moment I’m so enjoying the sewing I’ll stick to that till I get fed up of it. I go through phases and just do whatever I feel like doing, that’s the joy of being a amateur! :smile:

Your paintings are coming on really well Stephie.

Gaynor what a lovely car painting. The silk painting kit is suitable for a complete beginner. The instructions are in the Leisure Painter for Jan supposedly out today.

I haven’t had mine yet has yours come Margaret?

Just had a fab lunch out with the watercolour classes at the local Italian restaurant. We were given a complementary limoncello at the end a a little panetonne with chocolate bits in it. Then we swarmed over the road to the gallery. I was pleased to find out that my canvas of the lavender field had sold.

1 Like

As promised here’s my parrot, still tailless, but the body is finished and I’ve done some of the backstitching to outline some features

Tessa, my Leisure Painter mag has arrived today and I’ve seen your article but not yet had time to properly read it, looks good! :smile:

2 Likes

Wow, your parrot is splendid and coming along fast Margaret.
Glad u got your magazine, hope mine arrives tomorrow.

If any of you send for the kit I would suggest you ask for a pot of Silkcraft iron fix paint in pink as well then you’ll be set up for a range of colour mixes. I didn’t include it for the LP project as it wasn’t needed for the poinsettia project and I wanted to keep the price of the kit as low as poss.
It’s about another £1.75, no extra postage.

1 Like

Good morning everyone.

Triptych is looking fab Stephie and I love love your Hare
well done on the sale and the article Tessa, I did go visit your blog and left a comment I hope :smile:
your parrott is looking fab Margaret, very handsome
Hi Gaynor, excellent jag too, I’ve no tips for painting animals at all I’ve only ever done pen and wash ones lol!
love the lavender Hazel great colour combination

I’ve not done anything new painting wise been busy making up some new ink and mixed media pendants for next fair, but here’s a sneak peak at a few ink art pendants I’m working on for a commission, customer has opted for the pale silver and white version with beads so the other will be for stock

1 Like

Lovely work everyone, the car is fab Gaynor :slight_smile:

Loving the parrot Margaret

Great to see how you large commission is going Stephie.

Lovely Max, hope all goes well at your next fair, I’m doing my mini one tomorrow so need to get my case packed lol I take it all in a rolling suitcase … couldn’t get much done yesterday very frustrating i was in the middle of a clients website update and we had a power cut … 6 hours in all, so i’ve been working this morning and have lots to do today …

Hope you all have a good weekend …

Hazel

and Brenda @teabreaks if you read this Happy Birthday :slight_smile:

They are very pretty Max.

Hope everyone is busy enjoying themselves!

Happy Birthday to Brenda if you’re still reading :smile:

1 Like

This thread seems to have died a death since Brenda left, but to try to keep it going I’ll add some more work in progress, this is this weekend’s work so far, the beginnings of the second parrot! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Your cross stitch is looking amazing, Margaret! :smile:
I have been doing lots of crafting, but not much painting lately, so haven’t been on this thread much. I don’t think I have shown this version of Plymouth Hoe though…

3 Likes

Lovely lighthouse Pam, I especially love the colours in the sky. Glad you like my cross stitch, off to do some more now :slight_smile:

1 Like