Calling all Artists

Good Evening Folksters

I am a new folksy seller and also a new artist

I have been been working at it for four months now and have a deep love of it.

A decision was made to try and display and hopefully sell some of my work.

I have set up my store with lovely photos, good SEO and keywords, set up the relevant social media and got started.

The main problem is no one seems to want my work :frowning:

It’s there anything else I can do to try and improve my store?

Can people take a look and see if there’s anything they like or dislike about my set up and feed it back to me

I would really appreciate it

The link is
https://folksy.com/shops/GarrysPaintStudio

4 Likes

Hi Garry.
The great thing about art is that someone, somewhere is going to like it. They have to find it of course. So, for SEO, I would say more about what the paintings are about at the beginning of your listing. As you haven’t mentioned locations, I assume they’re imaginary landscapes, so you should mention that. Put a description of the painting at the top of the listing and your processes further down. Google tends to pull the first part of a listing, so in some cases Google might be pulling all the detail about the paint colours you’re using and you might be appearing alongside tubes of paint on Google! Personally, I wouldn’t say in your description that you painted your palm trees after watching a Youtube tutorial. You might be encouraging people to do the same, rather than buying yours! Others may disagree with me on that one.
I would make more use of social media. Instagram has been good for me. Pop your Instagram handle here New sellers, leave your Instagram link here. Folksy member are a good bunch we will follow you and do what we can. Instagram is nothing without hashtags, it’s how you get found. Use things like #originalart #acrylicpainting #oilpainting #mountainlandscapepainting #imaginarylandscape. Look at other artists on Instagram who do similar, what hashtags do they use? What hashtags did you use to find them? Could you use them yourself?Follow them, they will likely follow back. Some of their followers might be buyers. Use Instagram too to tell a story of your work, perhaps do some “work in progress” posts so that people can see your process. People like that!
Social media is a must but it is a marathon rather than a sprint. Today’s follower might be tomorrow’s buyer.
I would be inclined to call yourself a “developing” artist, rather than a new one. We are all developing after all.
One more thing. Perhaps experiment with smaller works, perhaps 12" x 8". People don’t have the wall space they once had. My 16" x 12" are my slowest sellers (to the point I rarely do them now). 12" x 8" sell well and I go smaller still (and they sell).

7 Likes

Hi Garry
As Grayson Perry has said more than once ‘a career as an artist is a marathon not a sprint’. You’ve done a lot of work in a short space of time. Chris Stone @ChrisStoneArtist has already offered sensible advice so apart from following his suggestions if I were you I might kick back and relax.

1 Like

Hi Garry,
Welcome! I’m also new to Folksy (about ?6 weeks) and I think @ChrisStoneArtist has provided very good advice. Here is what I would say:

• become a PLUS member in order to be able to relist as often as you want. Basically, if someone just wants to browse paintings, rather than searching for something specific, if you have recently re-listed you will show up nearer the top of the results.
    -maybe join in the 365 challenge next month? We all click on each other’s work and help to promote it. See the May thread for details.
    -maybe rename the collections with themes rather than sizes, e.g landscapes, mountains etc. Dont forget that a work can be in more than one collection.
  • I would agree with Chris about not calling yourself a new artist. If people like your work, that’s what’s important- it’s not so relevant how long you’ve been doing it or whether you have ‘professional training’ (I have been painting for about 18 months and have no formal education in it, apart from GCSE 20+ years ago!). If you advertise yourself as solely a ‘hobbyist’ I reckon people aren’t as inclined to buy…i.e they may think if its a hobby it’s just for your enjoyment- why should they spend their money on your hobby? My painting is also ‘just a hobby’- I rent a studio, which might make me sound more ‘serious’ but that’s more because I like having the space to spill acrylic everywhere :))
    Hope that helps
3 Likes

Thank you… I have taken your advice.

Fingers crossed

Thanks.

I have 3 big canvases left so after that will add a few smaller ones

Have altered my descriptions of myself and my work.

come and join us on the art chat thread on the forums…lots of other artists who will give you good advice…everyone is lovely and there is always someone there to help you

3 Likes

@GarrysPaintStudio I think the changed description ‘painting is my passion’ sounds so much better (people pay for passion- as it were!)

I like the effects you have done on a couple of pictures with mountains, showing snowy highlights and the slope faces.Maybe try out some heavy body acrylics sometime with that kind of thing, they don’t blend like oils but it could be interesting to try painting techniques without blending. Just a thought anyway. Happy painting :slight_smile:

Hi Garry, when I’ve found a way to sell my oil paintings online I will let you know the secret. (I have to find it though) good luck and keep going.

Hi Garry, perseverance is the key, believe in what you do and dont forget you paint because you enjoy it first and foremost.

Your work has a touch of Bob Ross to it, I mean that as a complement. Also, I think your prices are rather low for an original oil, when you consider the materials and time needed to dry and store. Could this be working against you?

Best of luck.

Thanks I really appreciate it, It’s nice that to hear nice things about my work

It’s funny you mention price, it’s the biggest umm and aah that I have. I never know quite what to charge.

There’s a big part of me that thinks that my paintings should be at a higher price… but there’s another part of me that thinks if I do it will put people off.

Would you have any input on this?