Can you have 'writers block' in crafting?

Frequently happens to me. I’ve been struggling a bit for the last few days. I’ve done three loads of washing and made a batch of apple and blackberry crumbles today, but only a half finished card on my desk. :blush:

I wonder if it’s the time of year for knitting? I seem to be more in the mood for it just lately.

Blackberry and Apple crumble sounds good Alison @FluffStuffCrafts

I did this earlier on in the year, so I covered everything up neatly and treated myself to a set of books. (about knitters who solve murders) I then found my mojo returned with vigour. I think it helps to do something new for a change ie knitting a scarf etc

Red for me please :heart_eyes:

Those books sound intriguing Rachel @Glehcar

I think you might be right. I only ever seen to knit on the colder months or when my friends have babies.

Sarah @plainprimitives they were a set of really light, easy books but with a knitting theme and knitting patterns in. I have put a link on for you, but dont think I am being daft if you want to borrow them I am more than happy to myhermes the set to you?

http://www.maggiesefton.com/knitting.html

Oh that’s lovely of you Rachel, are you sure? Obviously I’ll pay the postage. I’m out most of today but will message you this evening if that’s ok :relaxed:

1 Like

I think sometimes it’s so easy to find other things to do when your ‘creative side’ wants a rest to admire all your pretty beads, fabrics, threads… etc But sometimes it gets in the way of making your/our businesses work. As I’m really good at avoiding…'cos some days it’s hard, I’ve developed my self a plan. (Really want this business to work) The plan doesn’t always work… sometimes the need to admire threads, browse patterns, seek the perfect button, oh and then sort them into sizes and then perhaps into colours is too great. But, back to the plan… what I’ve been doing in recent months as an antidote is make a ‘To do List’ at the end of each day for the following day. It has to be doable, so not a thousand things just a few things that move everything else forward. For example: today I’ve set myself up an instagram account as I keeping reading/being told that it’s great for ‘creatives’ in getting their work out there. I’ve hunted down folk to follow so I’ve a few boards to look at and the next few days I’ll build a few photo’s on my own. One the list are also some business phone calls I need to make and I need to make up some fresh chemical for my dyeing work. The list however short gives me a focus and that way it gets done. Whatever else I do is a bonus. Overall I’ve moving forward. (or so I tell myself.)

I think the secret is, is to do something small each day. And in that way, over a period of time, al those small things add up to quite a bit of progress. Having said that, my sewing machine has been unused since the start of September… :wink:

I know the feeling. I keep buying wool, have lots of ideas, then find the room is so untidy that I can’t find what I need. Then I see the ever growing like of things to be finished off, I hate sewing my knitting up. Sometimes I just stand in the room stroking wool. I may need therapy! But, I think I’m ready for my next bit of knitting now, but not with the alpaca wool, which I fear I may never use, it’s too lovely.

1 Like

I think the trouble is that crafters by nature get waylaid by sorting stuff like networking and paperwork. I’m not keen on doing it but don’t feel I deserve to craft until I’ve got the other bits and bobs out of the way.

Did nothing crafty today and have come home with a headache so may try and count my last 3 strands of beads, and then I’ll be all counted up.

Trouble is I usually do my tax return in October …. :worried: So I guess that’s the next thing to concentrate on.

You are right Heidi, baby steps :relaxed:

1 Like

Yep stroking wool, I know the feeling except with me it was fabric, and knowing there were certain ones I wouldn’t use :relieved:

2 Likes

Yes I get this quite offtern which annoys me as I do have the ideas but never get going on it.

Glad others get this too thought it was only me :laughing:

I understand that one. It’s a hateful job. It ought to be simpler than it is. I’ve spent the last week sorting out all my bits and bobs and I always start out by thinking it’s all organised and then you begin and it takes forever. Last night I found myself cutting out bits of fabric for bag when everyone else had gone to bed. It’s a bit sad but I just need to do it as a kind of antidote to all the other stuff. Must be some kind of compulsion perhaps there’s medical name for it ? :smile:

I make jewellery too, and buy far too many beads etc. Then ocassionally sit there and can’t make anything. I think maybe I made more items in the beginning with fewer beads. Perhaps overstocking dries up our creativity.
I also make sculptures and get ‘dry periods’ where you just have to leave it alone for a while. At present I am reorganising my workroom ( chucking out materials to make room to work) been overstocking there too!

2 Likes

I agree with you Sandra, I also made a lot more when I didn’t have so many beads, I used to buy with ideas in mind and use all the supplies up creating roughly a dozen items. I got my stuff out this morning to create something but did nothing, I just spend ages going through everything to see what will go with what and then I can’t come up with anything because there are so many to go through. Would you believe I have got some more on order waiting to be delivered.

I am actually enjoying a craft free day - sometimes you just need to take a break. I spend a lot of time procrastinating and not getting much done and letting everything else (housework/paperwork etc) slip as well. Sometimes its best just to say no to crafting and get on with something else then when you return I find you are much more productive, especially if you have managed to get on top of everything else and you are not thinking about other things. Tomorrow might be craft free too if I can persuade myself to do some more cleaning!

1 Like

I only have 1 craft idea at the moment which I am slowly getting on with. I have a Halloween version of the idea to make but Im taking so long Halloween will be over by the time its made.

1 Like