Can you help me work this out?

I have recently really tried to revive my Folksy shop. I am trying to add new product, relist expired cards and promote on social media. Every day I post on Twitter one card from my Folksy shop and one card from another well known site. When I post the link to folksy I rarely get any views showing on my stats yet when I post links to the other site I always get views. Anyone shed any light on why Twitter isn’t working for Folksy?

I’ve just clicked through to the last 6 cards you tweeted and got 4 linking to etsy but only 2 linking to folksy - shouldn’t there be equal numbers of cards for each site? I don’t know if twitter can favour certain tweets when displaying a feed (I’m looking at your shop feed rather than a feed of people I’m following) and if it might become biased towards tweets to etsy if they have been better recieved in the past. Susan @dottiedesigns is probably the best person to help you out with your query as she has plenty of experience tweeting for shops on both sites under her guise of british crafters. If memory serves from a previous thread she found she got a better response tweeting posts with folksy links using a different scheduler to the one she uses for etsy. Hopefully she has the time to respond and shed more light on that.

Wow thanks Sasha that’s interesting. I do try and keep my tweets equal but sometimes it depends on what I want to promote (not everything is in my Folksy shop and I am trying to list 1 a day!)

1 Like

I don’t think Twitter has that kind of bias. Rather, I think there is a fair sized audience that searches for tweets containing the word or hashtag “Etsy.” A lot of them seem to live in Germany and the USA (at least if my stats are anything to go by). Also Etsy tweets come up with a photo of the product and Folksy tweets have no photo and so go unnoticed except by other Folksy people who are using “Folksy” as a search term or hashtag. A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say.

Sam x

However, it is only fair to point out that Twitter is not great for me for generating sales. Nearly all of my custom on Folksy has come from my FB page and I have yet to make a sale on Etsy, despite generating many more views than I ever get on Folksy. Given the choice (which I always do) my FB fans prefer to use Folksy, even if they have never used the platform before-which is a great vote of confidence for Folksy and what they do.

Sam x

1 Like

Just a thought but rather than tweeting about both shops on the same day try doing multiple tweets about one shop one day and the other shop on the next day. It might have no effect but its got to be worth a try.

Thanks Samantha that’s interesting. I have just noticed if I don’t tweet my sales dip. I can’t actually correlate a link to which item I have tweeted about very often!
Also I don’t tend to tweet directly from listings. I use buffer then add the link and a photo so all my tweets have a picture… I also don’t use the hashtag Etsy. I use the various networking pages as hashtags as this gets me retweets so essentiaqlly all my tweets look the same!?

1 Like

Yes it might have some effect, I’ll try that!

Are you tweeting them all with photos?

Folksy direct tweets out have no photo whereas Etsy does. On BC promo I found that the stats for no photo tweets to be significantly lower that with photo which is why I now pay for the upgraded Buffer account that allows me to schedule most of the Folksy shops tweets via there with an uploaded photo.

This really helps with engagement for the Folksy shops. Would really help if it just did a photo like it does on the Dark Side.

PS On BC I think Twitter generates the most sales for promoted shops but that maybe because my audience is so big now :slight_smile:

PS Ignore all above as you are tweeting using photos!! :slight_smile: lol!

1 Like

I notice that every time I tweet from the other side I get several immediate views of the item I tweeted - I do wonder if they are real or just bots.

1 Like

Don’t depress me Roz! All views gained seem like hard work. Please don’t tell me they aren’t even real!!!

1 Like

Just to point out that tweets direct from you Folksy listing now contain a photograph. I have noticed it doesn’t always appear straight away but does appear after a couple of minutes on those occasions.

2 Likes

Oooh - that’s good! Must have missed that! Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, photo’s do appear with folksy tweets now, although I always added a photo anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like