Deleting my account

How can I delete my account if I cant pay my unbilled bill ???

Bills are sent out on the last day of the month (if you owe more than £2). You should be able to pay it tomorrow and then delete your account after that. If it’s less than £2 you might have to contact admin for advice.

Bumping this.
Tried to leave folksy today. When I joined it told me “Delete account at any time” but I now have this unexplained 86p bill which is preventing me from leaving, and no indication about where it came from or what it relates to. Is this a sneaky ploy to stop us leaving? Because it certainly looks that way. “at any time” is a lie isn’t it.

update - received an email explaining that the 86p bill was for transaction fee & VAT on a sale. Why wasn’t it taken from the card I provided for sales? This bill has been lingering in my folksy account for 2 months and not a single notification about it in my email. It looks like a mechanism for capture, preventing leavers.

Because of the fees that Folksy get charged for processing payments they only issue us bills when we owe them over £2, if you want to see how much money you owe them and for what, its visible via the ‘bill’ tab on the left hand side of your dashboard. Folksy doesn’t actually store our card/ bank details as the payments for sales are made via third party payment processors, either paypal or stripe, so they can’t automatically bill you for any unpaid fees. They have an arrangement with stripe for them to collect Folksy’s commission at the point of sale but they don’t have a similar agreement with paypal so your sale must have paid for via paypal.

7 Likes

This seems like a mechanism to hold on to customers who are potentially leaving. I literally tried to leave before this fee appeared and stopped me from doing so.

The fee will have been there since you made the sale, it just won’t have shown as a bill because it’s not at £2 yet. This is how Folksy works. While you’re a member they don’t chase you for amounts under £2, they just roll it over to the next month (and the next) until you get over that amount, so that they’re not getting a large amount of payments that are mostly taken by processing fees.

These little amounts that haven’t been billed don’t affect your account in any way, unless you decide to leave. You can delete your Folksy account at any time, but you have to make sure you’ve paid for these little outstanding fees first (like you wouldn’t expect to leave a restaurant without paying for the food you’ve had, even if it was just a little bit. You can leave when you want, but you have to wait to be billed). That may mean you can’t delete your account yourself immediately, but have to wait for Folksy support to do this once you’ve let them know that you’ve paid (because it’s not done with the usual bill system, the payment has to be checked and the fee cleared from your account manually). That shouldn’t take longer than 24 hours, so while it’s not quite immediately, they’re not stopping you from leaving and you can make the decision to go at any time, it just might take a day to get everything sorted.

I now know about the fee. I didn’t before I tried to leave. When I tried to leave Folksy and delete my account (“You can delete your account at any time”) I was prevented from doing so by this outstanding amount. I believe that this is a deliberate and unnecessary mechanism to place hurdles in front of people trying to leave and I will not be swayed from this. Just like another form of digital corporate capture.

It’s not unnecessary though, it needs to be done to get the money owed. They can’t charge your card because Folksy don’t hold card details. Even if you have a Plus account, the bank details are held by GoCardless and not Folksy, and they can only take the amount agreed to when you sign up to the direct debit, they can’t randomly take out whatever money they want.

If fees aren’t owed, all it takes to delete an account is to go to the account deletion page and put in your email address. Folksy are not forcing anyone to stay or making it impossible to leave.

3 Likes