Despondent!

Hey there.
I’ve been listing my crafts for the last 4 months and have not made one sale. Would you take a look at my shop and letting me know where I’m going wrong? Photos, prices, range of products…

Thanks a bunch.

1 Like

Hi, your shop looks great and your images and descriptions are good, so I don’t think you are doing anything wrong! Do use all your tags, and as you have a plus account it’s worth regularly relisting your items to get them further up the search results. The items I looked at were listed a while ago so will have fallen down the rankings over time. Hope this helps a bit and good luck!

I think you have some absolutely beautiful items and your shop looks lovely. I don’t see any social media links though, so perhaps that is something you could work on.

1 Like

As you have a plus account set up collections under shop settings in the dashboard. This tidies up your front page.

You can also add a minimum of 3 items again from shop settings, shop keeping to show at the top of your shop.

1 Like

Your items are lovely. I agree with the comments above and maybe participate in the threads on this forum, theme of the day etc as it all helps. If you’re not one for social media (yet!), take the plunge and start working away at it and build it up - lots of us have just learned it as we go, from each other etc. It does take a while.

Can’t remember how many months before I finally sold something when I started but it was quite a few. Usually sales start to pick up in the run up to Christmas (I found this even in years when I had no time to promote my shop at all) so hang in there and good luck.

2 Likes

Your items are lovely, it’s just a case of getting yourself seen and known about. Maybe you could join in the Daily listing challenge in October, you have enough items in your shop to show one every day? We’re a friendly bunch and everyone helps to promote each other’s shops.

1 Like

Hello,
Just checked your page.
Items are beautiful and photos are good.
Think it’s just Folksy not picking up.
We’ve been on it think over a year and only made 2 sales.
Not sure what is going on…
But we are doing sort of average on Etsy/depop as well.
Maybe customers are spending less due to what’s going on…
All we can say say just keep going on, sure you will lucky streak.
Good luck ….

1 Like

@KnotandStitch I would agree with trying to add some more tags to your items as tags are the most important to help get found in Folksy search.

There’s a good blog post to help come up with tag ideas here: How to use tags on Folksy
So for items like your heart decorations, the tags only mention heart once in the “wooden heart” tag. It might be good to also have “heart decoration”, “hanging heart”, “heart decor”. As you also have a star on some of them, it’d be good to have “star” in the tags for those too.

@ThatCrochetLadyUK Your tags are written as you would use for Instagram (some with # and words run together), but they won’t work well on Folksy. Get rid of the # and put spaces between the words, and that might help people find your items more.

4 Likes

Thank you for all your comments. They are so helpful. I didn’t know how to properly use my page so I’m working on it all.

And thank you for the vote of confidence in my creations.

Thank you for pointing this out.
Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.
Still learning how to use Folksy…
Thank you again

This year has been very slow. I didn’t sell anything for three months and have only sold a handful of things since. It can only get better!

I think you could improve your photography. Your chopping boards look great but they blend in to the hessian background. You need a contrast between the board and the background. Take a look at Photoboards for example! That will give you some background ideas. https://www.photoboards.org/

Thanks KusumaDesigns. Good point. I’ll bring in some colour/ contrast.

Voirrey

Your items are lovely, and I hope you get some sales soon :slight_smile: It’s been a funny year for selling, but hopefully the run up the Christmas will get busier.

I think you have some great items.
Really picky, but have very similar items listed alongside each other. Try splitting them up by resequencing in the Shopkeeping function. If anyone wants to look at similar items they can use the collection - just my opinion - I’m sure others will differ :slight_smile:
I know that most of my Folksy sales come from posts I’ve made on Facebook & Instagram
Keep the faith - we’re heading up to Christmas and your items are ideal as gifts

I understand how you feel. I have been longer without a sale and it does make you feel like giving up

Would some kind person have a look at my shop too please and let me know where I am going wrong. Thanks in advance.

Morning all. Have to say I’m feeling a bit the same - this is the quietest it’s been for me since I started up three years ago. It’s not easy but I’m trying to take comfort from the fact that it’s not just me - I think many customers have been getting back out into the real world & are spending money at actual craft fairs, pubs, restaurants etc. Plus all the kids are back at school, people getting credit card bills for summer spending., Hopefully things will pick back up online as the weather gets colder & people are home more, plus Christmas!

1 Like

Sandy @SandyFryerArtistPoet - you have some really beautiful items. I think perhaps you could look at updating some of your titles - you have a description of the image, but not what it is - the Folksy search function looks through title, description & tags so try & put as much information in as possible in all of those areas.

As an example for this painting:

The title could be Tulips in Green Vase - Oil painting on Canvas.
Then add a bit more into the description - did you paint it from real life, or a photo? Could the painting be framed, or does it have fixings on the back to be hung up? How will you post the item out to the customer - will it be well packaged, will you use Royal Mail or a courier? Maybe include an extra photo of the painting hanging or propped up with some props in shot that would give a sense of scale. Try to think as if you were your own customer - what would you need to know before making a purchase, & make sure you answer all of those potential questions.

I also think that the listing photos where you have a close up of the artwork work best. So maybe for you bags & aprons show a main photo of the artwork, the the second photo zoomed out to show what it is - making sure you’ve added info in the title so people know it’s a ‘Yorkshire themed artwork & poetry apron - adult size’

Hope that helps! And as I said above, try not to take it to heart, things are certainly slow at the minute!

2 Likes

Thanks so much Dee will look into that

1 Like