Do you use plastic-free packaging?

Being a knitter, it is fairly easy to send things plastic-free.
I am also trying to focus on natural materials, especially cotton. And to make washable items to reduce waste.

Christine, I always ‘rescue’ pieces of bubble wrap from the fruit and veg section of supermarkets. I am sure they only throw them away otherwise.

2 Likes

To be honest, up until recently I hadn’t really thought much about my packaging.

I have always reused boxes and packing paper, but I also reuse plastic bubblewrap.
And am guilty of going overboard on larger items with cellophane.

However, I am increasingly aware of the need to rethink some of my packaging, and am moving away from cellophane.

Sarah x

1 Like

Thanks tina :blossom::blossom::blossom:

I always try to recycle fabric/buttons/elastic/ribbon/stuffing/etc if it is in good condition. The majority of my items are posted in cardboard boxes and wrapped in Brown paper and string. I do use some sellotape but I have been told about paper tape which is more environmentally friendly, so I will use this in future. Also have solar panels, so this helps with the electricity

“Cellophane” bag users - you can now get real cellophane again i.e. not plastic but made from cellulose. https://www.bagnboxman.co.uk/blog/what-is-cellulose/ Suppliers are starting to get the message that we want environmentally friendly packaging.

Fantastic to hear so many folks are aware and taking action. I trained as an ecologist so I am big on being environmentally responsible with my business.

How strict is the definition of ‘plastic free’ for this? I sadly can’t claim to be 100% plastic free as many of my materials are sent in plastic packaging and postage envelopes with plastic elements. I also still have to use Sellotape and parcel tape to keep the Post Office happy.

I make sure I do not add any more plastic to the process though. I even handmake my own gift boxes using recycled card and paper. All office paper is recycled, I re-use the envelopes materials arrive in to ship orders, etc…

So clarification of just how strict this plastic free promotion is would be much appreciated.

1 Like

It’s not a strict plastic-free promotion, Kerry, as it’s clear from this thread that lots of sellers also use recycled packaging and many of you are in the process of changing your packaging and using recycled or plastic-free products where possible.

You can see the guide we’ve compiled so far here, which is what we’ll be linking to from the blog post - https://folksy.com/themes/recycled-plastic-free-packaging

2 Likes

Hi Camilla, I do as much as is possible, my bears, dolls etc are all sent with tissue paper wrapping which I buy in huge amounts, orders locally i.e customer collections are sent in tissue and in Bear themed paper bags but I do have some items still in my shop i.e. pictures that I wouldnt risk without some sort of protection so I save bubble wrap, cushion wrap etc and recycle to use on delicate items.

It’s not really natural to take something from a living breathing sentient, either their flesh or their fur, or wool.

I have been told off by reusing small boxes from when I was on the dark side. One guy actually complained to etsy about me using a recycled one. Also flebay buyers can be the same too, don’t like you using a written on envelope, even though I covered it .

1 Like

I’ve never actually had any direct complaints, but I did apologise to the customer in advance for one particularly scruffy package :smile: I still got good feedback. I don’t care about ebay customers- they’ve probably paid as little as possible anyway! :grin:

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that none of us would be alive today were it not for the entirely natural things, wool for example, with which we clothed our bodies against the cold.
http://www.campaignforwool.org/about-wool/
There is a balance to everything and nature has always provided such a balance and will undoutedly continue to do so.

2 Likes

Hi Camilla,
It’s great to hear that we are waking up to just how much plastic we use and dispose of. I’ve noticed lately my soap supplier deliveries have been arriving with eco-padding rather than the usual poly-fill chips. I made the choice to create palm-free soap recipes several years ago purely because of the rainforest destruction and environmental sustainability issues caused by creation of palm plantations. There is certified sustainable palm oil available but there even appears to be doubts over the actual traceabilty and source of it in many instances, according to Greenpeace. I have opted to use sustainable paper-based materials with eco-padding for wrapping and packaging & I make shampoo bars which removes the need for plastic shampoo bottles. It feels like an overwhelming mountain to climb but as the lady on BBC 2’s ‘Springwatch’ programme recently said…‘Saving the planet isn’t hard, you just have to start in your own back-yard’. I’ve included a link to Greenpeace which might be of interest…
https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/time-running.

1 Like

I use recycled packaging, but have to use plastic sleeves to keep my paintings dry, and sellotape until my current role are used up and I can switch to paper tape. Is masking tape the same as paper tape?

I also have suppliers send me things in plastic, but try to deal with those that use biodegradable, and any that don’t, I’ve found that ocado will take my plastic bags and recycle them. As you say, it’s hard to be 100% plastic free, especially when you can’t control what’s sent to you. There are companies that make sticky labels that are made from recycled and plastic free materials… That does help as well!

I’m updating my packaging as I go…
I make lingerie, so hygiene is very important…recycling old packing just isn’t an option for me…
So I’ve shifted from poly bags, to printed envelopes, and paper bags…couldn’t find the packing I wanted online… so I just print my own…
It’s a little more rustic than my previous packing…but still floral and pretty…and it does give me a few more options to sneak in a tiny wee bit more branding…
I’ve not updated all my tags…just a few…but all come in the new packaging…

Yes! It’s really important to me to use eco-friendly packaging for my jewellery! I wanted a kraft card look to my boxes so I found a company that makes recycled card boxes - they’re called Eco-Craft - they are carbon neutral and use recycled waste from UK and EU! When selling in person, I was going to use paper bags, but as I thought people may just throw/recycle them straight away, I use fabric organza bags, something I hope people can keep and re-use! As far as envelopes go, I’m looking into eco-friendly bubble wrap Jiffy bag alternatives - although at the moment I re-use all of the jiffy type bags I receive and I haven’t really had to purchase brand new envelopes so far!! :grin:. I am also looking into the materials I actually use in my jewellery itself - such as using a brand new type of thermo-plastic that you can put into moulds - but under certain conditions is fully biodegradable!!!

3 Likes

Hello Camilla. I recently upgraded my packaging and and also made it plastic free, recyclable & biodegradable, sustainably sourced paper and card… Tissue paper & cotton bakers twine gift wrap, cardboard box (part recycled) wrapped in brown paper, paper tape with plant based adhesive. It took a while to research and compare products but the upgrade was worth it, - had lots of compliments (FB & Instagram) and a lovely review (on Etsy) yesterday! Previously I’ve used recyclable plastic mailers , but apparently they are rarely recycled by most councils.

I haven’t managed to go completely plastic free yet - I still use a small piece of bubble wrap to protect my jewellery (wrapped in new tissue) in transit, although the rest is plastic free and I rescue and reuse bubble wrap from things sent to me as far as possible, rather than buy new.
Interestingly one of my bead suppliers is working on going plastic free and sends beads either in little paper bags or recycles existing plastic bags. For years I have been saving the tiny bags beads come in as I don’t want to put them in the rubbish. The nice lady who runs this bead supply place has just agreed to take all my old plastic bags to reuse. Result! It’s only a small step, but it’s one in the right direction.

2 Likes