Documents for identity check

I’m currently trying to apply for an iZettle account so that I will be able to take card payments at craft fairs over the christmas period. They need to verify my identity and to do so need a copy of my driving licence or passport (no problem) and a copy of one of the following a utility bill, council tax bill or hmrc tax document (less than 3 months old). And here lies the problem, my husband is responsible for all the utility bills/council tax bills and they are therefore all in his name and the latest correspondence I have from the tax office was in June (more than 3 months ago). Anyone else had this problem. So frustrating when the process should be relatively simple.

This is a problem that happens a lot I’m afraid if you don’t have utility bills in both names :frowning:

I thankfully have my BT landline in my name.

What you can try is a copy of your marriage license if you are married with a utility bill in your partners name.

Is your name on the rent or mortgage agreement it will be on your council tax.

Go for the paypal one it is instant if you have a paypal account.

I had that problem with Amazon, apparently to sell on there they wanted photo ID - i don’t drive so never needed a driving license, never been abroad so don’t have a passport and so don’t have any form of photo ID. All i have is my birth certificate and some bills,bank statements. Because years ago that was ok to open bank accounts etc with those i haven’t thought about it being a problem, so i don’t sell my books, CDs and games on Amazon. My children tell me i should just get a passport for ID just in case for the future. I feel so old at 51 without all this modern ID

1 Like

@biskettblue Yvette, I have the same problem, I don’t drive or travel so don’t have either, and they are both very expensive ways of getting a photo ID. You can get a national ID card for about £15 but only some places accept them as ID.
@Rozcraftz have you tried using invoices for the stock and so on you buy, I have used them in the past and they’re usually acceptable to these companies :smile:

Donna x

1 Like

I’ve sometimes had documents in joint names turned down for this sort of proof as well - although that may have something to do with my name, having a letter addressed to ‘mr and mrs smith’ doesn’t prove a great deal!

I do have the water rates in my sole name but then they only come every 6 months so I then have problems with the 3 month rule.

I didn’t have to provide any additional documentary proof when I opened my iZettle account though, other than just link my bank account.