Stripe Email

Hi Folksy Team,

I have recieved an email from stripe asking me to confirm if i have control over my website on folksy and stripe account. they asked me to confirm by email on stripe and folksy and it is the same.

this when on for two weeks going round in circles, now they have asked me for photo of my product.

can you please let me know you experience with stripe and can you get by with out using stripe?

thanks

I no longer use stripe due to trying to prove I was me. Had been with them a year. Sent everything asked and still not enough. They wanted photoid which I do not have. Council tax bills, marriage and birth certificate, you name I sent it.

Never affected me for sales at all, anyone that does not have or want to use PayPal I just send them a SumUp invoice and mark as paid on Folksy.

The reviews on Stripe are not good and being US based makes things harder to deal with them.

4 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

That sounds horrendous trying to prove who you are for a year. I was thinking about closing my account last week, because I was getting no where with customer care team.

I have not heard of Sum Up and will look into them this weekend

R

SumUp are Uk based and far easier to deal with.

Hi There
Do you need to buy a card reader with Sum Up or can you use it like paypal

No you need a chip n pin reader but worth getting.

@GiftsgaloreUK PayPal and Stripe are the only official payment methods on Folksy, which means they’re straightforward for buyers to use and require no extra work from you.

You can also accept other payment methods, but you have to explain to the buyer what they need to do to purchase the item without paying, and then you sort out the payment with them. That means you need to be in contact with the buyer, and anything such as offering to take the payment through SumUp won’t show up on the checkout page.
Some people who accept Stripe get about half PayPal/half Stripe payments, if you’re offering a different payment method then I doubt your split would be that high, and is maybe more just the occasional buyer who really doesn’t want to/can’t use PayPal.

There are plenty of sellers who use Stripe without a problem (personally it’s always been fine for me, I did get the ID check but as I have a passport that wasn’t an issue), and there are also plenty of sellers who only accept PayPal. Not accepting Stripe won’t completely cut down your customers, although some of us receive quite a lot of orders paid by Stripe, if the option wasn’t there a lot of customers would probably just choose PayPal instead, but as there can be a few who won’t/can’t, if you are going to only accept PayPal, it can be good to think up a back up method to offer for those few.

Things like SumUp are great if you also do in person events like craft fairs, as it means those customers can easily pay by card, but if you don’t then it might not be the most cost effective back up method if you have to pay for the card reader.

Thanks Kim. That is really helpful advice and fully explains my options. Take care.
Mary

1 Like

Just to update, my stripe account has been approved. I don’t actually understand how and all the emails stripe send are confusing.