Stripe Photo ID

Any one else been asked to provide Photo ID by Stripe before they make any further payments ? I am a bit suspicious, and don’t really see why they need it…annoyed that they appear to be holding onto a payment until I provide it !

A number of people I know of have been asked to upload photo id but not me - its stripe doing due diligence and checking that you are who you say you are to prevent fraud and money laundering, a bit like when you go into a bank to open a new account and have to take proof of id and proof of address. They hold on to payments for 7 days.

2 Likes

Yea…thing is I’ve been getting Stripe payments for months so its a bit odd that they have only just asked me ! I probably wouldn’t have bothered signing up to take stripe payments had I known…time taken to create a government accepted photo ID would have been a put off for me.

I wonder if this is why I’ve got a Folksy sale email but nothing from stripe but have never been asked to provide any photo ID.

Try logging into your stripe account and see if the transaction and/ or the ID request is on your dashboard (a number of people thought they had it all set up until they logged in).

Thanks Sasha I’ll try that.

When I first set up Stripe - it asked me for photo verification and it said verification required on my dashboard.
I cancelled that account and set up a new one which didn’t ask me for photo ID but luckily Stripe hadn’t gone live here at that point so I hadn’t had a sale.
I did have problems making sure the new account was set up to Folksy though as even though the first Stripe account had been deleted it was still linked to Folksy.

Sorry not much help for those of you with money stuck in Stripe when they then ask for photo ID but it may help someone to know that you can cancel Stripe and re-set it up if you haven’t had any sales.

Well I’ve just checked and my customer has paid and the money will go in my account on 7th February. I’ve not completed any photo ID but I didn’t get an email from them about my sale.
Overall not impressed with Stripe, dislike the delays but that’s how they make their money!

I was asked to provide photo ID yesterday after having used Stripe for transactions before without needing it. I didn’t want to scan my driver’s licence in and put it online. Stripe informed me that I could not receive my balance without this. I closed the account and now Stripe are refunding all my payments back to my customers. Anyone else had this problem? I’m not sure how to resolve this. Stripe are now not responding.
Thanks

Hello , I stopped dealing with Stripe when this happened…completely over the top if you ask me ! Hard to tell if its affected sales…don’t think so though.

I actually felt there was a trust issue as they didn’t ask for ID from me until they had my funds…then like you they refused to send my money …thought that was cheeky !

Rosieandboot

@Rosieandboot I’d recommend contacting admin (support@folksy.com) but I’m not sure how much help they will be able to provide as this is an issue between you and stripe. Stripe are fulfilling their obligations as a banking institution to check your identity and that you are not money laundering (if you went to a bank in this country to set up a new account they would ask for proof of id and address which they would scan and save on file, this is stripe’s equivalent), for some people they have done this at the beginning, for some they appear to be doing it once you reach a certain level of activity.
I would also contact your customers and explain the situation to them so that they know what’s going on and why they have refunds showing up.

Thanks - I’m just going to take the hit because I’m not going to get anywhere by arguing with them, but I’ve never encountered this sort of thing with PayPal for example. You’re right - very cheeky!

Thanks Sasha. It’s a good idea to contact the customer to explain things. Even if I’ve lost funds, at least that relationship can be salvaged.